Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Originally Posted by LogansPapa
    I have faith - I just choose not to cram my faith down the throats of strangers on the street. My faith is a solemn thing - to be shared with few and only in an appropriate place. Shaking a Bible in someone's face and condemning them to Hell is not faith.
    I see these same arguments used for anti-Christian threads. In fact I see it so often I doubt that it happens more than it is used as an excuse to bash Christians. I have been a Christian for many years and have never committed any of the above offenses.

When it comes to passing judgment on those of other beliefs, not 'of the body', Christians have spread their oppression as far as ships of old would take them. So save the "we do it for our brother's good" noise. The supposed charity never comes without a very sharp hook.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    I didn't claim that Fred Phelps represents true Christianity, whatever that is. In fact, what I wrote is that Fred Phelps is different from the average Christian in that he is...

1. A Calvinist.
    2. An extremist.

No, you implied the only difference between me (The Average Christian) and Fred Phelps isn't what we believe, but the fact he uses confrontational and reprehensible tactics. That is offensive,

but what really makes him different from the average Christian is not what he believes but the fact that he is willing to employ confrontational and reprehensible tactics to espouse his beliefs.

Let me help you out here. What Fred Phelps believes is EXACTLY what makes him different than average Christians. We do not believe "Fags die, and God laughs" we don't believe "Thank God for 9/11"

Fred is a proclaimed democrat as well, maybe he holds your beliefs?

BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    When it comes to passing judgment on those of other beliefs, not 'of the body', Christians have spread their oppression as far as ships of old would take them. So save the "we do it for our brother's good" noise. The supposed charity never comes without a very sharp hook.
    You're not our brother, LogansPapa. I only hold other Christians accountable for there actions. I am my Christian brother's keeper, just as much as they are my keeper. We hold each other accountable in the eyes of the Lord. You have to answer for yourself when you meet your maker. Your a non-believer that will have to answer to God on your own.

BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    I see these same arguments used for anti-Christian threads. In fact I see it so often I doubt that it happens more than it is used as an excuse to bash Christians. I have been a Christian for many years and have never committed any of the above offenses.
    It's the anti-Christian mem. Proclaim to have faith, but not like Christians because they follow a specific stereotype.

I'm a student of history and there's a great deal to answer for in the last two millennium. Our presence in the Middle East presently is just a continuation of that bile. I've got alot of shit to answer for but none of it's anything to do with an attempted conversion of anyone.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

BSR
    And with that, I am out of this thread. I made a promise with myself along time ago never to debate politics or Religion. Neither one of us are going to chance each others mind, or convert each other. All we are doing is yelling in the wind. SO, instead I will pray that God one day restores your faith Night Owl and LogansPapa in Jesus. I would hate to see you not make it to Heaven. I don't want you to burn in hell like you might think, I want you Heaven with me.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    Fred Phelps, Yes. MrsSmith and you, probably not.
    Calvinists were the original pilgrims driven out of England by the authority's for their religious extremeism that settled in Boston town.

Calvinists are at the extreme edge of Christianity . and Calvin didn't preach forgiveness for sin only that once a sinner always a sinner and all sinners are hell bound .

His justification for a pre damned sinner doing any good in the world was the goodness of GOD that would require a sinner to be good in return but still be hell bound !

"The most important theological position that Calvin took was his formulation of the doctrine of predestination. The early church had struggled with this issue. Since God knew the future, did that mean that salvation was predestined? That is, do human beings have any choice in the matter, or did God make the salvation decision for each of us at the beginning of time? The early church, and the moderate Protestant churches, had decided that God had not predestined salvation for individuals. Salvation was in part the product of human choice.

Calvin, on the other hand, built his reformed church on the concept that salvation was not a choice, but was rather predestined by God from the beginning of time. This mean that individuals were "elected" for salvation by God; this "elect" would form the population of the Calvinist church."
    !

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    I'm a student of history and there's a great deal to answer for in the last two millennium. Our presence in the Middle East presently is just a continuation of that bile. I've got alot of shit to answer for but none of it's anything to do with an attempted conversion of anyone.
    I have nothing from the last two millenia to answer for either. I do believe I have to give an account for the last 49 years and counting.

Are you attempting now to convert people to your viewpoints?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
    No, you implied the only difference between me (The Average Christian) and Fred Phelps isn't what we believe, but the fact he uses confrontational and reprehensible tactics. That is offensive.
    I think I was pretty clear when I wrote that Fred Phelps is somewhat different from the average Christian in that he is a Calvinist.

Fred is a proclaimed democrat as well, maybe he holds your beliefs?
    Fred Phelps was a Democrat many years ago before he started his God Hates Fags campaign, but I haven't seen any evidence that he considers himself one now. I have, however, read an interview in which Phelps indicates that he considers himself to be to the right of Jerry Falwell and the Moral Majority.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas