Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Tropical Storm Tuesday 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Not here of course in St. Louis! It's going to be around 85 and sunny today.

But since Fay is hitting FL and so many of our members live there...what the hell. :D

I was watching the Weather Channel this morning and although none of their people
    got hit by lightning (so far) or a flying coconut they did have footage of some moron
    on the east coast with one of those personal water kites get picked up and
    eventually slammed into a building! Cool!!! :D

They had, just like I said yesterday, Jim Cantori down in Naples doing the standing in the
    breeze and rain thingy with some waves in the background...

TOTD: So, in line with the tropical weather today, have you ever been asked to evac
    a place you were living or staying at during some kind of storm?

When I was in St. Thomas we got evaced from our room to the basement during Bertha.
    That's been it so far. :p
    May the FORCE be with you!

Thank goodness it looks like Fay is just gonna be a rain-maker with some wind. The Brat was thrilled he got to miss school today, though.

TOTD: Not really, no. When I was a kid growing up in south FL we went through a few minor ones but we never had to evac. When Andrew slammed southeast FL I was actually living in Orlando but went down to Ft Myers to help my folks board up, etc. That was a little scary, even in Ft Myers, because of how massive that monster-storm was, and the fact that it crossed the state just skimming southeast FL by Ft Myers.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

TOTD: Yes! When Georges hit, my family and I went to stay for a weekend with our cousins who live near Orlando.
    In fact, right now, some rain is pouring down outside accompanied by a little wind which appears to be the edges of Fay.

It will be in the mid 80s here - perfect summer weather.

TOTD: Nobody ever told us to evacuate from anything but I've gotten myself in gear pretty fast in flash flood country. The best fishing always seems to be in the most lethal places. :D

Gorgeous day here.

Eldest is going to be practicing in the marching band for 4 hours today and then scrambling to get to a 2 hour volly ball practice.

I am very carefully NOT going to be pointing out that she is perhaps doing too much extra curicular stuff BEFORE school has even started. It's sort of fun watching her try to adjust to a week of total activity after the summer sloth, but I'm just cruel that way. :)

TOTD

No evac stories, but...

When my wife joined the Army lo those many years ago we were offered about 12 different duty stations. After much talking we decided to pick Homestead AFB. (The Army runs Veterinary services for all four branches)

She went to her final recruiting meeting and came home and told me we were heading for Nellis AFB in Las Vegas.

There was some kinda pointed discussion. If I had made a list of 10 places I didn't want to live Las Vegas would have been about 6th.

She goes down to Fort Sam Huston for basic officers training and I move the cats and the stuff to Vegas.

Some while later I get woken up by the telephone. She says "Turn on CNN right now." And there is the footage of Homestead AFB pounded to snot by Hurricane Andrew. "I TOLD ya so!" says she. And then she hung up. :D

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    It's raining here.:p We all left work early to get home before it gets bad. I don't think it's going to get bad though.

TOTD: I've never had to evacuate. About ten years ago we had really bad brushfires and some neighborhoods close to mine had to evacuate. Thankfully they didn't get that close to my house.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    LOL! It's nonstop local coverage. You'd think it was the end of the world!:D
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Jim Cantori down in Naples
    I admit it. Jim Cantori is cuuuuuuuuute!
    Even a grumpy old lady like me can appreciate him.
    You younglings probably go more for the brad pitt type.
    But Jim ... he's adorable.

Got my car tuned up today and had my tires properly inflated. I'm going to go club a baby seal to get back to even.

TOTD: No but came close once in NC.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldLady View Post
    I admit it. Jim Cantori is cuuuuuuuuute!
    Even a grumpy old lady like me can appreciate him.
    You younglings probably go more for the brad pitt type.
    But Jim ... he's adorable.
    LOL!!! He's gonna get hit by a coconut, wave, or lightning someday!!! :D And welcome to CU!

Very interesting that this storm has maintained an "eye" of sorts all day! It really wanted
    to be a hurricane Shannon. The pressure dropped big time before it made landfall. Maybe your meanness kept it tame! :eek::D
    May the FORCE be with you!