Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Danish book republishes Prophet Muhammad cartoons 
    Danish book republishes Prophet Muhammad cartoons

(Reuters) - The Danish editor whose 2005 publication of cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad sparked violent protests around the globe released a book on Wednesday that reprints the pictures and warns of a "tyranny of silence."

Thursday marks the fifth anniversary of the publication of the 12 drawings in Jyllands-Posten which blew up the following year into a global "cartoon crisis." Dozens of people were killed in clashes, mainly in the Middle East.

Flemming Rose's book "The Tyranny of Silence" has fed worries of renewed unrest, as after the 2008 reprinting of the cartoons by many papers after a death threat to cartoonist Kurt Westergaard.

Danish Foreign Minister Lene Espersen met 17 ambassadors from Muslim countries on Wednesday as part of efforts to prevent any new cartoon crisis and foster understanding.

"The violence was committed by people who made a decision to react to these cartoons in a specific way," saidRose, who has lived for years under police protection because of threats against him and his paper Jyllands-Posten.

"To publish cartoons, religious satire, in a Danish newspaper is not incitation to violence," he said.

Orlando Sentinel

This is an important anniversary in the battle to retain free speech.

This is likely to have the usually results.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    This is likely to have the usually results.
    You expect riots among Methodists? :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    You expect riots among Methodists? :D
    Wow! Them Wicans are gonna be pissed!!!
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by jediab View Post
    Wow! Them Wicans are gonna be pissed!!!
    I wouldn't want to be in a Zoroastrian neighborhood tonight! :D
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Danish book republishes Prophet Muhammad cartoons
    Good for the publishers. I hope they produce a set of signed and numbered limited-edition prints and place them for sale on the open market. If they do, kindly form an orderly queue behind me to purchase them, as obviously I will want a low number on mine.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    Good for the publishers. I hope they produce a set of signed and numbered limited-edition prints and place them for sale on the open market. If they do, kindly form an orderly queue behind me to purchase them, as obviously I will want a low number on mine.
    Save me a place on line, if you don't mind.
    --Odysseus

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Save me a place on line, if you don't mind.
    Ladies first? :D

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    I want them printed on plates, so I can eat porkchops off em.

Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    Ladies first? :D

~QC
    As long as you wear that bathing suit from your facebook pic, you can cut in front of me. :D
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.