Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Frito-Lay sends noisy, 'green' SunChips bag to the dump 
    Frito-Lay sends noisy, 'green' SunChips bag to the dump

By Bruce Horovitz, USA TODAY
    Frito-Lay is preparing to quietly sack its "green" but noisy SunChips bag.

Roughly 18 months after Frito-Lay, with great fanfare, launched a biodegradable SunChips bag made from plant material that was billed as 100% compostable, the company is yanking the noisy material from the packages of five of six SunChips flavors immediately.

The company is returning them to their former bags that can't be recycled — but won't wake the neighbors — while it works frantically to come up with a new, quieter eco-friendly bag.

The noise of the bag — due to an unusual molecular structure that makes the bag more rigid — has been compared to everything from lawnmowers to jet engines. There's even an active Facebook group with more than 44,000 friends that goes by the name of "Sorry But I Can't Hear You Over This SunChips Bag."

"Clearly, we'd received consumer feedback that it was noisy," says Aurora Gonzalez, a Frito-Lay spokeswoman. "We recognized from the beginning that the bag felt, looked and sounded different."
    I'm not precisely sure what the complaint is here although it may have something to do with single-serving bags. Does anyone eat these and understand the issue?

USA Today

Yes I have a bag of sun chips right here. Apparently you can toss this bag out your window and in a couple weeks it's totally biodegradable. That's amazing really.

HOWEVER. This is the loudest bag in existence. They may have inadvertantly created a noise machine. I can imagine at the next Fifa World Cup everyone just eating out of these chips instead of those damn vuvuzelas.

It's a big-size bag,and it's so damn loud. The bag feels a little weird, it's almost like a mixture between wrapping paper and aluminum foil, and noisier than both.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    Yes I have a bag of sun chips right here. Apparently you can toss this bag out your window and in a couple weeks it's totally biodegradable. That's amazing really.

HOWEVER. This is the loudest bag in existence. They may have inadvertantly created a noise machine. I can imagine at the next Fifa World Cup everyone just eating out of these chips instead of those damn vuvuzelas.

It's a big-size bag,and it's so damn loud. The bag feels a little weird, it's almost like a mixture between wrapping paper and aluminum foil, and noisier than both.
    Who knew? They sell those chips in the cafeteria so I might be forced to buy a bag for experimental purposes. I would think that parents could reduce the noise factor by just buying the big bag and measuring out individual portions into a reusable container for their kids.

Any particular flavor I should buy for the experiment?

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Who knew? They sell those chips in the cafeteria so I might be forced to buy a bag for experimental purposes. I would think that parents could reduce the noise factor by just buying the big bag and measuring out individual portions into a reusable container for their kids.

Any particular flavor I should buy for the experiment?
    Garden Salsa is pretty good if they have it. And that idea is too bright. People just want their chips DAMN IT. not everyone is MacGyver

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    Garden Salsa is pretty good if they have it. And that idea is too bright. People just want their chips DAMN IT. not everyone is MacGyver
    LOL! I'll see what they have. Maybe I'll take the bag and stake it out in the garden to observe the effects.

Biodegradable? Does it start to degrade on the grocer's shelf - leaching into the chips?

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    Biodegradable? Does it start to degrade on the grocer's shelf - leaching into the chips?
    Maybe oxygen has to interact with the inside surface (and the toss in an oxygen absorber)

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    The most annoying bag of all time. I bought some on sale earlier this year, and heard the bag make a loud sound when I tossed in the grocery cart. Didn't think much of it until I took them to work and I swear people could hear that damn bag 10 offices away.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

I really hate it when companies try to placate a few nutbags. Believe me when I tell you that a few plastic bags will have zero impact on the environment. It amazes me that there are people arrogant enough to believe that we can actually harm this planet. George Carlin was right:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjmtSkl53h4
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I really hate it when companies try to placate a few nutbags. Believe me when I tell you that a few plastic bags will have zero impact on the environment. It amazes me that there are people arrogant enough to believe that we can actually harm this planet. George Carlin was right:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjmtSkl53h4
    I love that video! He's so right on.