Hybrid View

1. #1 The stupid is strong on "Rational"wiki 
    http://rationalwiki.com/wiki/Chicken...27s_Clinton%3F

Where's Clinton?

Bill Clinton is not a chickenhawk. He is A) famous but B) does NOT support the current wars and C) never served in the military. Yes, Bill Clinton sent troops into dangerous missions. PEACE-keeping missions: hideous muddles started by other people. U.S. intervention in Somalia was a failure. Intervention in Haiti and Bosnia were successes. Not intervening in Rwanda is also a failure.

Furthermore, Clinton isn't a member of the CURRENT administration running the CURRENT wars. This is modern politics, not ancient history. If we did include past presidents, the first chickenhawk on the list would probably be FDR, who presided over WWII without any personal military background (he had polio) but not Harry Truman, who served in the Army in WWI.

If we did delve into ancient history, prominent chickenhawks would include John Wayne - who loved wars but never served - and Ronald Reagan - who also loved wars but also made movies during WWII (uniform notwithstanding). Ditto Sylvester Stallone and Bruce Willis.

Richard Nixon would not be a chickenhawk, because he served in the Navy in WWII, as did JFK. Jimmy Carter served in Navy submarines. General Eisenhower earned his war chops. Lyndon Johnson barely squeezed into WWII. Abraham Lincoln plunged into America's bloodiest war, but (we recently were corrected) served in the Illinois Militia during the Blackhawk War, so is not a chickenhawk.

Famous Chickenhawks and Non-Chickenhawks

Returning to the present with more examples:

George W. Bush is a chickenhawk. He is A) famous and B) supports the war efforts but C) did not really serve in the military. He was shoehorned into the Texas Air National Guard to dodge the draft. He served only three years of a six-year committment, then went AWOL, essentially deserting. Now he's sent thousands of troops overseas to die for Big Oil, which is likely the greatest sin this country has ever produced.

George Bush Sr. is NOT a chickenhawk. He is A) famous and B) supports the war efforts but C) served admirably as a Navy flyer in WWII. George Sr. can advocate for wars, because he fought in one.

Colin Powell is NOT a chickenhawk. He's A) famous and B) supports the current wars but C) fought in Vietnam.

John Kerry is NOT a chickenhawk. Yes, he's A) famous and B) voted for the current wars but C) served his country in Vietnam.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

Banned
    Of course it is... it was started by disgruntled users of conservapedia, one of the stupidest sites on the internet... almost as bad as answersingenesis. That being said, rational wiki is slightly less stupid than conservapedia.
    Last edited by wilbur; 08-18-2008 at 08:45 PM.

Banned
    LOL!

I may have spoken too soon. Rational Wiki might have a clue after all:

http://rationalwiki.com/wiki/Conserv...omer%27s_Guide

Other major players

* Jinxmchue: Another idiot kicked out of Wikipedia for being an anti-semitic troll. He is easily recognizable by the constant presence of Andy's balls on his chin.

* Bugler: The most obvious parodist ever to be granted powers. Really, people. Wake the fuck up.

What is the definition of a chicken hawk?

I hear this term but I don't know what the writer/speaker means. It appears to just be a code for any leader who supports a military effort that the speaker/writer dislikes.

What is the genuinely accepted definition?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    What is the definition of a chicken hawk?

I hear this term but I don't know what the writer/speaker means. It appears to just be a code for any leader who supports a military effort that the speaker/writer dislikes.

What is the genuinely accepted definition?
    I was wondering about that too... according to wikipedia, it is this:

"Chickenhawk (also chicken hawk and chicken-hawk; sometimes designated after a person's name by [c.h.]) is a political epithet used in the United States to criticize a politician, bureaucrat, or commentator who strongly supports a war or other military action, but has never personally been in a war, especially if that person actively avoided military service when of draft age."

Gosh, pigboy, you're an even bigger shit-for-brains than I thought.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

Goldwater
    Giuliani is probably the biggest example of this, he talks as if he is standing in Iraq on a pile of dead terrorists.

Ha at Jinx's comment thing there. :D

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    I was wondering about that too... according to wikipedia, it is this:

"Chickenhawk (also chicken hawk and chicken-hawk; sometimes designated after a person's name by [c.h.]) is a political epithet used in the United States to criticize a politician, bureaucrat, or commentator who strongly supports a war or other military action, but has never personally been in a war, especially if that person actively avoided military service when of draft age."
    Well, wouldn't that apply to virtually all women? I wasn't drafted or eligible for it or even the right age group and I certainly didn't enlist but I have opinions about good or bad wars. Would all women be chicken hawks, then?