Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    So, my overall opinion is that if you are a college student between the ages of 18-20 and you can't get hold of alcohol, you probably are not smart enough to be drinking anyways.
    Good point.

So far I think everyone here is missing the point. It's not about 18 yr olds drinking. It's about 15 and 16 yr olds drinking. It was much easier for 15 and 16 yr olds to find an 18 yr old to buy them booze. Probably some kid still in high school with them. By the time they're 21 there's a "distance" between them and the young minors. The hope is that the 21 year old might have picked up enough common sense that he knows what a bad idea it is to supply minors.

I agree with the premise that lowering the drinking age to 18 again, will cause greater problems with even younger drinkers.
    As has been stated, it would encourage the 15-17 year-old crowd to approach the 18 year olds to get them liquor. As if that would be a problem for them... it never was that big of a deal when the drinking age was 18 in the past.

Even though I personally think that the age should stay at 21, there is one group of people, that should be able to enjoy the drinking age of 18, and it is not the college crowd.
    In my own opinion, many (not all) 18 year old college students are already giddy with the freedom of being on their own, and have enough to deal with, establishing their independence from their parents. They do not need the added distraction and confusion that alcohol offers.

However, I think that anyone in the military should be able to drink on-post at the age of 18.
    If they are old enough to enlist in the military, and thereby willing to die for their country, then they should be able to buy and enjoy a damned drink!
    Social Order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain - Marquis de Sade

I grew up with NO age limit. I recall my Dad sending me to buy Cutty Sark Scotch when I was 12 or 13.
    I rarely drink and it was never denied to me when I was growing up.
    My daughter starts college this week in a DRY county. The town where I live has the closest liquor store - kids are on that road constantly.

I don't agree with lowering the drinking age. I think it will simply lead to more kids drinking even earlier.

I'm still constantly amazed that neither I nor any of my friends died while in college. The binge drinking was out of control. My freshman year, while the drinking age was 21, the only rule against drinking on campus was no kegs. Silly rule, and of course we broke that as well. When drinking was banned the following year, it simply meant that more kids got fake id's to get into the bars, and more kids left campus to drink, thereby increasing the probability that they would be victims of some crime, or commit other crimes themselves.

I think they should lower it

This will allow more people in college to drink. This will help weed out those whom most likely should not be there in the first place.

To quote Judge Smails " The world needs ditch diggers too"

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I agree that adults can do any legal activity but would a change make a difference in the drinking culture of schools? That's what I'm curious about.

As a side note, I really didn't have parties as a priority in school but none of the other alpha geeks did either and we only cared about impressing each other. The most notorious boozers during undergrad (at my school, at least) were the education majors and the nurses.
    ahem
    :o
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    So, what do you guys think about this? I couldn't afford to be a hopeless alcoholic in college. Do kids have that much more money now or what? Also, I didn't have the time for it - working, early classes, etc. So, what's different now or is it different?

Diplomas For Drunks
    There's a lot to be said about being able to drink openly at 18; the school can monitor student drinking better (since neither the school nor the students have to be in denial) and many kids are less likely to binge in secret if they can drink openly, meaning they are less likely to develop the kind of secretive, binge habits that sometimes lead to alcoholism. It might be safer all around to have the drinking age reduced.

The negative side, of course, is that a drinking age of 18 means that some seniors in high school could legally buy alcohol for their younger siblings and friends. This "trickle down" effect in high school was the reason that a lot of states went to 21. High school students drinking and driving were a major problem. I don't know if the figures have gone down any, but I know that MADD was heavily involved in getting that drinking age changed.

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by MstrBlue View Post

Even though I personally think that the age should stay at 21, there is one group of people, that should be able to enjoy the drinking age of 18, and it is not the college crowd.

In my own opinion, many (not all) 18 year old college students are already giddy with the freedom of being on their own, and have enough to deal with, establishing their independence from their parents. They do not need the added distraction and confusion that alcohol offers.

However, I think that anyone in the military should be able to drink on-post at the age of 18.
    If they are old enough to enlist in the military, and thereby willing to die for their country, then they should be able to buy and enjoy a damned drink!
    That is fucking bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    That is fucking bullshit.
    Concise and to the point.

Still, to what statement to you object?
    Social Order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain - Marquis de Sade