Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spent the day at daughter's college taking care of business and checking out textbooks :eek:

TOTD: Katrina was way south of us but I have been evacuated twice because of a War! Does that count?:D

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    DS is home now glued to the local news. I'm waiting for him to bust out his new weather radio. The one that was slightly more expensive than the others but oh so cool!
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    Spent the day at daughter's college taking care of business and checking out textbooks :eek:

TOTD: Katrina was way south of us but I have been evacuated twice because of a War! Does that count?:D
    I'm going to say that counts. I want details.:eek:

I grew up in Beirut and in 1958 the pro-western government was threatened (there was talk of Civil War)and President Eisenhower ordered in the Marines in. My Dad had sent my Mom and I to Rome when things got a little scary but many Americans stayed and I have heard funny stories about the Marines landing on the beach.

"The scene on the beach was perhaps one of the most colorful in the long history of Marine Corps landings," recounts Jack Shulimson in the official historical account he wrote for the Marine Corps Historical Branch. "Witnessing the assault were bikini-clad-sunbathers, Khalde villagers and the beach workmen who dropped their tools and ran to the site to watch." .
    In 1967, things were much worse. The six day war was very frightening and the US government advised all Americans to leave. The airport was closed for several days and we were thrilled to see the first planes coming in. We were evacuated to Athens (the Liberty incident happened while we were there).I never got to go back.We had planned a trip in Sept 2001. Needless to say, we cancelled

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    DS is home now glued to the local news. I'm waiting for him to bust out his new weather radio. The one that was slightly more expensive than the others but oh so cool!
    Don't knock that weather radio! It could save your life.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    I know, I know. I just like to tease DS.

LL, you have some amazing stories!

Very nice weather in central GA today, though I doubt it will last. It is hard to predict where Fay will go, with all the conflicting predictions! I am not all that worried, since any tropical system loses its steam before it gets too far inland. Still, I am using this as an opportunity to get the kids to clean up their toys from the yard!!

TOTD: Never had to evac, though I did grow up cowering from tornadoes in Wisconsin. When I got older, I sat outside with my Dad as they hopped over our valley.
    Social Order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain - Marquis de Sade

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Thanks, SR! I <ahem> didn't need to bust out the super-duper NOAA weather radio (complete with handcrank for power if your battery-power dies) since the tornado threat for our area was fairly low over night. Got tons of rain and some wind gusts, which kept me awake on and off last night...which is why I am awake at 5am.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature