1. #1 How Democrats lost ‘don’t ask’ repeal 
    The Lady Gaga is going to be most put off...

The Senate shot down a proposal to repeal the military's "don't ask, don't tell" ban on gay service Tuesday in a party-line test vote -- dashing the hopes of gay activists who thought this was their best shot to repeal the 17-year-old law, which is unpopular with most Americans.

Now that the move has failed, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's to tack on the measure to the annual $726 billion defense authorization bill has come under scrutiny. Republican senators -- and two Democratic ones, Mark Pryor and Blanche Lincoln-- who are skittish in the heated runup to the midterms may have voted differently after November.

Reid probably reasoned that Republicans didn't have enough votes to strip the "don't ask" amendment out of the bill, and wouldn't filibuster the entire defense bill for fear of being accused of hijacking military funding for political reasons. But Republicans turned that logic on its head, arguing that Democrats were the ones who were playing politics by not allowing them to add amendments to the bill.

Whole Story Here
    Last edited by bijou; 09-22-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: to comply with B/N posting format

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I'm really crushed this happened to Lady Gaga.
    I like to shoot people with my CANON.

The moment he added the DREAM act, I knew it was dead in the water. Throw in the forbidding of debate, which x'd out the liberal republican he needed(Snowe) . . . it was gone.

And guess what the headline in the paper is?

GOP blocks bill to lift ban on gays in military

Ladies and Gentlemen, THAT IS WHAT HE WANTED IN THE FIRST PLACE. He doesn't care about gay people or even gay soldiers. He just wanted the headline to blame the GOP and shore up gay votes that would normally go to the Libertarian, Green, or even Tea Party candidates.

~QC
    Last edited by CueSi; 09-22-2010 at 03:07 PM.
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

Quote Originally Posted by Full-Auto View Post
    I'm really crushed this happened to Lady Gaga.
    In her honor, I will refrain from wearing raw meat on my uniform for as long as I remain in the army. :D
    Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    The moment he added the DREAM act, I knew it was dead in the water. Throw in the forbidding of debate, which x'd out the liberal republican he needed(Snowe) . . . it was gone.

And guess what the headline in the paper is?

GOP blocks bill to lift ban on gays in military

Ladies and Gentlemen, THAT IS WHAT HE WANTED IN THE FIRST PLACE. He doesn't care about gay people or even gay soldiers. He just wanted the headline to blame the GOP and shore up gay votes that would normally go to the Libertarian, Green, or even Tea Party candidates.

~QC
    No, what Harry Reid wanted was this headline:
    GOP blocks funding of military in wartime!!!
    The public doesn't favor lifting the ban. Any headline that ties the Democrats to playing politics with the defense appropriation is a defeat for Reid, and no matter how it's spun, this will hurt him. Imagine an ad that says this:

America is at war.

American troops are fighting and dying every day.

They need our support.

They need the best weapons, equipment and facilities that we can provide for them, but for Harry Reid, that's not important. Harry Reid would rather play politics with the lives of our servicemembers than do the job he was sent to Washington to do. While our military men and women are putting their lives on the line, Harry Reid is using the defense appropriation to benefit Democratic Party special interests and impose a far left, politically correct agenda on the armed forces.

During wartime.

Harry Reid needs to get his priorities straight.
    He's hurt himself in more ways than he knows.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!