Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Prof calls fellow academics ‘sanctimonious bigots’ 
    If the Left acknowledged sin, hypocrisy would be one of the most unforgiveable. But that’s exactly what hundreds of university faculty members – many in women’s and gender studies departments – were found guilty of during a recent experiment devised by a University of Illinois economics professor.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/op...103207814.html

Interesting little experiment. I can't say that I'm surprised. I have to socialize with academics all the time and while Israel is a perennial topic of high outrage, I've never heard an academic hold forth on the abuse of women or gays in the Middle East. Not once.

http://frontpagemag.com/2010/09/17/l...m_medium=email

That was interesting. Especially as the professor is an admitted leftist...but honestly cares more about all human rights than about destroying America or whatever.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Interesting little experiment. I can't say that I'm surprised. I have to socialize with academics all the time and while Israel is a perennial topic of high outrage, I've never heard an academic hold forth on the abuse of women or gays in the Middle East. Not once.
    Do they really hate Israel more then the human rights abuses of Muslims? Thats just plain wrong. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Do they really hate Israel more then the human rights abuses of Muslims? Thats just plain wrong. :(
    Israelis are inheritors of Western European culture and thus culpable for exploiting a post-Colonial spasm of nation-building courtesy of the Mandate of Palestine via the blood-thirsty Brits. The founding of Israel is soaked in the blood of Arab women and children. (Amazing how much of this drivel you can absorb over cocktails. )

Islam, however, has had the misfortune to become contaminated by various tribal cultural inclusions which may, in some few cases, include abusive behaviors toward women and gays. This is the lot of people who accept a childish religious worldview based on patriarchal power hierarchies. Sadly, nothing can be done until they grow out of this superstitious worldview on their own.

That is how they would think about it if they ever thought about it all.

The academics I know must be a different sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Could be. These are just state university people.

It would be interesting to hear the results if you attempted a similar experiment. What percentage of your academics would sign each petition? Why don't you try it, and let us know?
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    They don't care about human rights abuses. If they did, they'd have been cheering us on when we liberated Iraq. They hate their neighbors, who they consider morally inferior, and love the feeling that they get from embracing positions that annoy the great unwashed masses. Here's an experiment: Go up to someone with a "Free Tibet" or "Save Darfur" bumper sticker and ask them how they would feel about a US miliitary intervention in either place. I guarantee that they'll be covering that bumper sticker with a "US out of Darfur/Tibet" bumper sticker before you can finish the question.
    Oh? In what way?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

Oh? In what way?
    This did kind of make me laugh. My undergrad was a highly expensive private college and after that, the state university. Mr. Snaps has worked in academia his entire life for both private and public institutions. My BF from undergrad publishes the best "small" literary mag in the Southeast and he's married to a Hispanic Woman's Studies prof (they were just out here for a week to attend a conference this summer and they stayed with us). Mr. Snaps' BFF runs the best "underground" bookstore in Denver. I attend and throw parties for all these academics many times a year.

I've heard a boatload of opinions from these people about Israel - I mean it's on their Top 10 list of party discussion topics, but not a peep about the rights issues of women and gays in Muslim countries. The most I've ever heard is one Political Science prof venture that Islam needs something like the Protestant Reformation to address its issues but that such an idea necessarily needed to come from within - not through pressure from Western social issues groups.

But Oreo probably has the inside track on academic sub-cultures in the U.S. ;)