1. #1 Back from the dead: One third of 'extinct' animals turn up again 

Back from the dead: One third of 'extinct' animals turn up again

By David Derbyshire Environment Editor
    Last updated at 9:10 AM on 29th September 2010

Conservationists are overestimating the number of species that have been driven to extinction, scientists have said.

A study has found that a third of all mammal species declared extinct in the past few centuries have turned up alive and well.

Some of the more reclusive creatures managed to hide from sight for 80 years only to reappear within four years of being officially named extinct in the wild.

The shy okapi – which resembles a cross between a zebra and a giraffe – was first discovered in the Democratic Republic of Congo in 1901.

After increasingly rarer sightings, it vanished from the wildlife radar for decades from 1959, prompting fears that it had died out.

But five years ago researchers working for the WWF found okapi tracks in the wild.

Other mammals ‘back from the dead’ include the rat-like Cuban solenodon, the Christmas Island shrew, the Vanikoro Flying Fox of the Solomon Islands, the Australian central rock rat and the Talaud Flying Fox of Indonesia.

The revelations come as the world’s leading conservationists prepare for a major United Nations summit on biodiversity in Nagoya, Japan, next month.
    Very cool.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz10wLxTYyL

I read something about about the overstatement of estimates of animals that have gone extinct during the history of the world. The estimates have been something like 98 or 99 percent of all species to have existed are now extinct but there is absolutely no statistical evidence to support that number. It is based solely on projections extrapulated from the mass extinction events, but no one really knows how many species died vs those that survived in these events. It's basically a uneduated guess. A stab in the dark that many scientist clinkg to even when they can't give a proper summary of how that estimate was calculated. It's like the mystery of the missing transitional fossils. There should be an abundance of fossils of transistion species but there are not. There should be the remains of a lot more extinct animals but there isn't.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

So there's a 33 1/3% chance that I'll finally get to eat Dodo-nuggets after all?

I like those odds. :D
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

But five years ago researchers working for the WWF found okapi tracks in the wild.
    WWF?

The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    WWF?
    World Wildlife Federation or Outdoorsy Commies.

Maybe it's because God doesn't let animals go extinct. :p

WWF?

A few years ago World Wildlife Fund sued World Wrestling Federation over the use of the letters WWF. The case went on for many years. Eventionally both parties settled with World Wrestling Federation changing their name to WWE, and becoming World Wrestling Entertainment.
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by jediab View Post
    A few years ago World Wildlife Fund sued World Wrestling Federation over the use of the letters WWF. The case went on for many years. Eventionally both parties settled with World Wrestling Federation changing their name to WWE, and becoming World Wrestling Entertainment.
    Actually, yes, Vinny Mac lost the case, however, he was free to use the WWF letters but he had to pay the Fund. Vinny Mac balked and the (W)WW(F)E has been steadily declining ever since.

Back on point, I thought with the discovery of the coelacanth, finding once thought of extinct animals shouldn't be all that surprising. I'm hoping for the return of the Great Auk, the Dodo, and the carrier pigeon.

Actually, yes, Vinny Mac lost the case, however, he was free to use the WWF letters but he had to pay the Fund. Vinny Mac balked and the (W)WW(F)E has been steadily declining ever since.

Back on point, I thought with the discovery of the coelacanth, finding once thought of extinct animals shouldn't be all that surprising. I'm hoping for the return of the Great Auk, the Dodo, and the carrier pigeon.
    While s carrier pigeon looks mostly like other pigeons, a dodo bird would be awesome to see alive since it really doesn't look like any other bird in North America. If you believe all of the drawings that is.
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by jediab View Post
    While s carrier pigeon looks mostly like other pigeons, a dodo bird would be awesome to see alive since it really doesn't look like any other bird in North America. If you believe all of the drawings that is.
    Per the drawings, it looks like a turkey with a buzzards beak. But thanks to the Portuguese, they were wiped out in less than 100 years. Nice those Portuguese aren't they? The weren't satisfied with wiping out an entire species, they had to delve into the slave trade as well. To quote Mr. Spock, "To hunt a species to extinction is not logical."