Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Netflix Screws American Market - You're Too Dumb To Notice. 
    What Netflix CEO hopes U.S. won't notice
    'Self-absorbed' Americans may ignore Canada price disparity

By Etan Vlessing
    Share295

Sept 23, 2010, 08:00 AM ET
    Reed Hastings (Getty)

Netflix is now in Canada, offering local subscribers an online movie and TV streaming service for $7.99 a month. The move marks the first international foray for the California-based online streaming/DVD-by-mail giant. Etan Vlessing caught up with Netflix co-founder and CEO Reed Hastings in Toronto as he reaches beyond his 15 million American subscribers to start rolling out his online subscription service around the world.

The Hollywood Reporter: You're looking beyond the U.S. border for growth. Where will you expand next after Canada? [Related: Netflix hires actors to pose as consumers at Canadian launch event.]

Reed Hastings: For now we're focused on Canada. If we succeed in Canada, we will certainly look at other markets. But each market is unique, and what attracted us to Canada is great broadband, and a great love of movies and TV shows.

THR: American services when they enter the Canadian market typically charge the locals more than they charge stateside. Why the discount for Canadians?

Hastings: We want to provide an incredible value for Canadians, and it's the lowest price we have anywhere in the world for unlimited screenings. And anyone can try it for free for a month. It's pretty addictive.

THR: Are you concerned that American Netflix subscribers will look north and ask for the same discount Canadians get at $7.99?

Hastings: How much has it been your experience that Americans follow what happens in the world? It's something we'll monitor, but Americans are somewhat self-absorbed.
    If you are a Netflix fan, you might drop them a line.

Hollywood Reporter

I use netflix, it's pretty great.

Also he's right.

It appears that quite a few subscribers are not that self-absorbed. We'll see where this goes.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It appears that quite a few subscribers are not that self-absorbed. We'll see where this goes.
    I'll be happy to bitch to them that I'm paying more than those pesky Canadians.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    How big is that discount? I don't know what they charge here in the U.S. - if it is a big enough disparity, I would have to believe that Americans will have an issue with it.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    How big is that discount? I don't know what they charge here in the U.S. - if it is a big enough disparity, I would have to believe that Americans will have an issue with it.
    $8.99 American. I don't know what the exchange rate is at the moment.

I think the "outrage" is more about his slight toward Americans; saying we don't pay attention and are self absorbed. If I weren't so busy going to the gym and getting my teeth whitened later, I would send a letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    $8.99 American. I don't know what the exchange rate is at the moment.

I think the "outrage" is more about his slight toward Americans; saying we don't pay attention and are self absorbed. If I weren't so busy going to the gym and getting my teeth whitened later, I would send a letter.
    Dont forget about being too busy texting on your cellphone while driving home sipping your Starbucks latte.
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    geeze...this is such a stupid article, it's how buisness works. when you go into a new market (or release a new product) you almost ALWAYS give a discount on services to draw customers in. Netflix is awesome, fucking stupid libs need to quit their bitching

their plans are

1 dvd, limited to 2/mo and 2hrs of streaming: 4.99
    1 dvd unlimited dvd and streaming: 8.99 (10.99 w/blu ray)
    2 " ": 13.99 (16.99 w/blu ray)
    3 " " : 16.99 (20.99 w/blu ray)
    4 " " : 23.99 (28.99 w/blu ray)
    Last edited by fettpett; 09-23-2010 at 03:14 PM.

Alienating your entire customer base...now that's an interesting business strategy!

Meh. I like Blockbuster Online better. You can rent games as well as movies.
    The American Left: Where everything is politics and politics is everything.