Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Let's stay on topic here. The Tea Party doesn't have a position on pissing in drinking water.
    It's a metaphor.

If the Dems or the Pubbies do, let's save it for another thread.
    The so-called tea party candidates are "Pubbies."

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    It's a metaphor.

The so-called tea party candidates are "Pubbies."
    Luckily, I believe I have enough incandescent light bulbs to see me through until LED technology becomes a better choice. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Luckily, I believe I have enough incandescent light bulbs to see me through until LED technology becomes a better choice. :)
    I would stock up but the damn things burn out so fast .......

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    The modern breed of environmentalist tends to have a statist faith in government. Average citizens cannot be trusted with economic decisions that require balancing immediate costs and long-term benefits.
    Considering the improvements to the cleanliness of air and water after "statist[s]" got into the game, I would tend to agree.
    Work that non sequitur! You assume that since statists got involved, and the air and water has been cleaner that the statists must have caused the cleanup. After all correlation always equals causation right? I don't think it's because statists got involved in environmental concerns. I think it's because fewer women wear pantaloons and fewer men wear bowler hats. Either correlation is plausible though because we have the exact same amount of evidence.

Perhaps, just perhaps, this could be due to advances in efficiency of production which were created by capitalists acting freely in a market where efficiency is rewarded by higher profits and broader market expansion. On the other hand I suppose the government could have made decrees addressing each point of pollution and legislating the technicalities of how to alleviate the problem. Yeah, the latter must be it.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    Perhaps, just perhaps, this could be due to advances in efficiency of production which were created by capitalists acting freely in a market where efficiency is rewarded by higher profits and broader market expansion. On the other hand I suppose the government could have made decrees addressing each point of pollution and legislating the technicalities of how to alleviate the problem. Yeah, the latter must be it.
    So the move in this nation toward environmental regulatory activities which dealt with pollution control through the authority of the state has nothing to do with the recent success in the control of pollution .... it is just a coincidence.

That makes sense. It explains why nations with lax, or zero, enforced pollution controls have the same levels of purity in their air and water as we do.