Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    While we are on the subject of people who did not do well at their respective Military Academies:

Grant:
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/grant/p.../p_ugrant.html

U. S. Grant showed little promise at West Point. Although relatively well educated, he studied little. He stood out in mathematics and horsemanship, which had always been his best subjects, as well as in art. He earned his lowest marks in French. Ulysses graduated 21st out of 39 cadets in his class.
    Patton:
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~mickay/patton.htm

Due to deficiencies in mathematics, he had to spend an extra year at West Point, but this deficiency was no detriment to his superb military skills which gained him the cadet adjutancy his final year.
    Fleet Admiral William Halsey:
    http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq36-5.htm

William Frederick Halsey, Jr., was born in Elizabeth, New Jersey, on October 30, 1882, the son of the late Captain William F. Halsey, U. S. Navy. As a Navy junior, he made the usual round of schools prior to his appointment to the Naval Academy. President McKinley gave him an appointment in 1900.

While at the Naval Academy he distinguished himself in class committees and athletics, but not in scholarship.
    There are many more examples than these three but I thought I would not bore you with the entire list. The act of graduating a school such as Annapolis or West Point sets the person who graduated last in their class above a Princeton or Harvard graduate who finished at the top of theirs. Yes, it is that much harder.

In point of fact I have known a few Harvard grads who were unemployed but i have never met a military academy alum who was hurting for a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    If you cant beat his arguments, assasinate his charecter. LibraryLady is a vicious old witch who sits up in her attic gathering mud on anybody who dares to get in the way of the conservative agenda. She has no job or anything and pretty much drains social security so she can post on the internet all day about nothing.
    You'll tear up your transmission up in nothing flat shifting into reverse without the clutch like that. Put at least two posts in between contradictory statements.
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Eyelids darling, this thread is about a thread in the DUmp. See, that's what this
    forum is for!

Now if you want to start personal attacks on LL or anyone else I suggest you
    take it to the Dome. That's what it's for. :)

Dumbass.
    Might want to pass that along to the mouth-breathers who follow me around constantly.

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by RepubliPaul View Post
    While we are on the subject of people who did not do well at their respective Military Academies:

Grant:
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/grant/p.../p_ugrant.html

Patton:
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~mickay/patton.htm

Fleet Admiral William Halsey:
    http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq36-5.htm

There are many more examples than these three but I thought I would not bore you with the entire list. The act of graduating a school such as Annapolis or West Point sets the person who graduated last in their class above a Princeton or Harvard graduate who finished at the top of theirs. Yes, it is that much harder.

In point of fact I have known a few Harvard grads who were unemployed but i have never met a military academy alum who was hurting for a job.
    Are you suggesting that the lower you place the better you'll do. Exceptions dont make the rule.

Are you suggesting that the lower you place the better you'll do. Exceptions dont make the rule.
    The higher you place doesn't make you either.

Might want to pass that along to the mouth-breathers who follow me around constantly.
    If they follow you around, they have to be mouth breathers to get any oxygen not sucked up your nostrils.
    Last edited by Rebel Yell; 08-21-2008 at 03:27 PM.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids
    No. I am suggesting that his place in the graduating class is irrelevant and that the lowest ranking graduate of one of the Military Academies is better than the best Summa Cum Laude Ivy League graduate. I provide the following examples of Ivy League graduate to juxtapose with the previous list of underachieving Military Academy graduates...

Ted Kaczynski:
    http://law.jrank.org/pages/12223/Kac...on-genius.html

Young Ted breezed through school, skipping two grades and showing a talent for mathematics. He graduated from Evergreen Park High School at age sixteen and immediately entered Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, on a math scholarship. Because he was so much younger than the other students, Ted was viewed as an oddity and spent most of his time alone studying. He graduated in 1962 at the age of twenty and set off for graduate school. Ted earned a master's and a doctorate degree in mathematics from the University of Michigan over the next five years. His prizewinning dissertation (thesis) was on a pure mathematical problem about circles and equations.
    Bernard Francis Law:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Francis_Law

He graduated from Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts with a major in medieval history, before entering priesthood studies at St. Joseph Seminary in St. Benedict, Louisiana, from 1953 to 1955, and the Pontifical College Josephinum in Worthington, Ohio, from 1955 to 1961.
    Jeffrey Skilling:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Skilling

During his admissions interview for Harvard Business School, he was asked if he was smart, to which he famously replied, "I'm fucking smart."[1] Skilling earned his M.B.A. from Harvard Business School in 1979, graduating in the top five percent of his class.

So here we have a terrorist, a man who used his position of power to shield child molesters, and an extremely corrupt businessman who robbed millions of dollars from thousands of people. All of them are graduates of Harvard and by all accounts tops in their classes. The very best of what Harvard has to offer, so to speak.

On the other hand, in my previous post, we have 3 examples of men who have contributed to our country in extraordinary ways against overwhelming odds. All of them were mediocre academics. All of them were graduates of our Military Academies.

Hey......wait.....didn't Barack Obama go to Harvard? And McCain went to the Naval Academy?

Hmmm.......I think I am going to have to go with the underacheiver.....

[QUOTE]John McCain graduated 894th in a class of 899 at the Naval Academy at Annapolis. His father and grandfather were four star admirals in the Navy. Some have suggested that might have played a role in McCain being admitted. His academic record was awful. And it shows over and over again whenever McCain is called upon to think on his feet.

The guy who graduates last in med school is called what? Doctor. :)
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Well, if you don't want mouth breathers following you around Blinky, tell your family to back off.

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    Well, if you don't want mouth breathers following you around Blinky, tell your family to back off.
    Dont hate my family because my parents aren't cousins like yours.
    Last edited by ralph wiggum; 08-22-2008 at 12:55 PM.