Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Lady Gaga rallies for 'don't ask, don't tell' repeal in Maine 
    By the CNN Wire Staff

September 20, 2010 7:29 p.m. EDT

"Equality is the prime rib of America," Lady Gaga tells Maine rally

Singer opposes U.S. military's ban on homosexuals serving openly

Maine's senators appear ready to join GOP filibuster

(CNN) -- Declaring that "Equality is the prime rib of America," pop star Lady Gaga urged Maine's two U.S. senators to help break a Republican filibuster on legislation that includes a repeal of the military's ban on openly homosexual service members.

"My name is Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta. I am an American citizen," the singer told a Portland, Maine, rally organized by the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network. She urged Sens. Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe, both Republicans, to support the repeal of the Pentagon's "don't ask, don't tell" rule and share "the greatest cut of meat that my country has to offer" with gays and lesbians in the military.

"Shouldn't everyone deserve the right to wear the same meat dress that I do?" asked the singer, who caught flak for showing up at MTV's Video Music Awards in a dress made of raw meat. "Repeal 'don't ask, don't tell' or go home."

The 24-year-old singer also drew cheers by proposing a new law, titled, "If you don't like it, go home," which would remove homophobic straight soldiers from the military instead of gay soldiers.

"If you are not honorable enough to fight without prejudice, go home," she shouted.

Opponents of the 1993 ban have urged Snowe and Collins, both of whom oppose the policy, to join Democrats and help shut down a Republican-led filibuster of a defense authorization bill that would repeal the restriction. Democrats are unlikely to muster the 60-vote supermajority needed to get the bill to the Senate floor without their support. But in statements issued Monday, both senators indicated they would vote with GOP leaders and block the measure.

A key procedural vote is set for Tuesday afternoon.

In addition to speaking at Monday's rally, Gaga has used her online presence to rally her fans -- nicknamed "Little Monsters" -- in support of repeal.

"All hands on deck Lil Monsters: Key Senate vote this Tues. on #DADT repeal. We need 60 senators. Call your senator now," she tweeted on Thursday. She goes into more detail on her website, offering talking points for fans who make the call and urging them to voice their opposition to a filibuster or any amendments that would keep the ban in effect.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Musi...gays.military/
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    "Equality is the prime rib of America" She's not just a vacuous pop singing sensation, she's a dimwitted, incoherent, vacuous pop singing sensation with a thing for absurd meat metaphors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haHXgFU7qNI
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I don't know what to say. What percentage of GaGa's audience is even close to voting age? 20%?

I don't know if I'm pleased or saddened that she's apparently engaging youngsters in the political process who otherwise would remain uninterested and uninvolved. A vote is a dangerous thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I don't know what to say. What percentage of GaGa's audience is even close to voting age? 20%?
    What percentage of her audience had made it to high school?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Lady Gaga rallies for 'don't ask, don't tell' repeal in Maine
    I'm sorry, did you say "Lady Gag Me" had something to say?

Lemme get this straight; A female clown who happens to sing, known to wear a meat outfit, wants to be taken seriously by the US army? RRRIIIGGHHHHTTTTT!!!!
    Last edited by AmPat; 09-20-2010 at 11:11 PM.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

I'd be impressed if she could get her fans to pick up their clothes from their bedroom floors or hang their towels on the towel rack. Does anyone believe she can get them to become politically aware and active? She was manufactured and shaped by the same corporate suits that made Britney Spears and all the other clones. She's nothing but a product and this is part of their advertising and promotion program. Every part of her life is choreographed and planned by experienced business people who pay much money to analyze every outcome of her actions. Computers calculate the ratio of shock factor to potential publicity and the resultant percentage of increase in the sales from her "music" She's just the icon for a well oiled money making machine. Capitalism at its most efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    I'd be impressed if she could get her fans to pick up their clothes from their bedroom floors or hang their towels on the towel rack. Does anyone believe she can get them to become politically aware and active? She was manufactured and shaped by the same corporate suits that made Britney Spears and all the other clones. She's nothing but a product and this is part of their advertising and promotion program. Every part of her life is choreographed and planned by experienced business people who pay much money to analyze every outcome of her actions. Computers calculate the ratio of shock factor to potential publicity and the resultant percentage of increase in the sales from her "music" She's just the icon for a well oiled money making machine. Capitalism at its most efficient.
    You might be on to something here. She's little different from some other heavily managed acts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    You might be on to something here. She's little different from some other heavily managed acts.
    She tries too hard. She bores me and her act has the opposite effect on me. Too overboard to be taken seriously.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    I'm sorry, did you say "Lady Gag Me" had something to say?

Lemme get this straight; A female clown who happens to sing, known to wear a meat outfit, wants to be taken seriously by the US army? RRRIIIGGHHHHTTTTT!!!!
    I have never seen anyone with so little talent get so much exposure. She would gag a maggot.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I have never seen anyone with so little talent get so much exposure. She would gag a maggot.
    If it weren't for the shock value of her behavior, she'd be a mediocre lounge act. American Idol bounces better singers in the opening audition phase.

But, I love the incoherence of her rant. Apparently, she equates gays in the military with wearing meat, which tells me that she's either a complete idiot, or she understands something about the male gay culture that she's not letting on.

BTW, where was PETA when she wore the meat dress? Don't they pitch red paint at people who do stuff like that, or is that only for little old ladies who don't have massive security guards?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!