Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
    Christians dont "feel like their crap doesn't smell" we know we are all sinners, not just you. We also don't think we "can do his job and judge you". You are judged by one person, "big guns upstairs". We aren't judging you, but sharing with you the word of God so can see you go to Heaven with us.
    Let's try to even half-way honest about this topic - ALL supposedly devout Christians yearn to be Their Brother's Keeper. It fills a massive hole they have in their lives and I've been set upon by folks that have dope addict children that think they've got the answers for what they believe troubles me and my family. Instead of addressing the massive cavern in their own experience - they jump over one square on life's chess board and glom onto somebody else's existence to make them feel whole and have purpose in their dreary life. For me at least, and the way I was raised - that defines hypocrisy perfectly.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Let's try to even half-way honest about this topic - ALL supposedly devout Christians yearn to be Their Brother's Keeper. It fills a massive hole they have in their lives and I've been set upon by folks that have dope addict children that think they've got the answers for what they believe troubles me and my family. Instead of addressing the massive cavern in their own experience - they jump over one square on life's chess board and glom onto somebody else's existence to make them feel whole and have purpose in their dreary life. For me at least, and the way I was raised - that defines hypocrisy perfectly.

Completely false and you know it. Its a stereotype that Liberals "think' Christians are doing and you just perpetuate it.

I personally don't share the word of Jesus with anyone. The true meaning of spreading the word of Christ is to share with people who don't know about him that he is your savior and giving them the opportunity to learn about him. Everyone in America has heard of Jesus by now, its between you and him if you accept him as your savior. Not my business. I do support financially as well as spiritually, missions to spread the word of Jesus in parts of the world where they've never heard of him. Giving them the chance to accept Jesus or not. If they choose not to, that between them and God.

So no, Its not ALL supposedly devout Christians yearning to be their brother's keeper. Because you are not my brother. We might have the same father, but we don't know each other. But that's your choice, not mine or other Christians.
    Last edited by BSR; 06-08-2008 at 08:06 PM.

ALL supposedly devout Christians yearn to be Their Brother's Keeper. It fills a massive hole they have in their lives...

Actually, the presence of Christ fills the hole that all people have in their hearts. "Keeping our brothers" is not a yearning, it's a command. It's done to please our Savior. I'm sure it must be terrible to have people in your life that are willing to help you if you need it.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Hurling elephants much? We as Christians desire to walk in the light. If we see a fellow believer erring we will first go to him privately, than to two or three others, the elders etc. just as it is prescribed in the Bible to address such issues among BELIEVERS. We cannot hold unbelievers to the same standards. That is between them and their maker.
    Woe to those who call evil good
    and good evil,
    who put darkness for light
    and light for darkness,
    who put bitter for sweet
    and sweet for bitter.

Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    and clever in their own sight.

Isaiah 5:20-21

BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by InspiredHome View Post
    Hurling elephants much? We as Christians desire to walk in the light. If we see a fellow believer erring we will first go to him privately, than to two or three others, the elders etc. just as it is prescribed in the Bible to address such issues among BELIEVERS. We cannot hold unbelievers to the same standards. That is between them and their maker.
    Exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by jinxmchue View Post
    So I'm irrational?
    Fred Phelps, Yes. MrsSmith and you, probably not.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd-try View Post
    You're arguing something you have no understanding of. The reality is, neither do I. At this point, I don't have this amazing faith that gives strength in the worst of times. But, I've damn sure seen it in action.
    Evidence is defined as an outward sign. None of us can evaluate in any meaningful way what you're describing as evidence of God.

You may have experienced what you firmly believe to be evidence of God or evidence of God's will in action, but that, in and of itself, is not evidence of anything other than your willingness to believe.

I've known some brilliant people who were very religious. Very committed, and their religious teachings figured into every major decision they made. No, I don't "get it" yet, just like you.
    However, I don't simply assume my powers of logic are above anyone who's deeply religious. I think it's way more complex than that.
    I haven't argued that religious people are stupid. Such an argument would be impossible to defend because human history is replete with examples of highly intelligent religious people.

All I'm saying is, don't develop some DU'ish attitude toward the possibility of life altering faith. I've never met a person who regretted finding. You never know.
    As a person who once had faith, I can assure you that I don't want it back.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    Fred Phelps, Yes. MrsSmith and you, probably not.
    Fred Phelps is a Calvinist and that makes him somewhat different from the average Christian of today, but what really makes him different from the average Christian is not what he believes but the fact that he is willing to employ confrontational and reprehensible tactics to espouse his beliefs.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    Fred Phelps is a Calvinist and that makes him somewhat different from the average Christian of today, but what really makes him different from the average Christian is not what he believes but the fact that he is willing to employ confrontational and reprehensible tactics to espouse his beliefs.
    Fred Phelps doesn't represent true Christians anymore than Osama Bin Laden represents true Muslims.

So my question is, do you label all Muslims as terrorists like you label all Christians as Fred Phelps policy followers who just don't speak their minds ?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
    Fred Phelps doesn't represent true Christians anymore than Osama Bin Laden represents true Muslims.
    I didn't claim that Fred Phelps represents true Christianity, whatever that is. In fact, what I wrote is that Fred Phelps is different from the average Christian in that he is...

1. A Calvinist.
    2. An extremist.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas