Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 93
  1. #81  
    Senior Member MrsSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,393
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    So let me get this straight - the "non-regular Christians" are:

    The Catholics,

    Jehovah Witnesses,

    and, maybe, The Mormons?
    Neither Jehovah's Witnesses nor Mormons follow standard Christian theology. There are some points of difference between Catholic theology and conservative Protestant, but they are generally very close...probably closer than some of the more liberal Protestant churches.

    In general, the "regular" Christians, however, are all the people who have accepted a personal relationship with Christ, regardless of anything else. As a huge part of theology is resident in the relationship with the Holy Spirit, the points of disagreement are much diminished.
    -
    -
    -

    In actual dollars, President Obamaís $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. Itís no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

    Under Obamaís own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #82  
    To clarify a bit on Mrs. Smith's excellent point: Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe the Trinity and they do believe that the battle between Christ and Satan has already happened (in 1914). The LDS also do not believe in an orthodox conception of the Trinity and have divergent views on salvation. The Catholics have a salvation perspective that is more dependent on works than most Protestant views although virtually all Protestants consider them Christian - just "funny".

    The first two (as well as Oneness Pentecostals) are usually not considered Christian by traditional or orthodox Christians - they are Christian-Lite. The latter are Christians. Mostly. :p
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #83  
    Senior Member LogansPapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    3,782
    Sounds like a separatism fest to me. My Godís better than your God. Jesus wept.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #84  
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mpls, MN
    Posts
    8
    This thread took a while to catch up on. You know, I believe in the Lord of the Bible. I don't belong to any denomination, I haven't studied for years at a seminary. As for that, the Word is meant to be plain to those who read it.

    It's wasn't written so only the elite teachers could disperse it's wisdom. So having said that, I feel I have a good understanding of His Word and no where do I find justification for the horrible things Fred has done. It's easy to lay blame on christianity for so many wrongs done in His name, but that doesn't make it so, that Christianity, or Christ himself is to blame.

    At the same time I understand it seems like an "out" to "fall back" on something like this (we won't take credit for the bad, only the good) as I hear in other forums. But there it is all the same. The easiest way to see if something is advocated is to study the top advocate - Jesus, in this case.

    Does the bible really seem so convoluted to most non-believers? Well. . . just as I wrote that I remember back when I was a very ticked-off angry atheist liberal. And yea, I guess it was to me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #85  
    Senior Member MrsSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,393
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Sounds like a separatism fest to me. My Godís better than your God. Jesus wept.
    There is only one God. He did weep, for us, for our misery and pain. What an awesome God!
    -
    -
    -

    In actual dollars, President Obamaís $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. Itís no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

    Under Obamaís own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #86  
    Senior Member MrsSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan S. View Post
    This thread took a while to catch up on. You know, I believe in the Lord of the Bible. I don't belong to any denomination, I haven't studied for years at a seminary. As for that, the Word is meant to be plain to those who read it.

    It's wasn't written so only the elite teachers could disperse it's wisdom. So having said that, I feel I have a good understanding of His Word and no where do I find justification for the horrible things Fred has done. It's easy to lay blame on christianity for so many wrongs done in His name, but that doesn't make it so, that Christianity, or Christ himself is to blame.

    At the same time I understand it seems like an "out" to "fall back" on something like this (we won't take credit for the bad, only the good) as I hear in other forums. But there it is all the same. The easiest way to see if something is advocated is to study the top advocate - Jesus, in this case.

    Does the bible really seem so convoluted to most non-believers? Well. . . just as I wrote that I remember back when I was a very ticked-off angry atheist liberal. And yea, I guess it was to me.
    I wonder how many actually read it...and how many fall back on the anti-Bible websites and books that cherry-pick verses to create the "proper" slant?

    I know that I used to have a very hard time reading the New Testament. I'd always bought the "Jesus, meek and mild" description, with no variation, and that just isn't the Jesus speaking in the Gospel. That is a man full of power, He actually sounded so arrogant to my inner ear. One of the clearest signs of the Holy Spririt, to me, was my change of attitude.
    -
    -
    -

    In actual dollars, President Obamaís $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. Itís no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

    Under Obamaís own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #87  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    8,565
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Sounds like a separatism fest to me. My Godís better than your God. Jesus wept.
    OR...............My understanding of My God is more accurate in MY OPINION than your understanding.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #88  
    Senior Member The Night Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    ...He actually sounded so arrogant...
    Something we can agree on.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #89  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    To clarify a bit on Mrs. Smith's excellent point: Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe the Trinity and they do believe that the battle between Christ and Satan has already happened (in 1914). The LDS also do not believe in an orthodox conception of the Trinity and have divergent views on salvation. The Catholics have a salvation perspective that is more dependent on works than most Protestant views although virtually all Protestants consider them Christian - just "funny".

    The first two (as well as Oneness Pentecostals) are usually not considered Christian by traditional or orthodox Christians - they are Christian-Lite. The latter are Christians. Mostly. :p
    When I was in high school we were studying something related to the Catholic Church and the teacher asked who was Catholic and familiar with what was being talked about. When I raised my hand I was schocked to see only about 4 others out of 30 raise their hands. A girl in front of me who I had been friendly with looked at me with surprise and blurted out "I didn't know you were Catholic. It was odd. Up until then I had never thought about my being Catholic as being different at all. I also realized that just about all of my close friends were Catholic. I guess all those years of CCD sort of did it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #90  
    Senior Member LogansPapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    3,782
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    OR...............My understanding of My God is more accurate in MY OPINION than your understanding.
    OR..........you're comfortable with living in a communal system and your supposed understanding just gives you comfort about being a communist?
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •