Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    This is my alma mater. I still live a few blocks away
    Mine too, and my nephew is there now, but he wasn't anywhere near at the time

PCL is my favorite library of all time I've spent so many hours in there....
    Me too, but I'm so old they only had 5 books when I was there :o

I used to go to that library daily when I was a student and still have a membership and frequent it.
    Me too, but mostly online now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
    How do you have a "membership" to a university library??
    I am a life member of the ex-student's association and have been since I graduated in 1982. One of the benefits of that is my membership to the all the UT libararies for life. I can go when in Austin and check out books using my life membership card.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfor View Post
    Just another reason why CCW should be allowed on college campuses.
    Ironically enough, the night of the shooting there was a debate scheduled to take place on this very issue.

I hardly think anyone else carrying a gun would have prevented this man from killing himself and probably would have made the panicky, frantic search for subjects and weapons MUCH more difficult for the police

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    Mine too, and my nephew is there now, but he wasn't anywhere near at the time

Me too, but I'm so old they only had 5 books when I was there :o

Me too, but mostly online now.

I am a life member of the ex-student's association and have been since I graduated in 1982. One of the benefits of that is my membership to the all the UT libararies for life. I can go when in Austin and check out books using my life membership card.
    UT rules. we both rule.

Ironically enough, the night of the shooting there was a debate scheduled to take place on this very issue.

I hardly think anyone else carrying a gun would have prevented this man from killing himself and probably would have made the panicky, frantic search for subjects and weapons MUCH more difficult for the police
    Wrong.

Yep because when the entire campus is on lock down and SWAT arrives with an APC and dozens of police are sweeping the area with what look like automatic rifles, what is best to aid in the process of reducing casualities and clearing the area of all threats - is a wild west style shooting spree with 150 rednecks scared shitless and firing their gun at whatever they believe are possible threats to themselves.

People who call for stuff like that live in a weird fantasy world where everyone is an expert marksman, with cold uberrational emotionless self-interested reason like a god damn batman. In this world, whenever a Bad Guy starts trouble with his Gun, every Good Guy spins around, takes aim, and shoots the Bad Guy down and everyone enjoys a round of drinks until the police come and they all get medals.

In real life, unless you have special training (and sometimes especially then, if you're dealing with something like undiagnosed PTSD) , most people panic at the site of violence, guns, and a disruption of the social order. People panic and run, hide, or try to fight. Most people don't fight because they cannot, but if they were able to, t hey would. The problem is that panicked people are not rational people, they make mistakes, they may not shoot well, they may exacerbate the problem more easily that they may solve it. The police were ready to shoot anyone they saw with a firearm when this happened, having a bunch of people with concealed guns is not going to make any process of solving the problem easier, only harder. You end up with dozens of suspects, the police need to bring even greater degrees of force in case of the unpredictable happening with dozens of armed subjects, it's chaos.

Maybe this would have worked in the wild west, maybe even in modern rural areas, but in high population density areas, trained police who can be held accountable for their actions need to be the ones with the weapons, not any John Deer Smith who knows how to Get R Done when hog hunting every saturday.

In real life, unless you have special training (and sometimes especially then, if you're dealing with something like undiagnosed PTSD) , most people panic at the site of violence, guns, and a disruption of the social order. People panic and run, hide, or try to fight. Most people don't fight because they cannot, but if they were able to, t hey would. The problem is that panicked people are not rational people, they make mistakes, they may not shoot well, they may exacerbate the problem more easily that they may solve it. The police were ready to shoot anyone they saw with a firearm when this happened, having a bunch of people with concealed guns is not going to make any process of solving the problem easier, only harder. You end up with dozens of suspects, the police need to bring even greater degrees of force in case of the unpredictable happening with dozens of armed subjects, it's chaos.

Maybe this would have worked in the wild west, maybe even in modern rural areas, but in high population density areas, trained police who can be held accountable for their actions need to be the ones with the weapons, not any John Deer Smith who knows how to Get R Done when hog hunting every Saturday.
    Any other constitutional rights you think we should do away with? He shit head CCW owners are often better trained in firearm handling the the cops who more often then not just go to the range to get qualified. They are more likely to shy away from trouble due to the CCW they carry and dont want to lose that right.

Remember when seconds count the cops are minutes away.

People who call for stuff like that live in a weird fantasy world where everyone is an expert marksman, with cold uberrational emotionless self-interested reason like a god damn batman. In this world, whenever a Bad Guy starts trouble with his Gun, every Good Guy spins around, takes aim, and shoots the Bad Guy down and everyone enjoys a round of drinks until the police come and they all get medals.
    I know i said this before but this kind of blanket statement needs to be rebutted again and again and again...

CCW have to jump through alot of hoops to get that not to mention and I am willing to bet spend TONS more time at the range then most cops.

Let me know what other Constitutional rights we can do away with.

Yep because when the entire campus is on lock down and SWAT arrives with an APC and dozens of police are sweeping the area with what look like automatic rifles, what is best to aid in the process of reducing casualities and clearing the area of all threats - is a wild west style shooting spree with 150 rednecks scared shitless and firing their gun at whatever they believe are possible threats to themselves.
    So, in your world, all Texans, even at UT in Austin, are rednecks? Tell me, have you ever had to report for sensitivity training to deal with this tendency to stereotype? I know that schools usually have those kinds of classes for people who display bigoted tendencies, and you are a teacher, so I was just wondering how many times they made you go through the process before they gave up on you.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!