1. #1 Hawking nemesis Leonard Susskind speaks 
    Hawking nemesis Leonard Susskind speaks
    Stanford University physicist Leonard Susskind went from a being a plumber in the South Bronx to becoming an authority on black holes.

In 'The Black Hole War,' Stanford University physicist Susskind recounts his long history of scientific conflict with famed cosmologist Stephen Hawking (whose concession letter he prints).

By John Johnson Jr., Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    July 26, 2008

For two decades, Stanford University physicist Leonard Susskind battled cosmologist Stephen Hawking over the behavior of black holes. Hawking said that when black holes eat their fill, they disappear, taking with them everything they consumed over their billions of years of existence. Susskind found this idea so disturbing that he publicly declared war -- a conflict he describes in his new book, "The Black Hole War." In a conversation before a recent appearance at the Los Angeles Public Library, Susskind recounted his long struggle to "make the world safe for quantum mechanics."

How did this war with Stephen Hawking come about?

I was a particle physicist when I was invited to an event at Werner Erhard's house in 1981. Erhard [founder of the est self-awareness movement] admired scientists and liked to listen to them debate. At one of his events, I met Stephen Hawking. Stephen discovered an amazing fact, which is that black holes evaporate. It's like a puddle of water out in the sun.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,7978363.story
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Goldwater
    I remember reading about how experiments on black holes in Switzerland and France could swallow the world, it scared the hell out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    I remember reading about how experiments on black holes in Switzerland and France could swallow the world, it scared the hell out of me.
    Don't believe rumors about artificial black holes created at CERN labs swallowing the Earth. The kind of black hole which the Large Hadron Collider could theoretically make would decay too rapidly to pose a threat.

Supposedly, something like a black hole was created a few years ago at Brookhaven National Laboratory but I don't remember if it was ever confirmed.
    Last edited by The Night Owl; 08-18-2008 at 08:17 PM.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Banned
    Thanks for posting this, TNO. Very interesting article; I may have to buy the book. On the fiction side of the equation, the most disturbing book I ever read regarding black holes was...

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    Don't believe rumors about artificial black holes created at CERN labs swallowing the Earth. The kind of black hole which the Large Hadron Collider could theoretically make would decay too rapidly to pose a threat.

Supposedly, something like a black hole was created a few years ago at Brookhaven National Laboratory but I don't remember if it was ever confirmed.
    A stable, yet controlled microscopic black hole would be an incredible energy source.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    A stable, yet controlled microscopic black hole would be an incredible energy source.
    If you or anyone is interested in Leonard Susskind, FORA.tv has video of a really good talk he gave at the Commonwealth Club...

http://fora.tv/2007/01/24/Cosmic_Landscape
    Last edited by The Night Owl; 08-21-2008 at 07:05 PM.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post

It's the one in Calcutta that scares me.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!