Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    That is the way it's supposed to work, but there are unfortunately many so called "Christians" who have done things in the name of Christianity that are really not very "Christian" at all. They give all of us a bad name.
    Christians are human. Humans mess up all kinds of things. However, for every Fred Phelps out there, there are thousands of real Christians who live the lfe.

Along that line of thought, I heard today about a bike rally at a church in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The Guts Church is hosting a Harley rally and a band (forgot the name) to raise money for work in Haiti. The church has already raised 1/4 million, but need more to support the church, school, and hospital they've built. They currently feed something like 1000 kids every day, but really need to expand that program. They also are working on digging wells to provide clean water.

Strangely enough, this normal Christian occurance did NOT make national news...though it might if Phelps could be convinced to protest it.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    So, do Christians do charity because they think it is the right thing to do or do they do it for the promise of reward in the afterlife? The way I see it, if charity is a good thing to do, then it is a good thing to do regardless of whether God is involved or not. So, why even bring God into it?
    Christians give because it is a good thing to do, and because it pleases Christ that we do so. I guess some believe this is tied to a reward in heaven, but most don't. The reward is that it pleases our Savior. What more could we want?

As for not bringing God into it, what's the point of caring for the needs of this world while ignoring the huge and wonderous benefits of the next? How could we be loving our brothers if we withhold from them the path to joy in this world, and joy in the next? How horribly cruel, to feed the stomach while allowing the soul to wither.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    The price of the charity is the sponging of your time and focus - without end. (reference Jehovah Witness methods for an education on this reality) A doctor heals you wound and sends you on your way, without a lifetime commitment and the entrails of you life being drug out in public for group judgement.
    Point one, Jehovah's Witness theology does not match Christian theology. Many consider them a cult born of theologic ignorance.

Point two, and I may be mistaken, but haven't you agreed with the notion of "free" healthcare...instead of having the doctor heal your wound and then extract payment for years and years. :D
    -
    -
    -

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    Point one, Jehovah's Witness theology does not match Christian theology. Many consider them a cult born of theologic ignorance.
    That's funny - that's exactly what they say about "regular" Christians.

Point two, and I may be mistaken, but haven't you agreed with the notion of "free" healthcare...instead of having the doctor heal your wound and then extract payment for years and years. :D
    You'll need to show me - exactly - where I ever said that.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

I work with quite a few Native Americans...none of which have ever complained to me
    Maybe they were just busy trying to thing up the verbiage for the Thank You card they were all going to send you - for their ancestors - for the smallpox, VD, rape and executions by firearms your Christian ancestors brought them, long ago. In as much as many padres saw to it that young Indian men here in California were regularly executed if they weren’t willing to help construct the various missions of the time - I can see how their upbringing under the cross has carried on.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

That's funny - that's exactly what they say about "regular" Christians.
    Of course. As I said, the theology is greatly different. You're the one who called them "regular" Christians.

You'll need to show me - exactly - where I ever said that.
    You may not have. I said I could be wrong. It just seemed funny to act as though the doctor would let go of you quicker than a voluntary organization.
    -
    -
    -

Maybe they were just busy trying to thing up the verbiage for the Thank You card they were all going to send you - for their ancestors - for the smallpox, VD, rape and executions by firearms your Christian ancestors brought them, long ago. In as much as many padres saw to it that young Indian men here in California were regularly executed if they weren’t willing to help construct the various missions of the time - I can see how their upbringing under the cross has carried on.
    Thank God they never killed any white (or other color) people!! Imagine how hard it would be to hold a war against us forever if they'd done any killing themselves! Not to mention the smallpox!! It's so weird that a disease that never killed anyone anywhere else would kill so many here. But "my" Christian ancestors had very little to do with any of this, of course. Much was done by the US military and government...which we've been told endlessly are not and never were Christian-based in any way, shape, or form. What may (or may not) have been done by those political and UnChristian leaders of the Catholic church will certainly have been answered for already...as those leaders have all met their Maker also.
    -
    -
    -

Christians are human. Humans mess up all kinds of things. However, for every Fred Phelps out there, there are thousands of real Christians who live the lfe.

Along that line of thought, I heard today about a bike rally at a church in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The Guts Church is hosting a Harley rally and a band (forgot the name) to raise money for work in Haiti. The church has already raised 1/4 million, but need more to support the church, school, and hospital they've built. They currently feed something like 1000 kids every day, but really need to expand that program. They also are working on digging wells to provide clean water.

Strangely enough, this normal Christian occurance did NOT make national news...though it might if Phelps could be convinced to protest it.
    Oh...I don't disagree. The problem I have is that there are alot more Joel Olsteen's with Mega churches and a bull horn than there are John Pipers. Basically the Christian leadership that the public sees is not clear Christian doctrine. It's the people in the trenches that get scant attention.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Oh...I don't disagree. The problem I have is that there are alot more Joel Olsteen's with Mega churches and a bull horn than there are John Pipers. Basically the Christian leadership that the public sees is not clear Christian doctrine. It's the people in the trenches that get scant attention.
    Christian leaders that espouse clear doctrine are either dropped from the MSM completely, or very carefully and selectively quoted. Take Dobson for example. He isn't an actual minister or anything, of course, he is a psychologist, but of the millions of words he airs every year, only about 20 make it to national news...very carefully editted and quoted to make him appear offensive. Christian leaders like D. James Kennedy or Ken Hutcherson are treated much the same way. Compare the coverage on Hutcherson's stance on gays, and on his program for helping people adopt. Many people are determined to "hate" Christians regardless of any facts, and the MSM is definitely working to assist. There are many who've slipped from true doctrine, but those who have not are demonized by any means possible.
    -
    -
    -

What may (or may not) have been done by those political and UnChristian leaders of the Catholic church will certainly have been answered for already...as those leaders have all met their Maker also.
    So let me get this straight - the "non-regular Christians" are:

The Catholics,

Jehovah Witnesses,

and, maybe, The Mormons?