1. #1 Study seeks to explain the parting of the Red Sea 
    Interesting theory...

Lead author Carl Drews, a scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colo., used computer simulations to recreate what might have happened that day some 3,000 years ago.

"The simulations match fairly closely with the account in Exodus," says Drews.
    As recorded in Exodus 14, "Moses stretched out his hand over the sea, and all that night the Lord drove the sea back with a strong east wind and turned it into dry land."

This allowed the Israelites to escape pursuit by the Egyptians, who were killed once the water closed up again.

Drews' simulations found that a strong east wind, blowing at a constant speed of about 63 mph for 12 hours, could have pushed water back at a bend where an ancient river is thought to have merged with a coastal lagoon along the Mediterranean. Such an event occurred in 1882, when a British Army general reported a strong easterly wind that pushed the water away on Lake Menzaleh, on the west side of the Suez Canal.
    With the water pushed back into both waterways, a land bridge would have opened at the bend, Drews says, enabling people to walk across exposed mud flats to safety. As soon as the wind died down, the waters would have rushed back in.

Drews says it is possible for people to walk in winds as strong as 63 mph winds, which is partly why he chose that speed for the simulation.

The research was based on a reconstruction of the likely locations and depths of Nile delta waterways, which have shifted considerably over time.
    Whole Story Here

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

They've always got to try and explain the Bible. I've spent my entire life as a Christian and it never occurred to me to question what happened that day 3000 or so years ago.

I can recall years ago when people claimed Pontius Pilate didn't exist, because they'd found no evidence. Then, they did. There are any number of incidents and people mentioned in the Bible that were thought to be false. Seems like most have been proven to have happened, or the people existed.

They also fail to take into account that some things written might just be allegories.

People will believe or not. These days, everyone wants everything explained. It just doesn't work that way.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck58 View Post
    They've always got to try and explain the Bible. I've spent my entire life as a Christian and it never occurred to me to question what happened that day 3000 or so years ago.

I can recall years ago when people claimed Pontius Pilate didn't exist, because they'd found no evidence. Then, they did. There are any number of incidents and people mentioned in the Bible that were thought to be false. Seems like most have been proven to have happened, or the people existed.

They also fail to take into account that some things written might just be allegories.

People will believe or not. These days, everyone wants everything explained. It just doesn't work that way.
    I believe, I just find it interesting when science can explain something that people have denouced for years. Until around 1900, most 'scientists' and 'archeologists' where certain that the Hittites where a Biblical myth with no basis in fact. That ended up being wrong. Also for years many argued that the universe was eternal and that no God was needed to create it, then science show that in all probability the universe is not eternal and in fact seems to have had a beginning. Now they account for the creation using mathematical constructs and speculation that make even less sense than a creator God.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Now they account for the creation using mathematical constructs and speculation that make even less sense than a creator God.
    Maybe it makes more sense if you understand God is Math?

Or, it might make more sense to accept the fact that God cannot be explained. It would be like an ant trying to explain a human being.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

Sonnabend
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLZW8Deq8vE

"..and I am both terrified and reassured..that there are still wonders in the Universe..that we have not yet explained everything." - G'kar.
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 09-25-2010 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Maybe it makes more sense if you understand God is Math?
    I understand that God invented math. He no more math than He is the universe. They are His creations and the created remains separate from the Creator. I found it much more believable that a Creator God created our universe via the big bang and fine tuned the laws of nature in order to bring about life than that there are an infinite number of universes and we just happen to be in one that happens to support life. There is some physical evidence of the former and only a remote mathematical possibility of the later.

C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I found it much more believable that a Creator God created our universe via the big bang and fine tuned the laws of nature in order to bring about life than that there are an infinite number of universes and we just happen to be in one that happens to support life. There is some physical evidence of the former and only a remote mathematical possibility of the later.
    Wait, you have physical evidence of God? Let me in on it.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLZW8Deq8vE

"..and I am both terrified and reassured..that there are still wonders in the Universe..that we have not yet explained everything." - G'kar.

Nice.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!