Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36
  1. #1 Religion: US Atheists know more about religion than believers 
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,852
    I just love this....

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...uiz-finds.html

    Non-believers and agnostics scored an average of 20.9 out of 32 in a quiz about different faiths, while religious respondents averaged 16.5.

    People in the south of the US, which is renowned for its religious fervour, performed worse than those elsewhere. Oh snap!

    ....

    Almost half of Catholics surveyed did not know that their church teaches that the bread and wine used in Communion actually become the body and blood of Christ. :eek:

    A majority of Protestants, meanwhile, could not identify Martin Luther as the driving force behind the Protestant Reformation. :eek:
    I'd have to say that most atheists I know have been classic "seekers" at some point in their life, or they became dissatisfied with the explanations of their religions offered. As a consequence, they endeavored to learn about different belief systems and why people believe what they do.

    At least the Mormons did well..
    Last edited by wilbur; 10-04-2010 at 10:49 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    53,118
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    I can see this is of great concern to you.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    I would like to see how the questions were phrased. However I am not surprised as many "Christians" in the US are CINO (Christians in Name Only) and are w/e religion/denomination because their parents were.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,852
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    I would like to see how the questions were phrased. However I am not surprised as many "Christians" in the US are CINO (Christians in Name Only) and are w/e religion/denomination because their parents were.
    Here's a much more detailed analysis...

    http://pewforum.org/Other-Beliefs-an...ge-Survey.aspx


    And this PDF has all the questions in Appendix B:

    http://pewforum.org/uploadedFiles/To...ge-topline.pdf
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    most of those questions are pretty easy the only one I had to look up for sure was about Maimonides as I've never heard of him.

    also of interest was that most of the respondents were Liberal, Democrats, and made under $40k a year, with no kids.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    I would like to see how the questions were phrased. However I am not surprised as many "Christians" in the US are CINO (Christians in Name Only) and are w/e religion/denomination because their parents were.
    lol CINO, our entire country is CINO
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    20,130
    You know what I find funny? If atheists like Wilbur and Bill Mahr are so offended by religion, why not just ignore it? Why spend so much time bashing it when you can simply ignore it's there? I think it comes down to the old saying, "methinks he doth protests too much." I think people like you want to believe that there is no God but know deep down that you are wrong so you start these inane arguments in hopes of convincing yourselves.
    The American Left: Where everything is politics and politics is everything.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    25,764
    wilbur, you seem to be the exception to this rule since every post you make on the subject evidences an extreme lack of knowledge.

    On the upside though, your views are amusing. If I keep reading, sooner or later you're bound to get something right. Even a blind squirrel stumbles upon an acorn once in awhile.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    You know what I find funny? If atheists like Wilbur and Bill Mahr are so offended by religion, why not just ignore it? Why spend so much time bashing it when you can simply ignore it's there? I think it comes down to the old saying, "methinks he doth protests too much." I think people like you want to believe that there is no God but know deep down that you are wrong so you start these inane arguments in hopes of convincing yourselves.
    That's....a...reallly...good...question...


    Yeah you know I've always laughed at people who attend "Atheist Clubs" and other sorts of things, that's so dumb, whats there to do at a club like that, everyone shows up and meetings over.

    Bill Maher is a child when it comes to religion. I watch his show and saw his damn movie neither were that interesting or provocative on the topic.


    Dawkins and Harris and the others too, terrible.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    25,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    That's....a...reallly...good...question...


    Yeah you know I've always laughed at people who attend "Atheist Clubs" and other sorts of things, that's so dumb, whats there to do at a club like that, everyone shows up and meetings over.

    Bill Maher is a child when it comes to religion. I watch his show and saw his damn movie neither were that interesting or provocative on the topic.


    Dawkins and Harris and the others too, terrible.
    wilbur claims to have retired from CU but I guess he and Brett Farve have the same idea of retirement. wilbur's extreme obsession with all things Christian have been well documented. wilbur sees the hint of something relating to Christianity in the title of a thread and he just has to respond. Even his self imposed retirement could not hold him back once his obsession is awakened.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •