Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Liberal Lies, Misunderstandings, and Misconceptions About Iraq 
    From; The Provocateur.

Monday, June 16, 2008
    Liberal Lies, Misunderstandings, and Misconceptions About Iraq
    Over the weekend, I wrote this piece about common liberal misconceptions about some of the most controversial GWOT techniques. Since that was received relatively well, I have decided to do a follow up about similar misconceptions that liberals have specifically toward Iraq.

1) No one knows what victory is so we can't tell if we are doing well because we won't know if we ever win.

This is a misconception on many levels. First, as long as violence is down and the trajectory on violence continues downward we are winning. In other words as long as everyday brings less and less violence that means we are winning. Furthermore, the reduction in violence has been combined with significant political progress. This progress has not only been seen in many of the so called benchmarks (slowly more than half have been reached), but it also includes significant progress locally in many parts of the country. Locals in places like Ramadi have taken the bull by the horn. They have turned on AQI and other militias and they have restored order mainly on their own. Folks that used to be allied with the enemy are now allied with us and they are now patrolling local streets as part of newly minted police forces.

Furthermore, victory has always been defined as an Iraq, at peace with itself and its neighbors, a stable, self functioning government, capable of defending itself, and an ally in the GWOT. While this maybe a broad and vague form of victory, and one that was demeaned as impossible as late as last year, it is one that is now very close to being achieved. The simple fact of the matter is that the central government has recently not only taken on AQI but the Sadr militias. Maliki's government has shown leadership in taking on the terrorist elements within its borders, furthermore it has begun to function in every way as a representative government of all the people of Iraq.

2) Sunnis and Shias have been fighting for more than a millennial and we are only getting in the middle centuries of bad blood. When things were at their darkest in the war in Iraq, this certainly seemed to be the case. In fact, in the last year and a half this simply is not true. For the most part, Iraqis have chosen peace. We have simply not seen the sort of retribution that we used to see for ethnic cleansing. Furthermore, the central government has begun to function as a coalition of all factions. The military and the police have all begun to function professionally with mixes of each sect.

The reality is that liberals simply saw the Iraqis, and Middle Easterners in general, as some sort of savages that had no understanding of humanity. They saw these folks not as human beings, but as blood thirsty savages that only want to kill and torture those that they view as different. They saw Iraq as some sort of a place where the only motivation for most is the bloodthirsty revenge of prior wrongs perpetrated upon their brethren. That's the way my liberal friend described the situation last August as violence was just beginning to subside and the continued decrease in violence has proven him, and everyone else that holds this opinion, WRONG.
    (snip)

:) Lots of links at the URL.
    Last edited by Teetop; 08-19-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: brainfart

So let me try to understand this. Violence is down in Iraq because of the Surge and a more massive presence by our folks, right? The bad guys are being tamed (or turned in - for cash, I would presume) by their neighbors that are sick of all of the killing in their various towns and settlements?

Thereís no way in Hell the thugs arenít watching CNN and seeing the distaste for this war building within the Untied States and simply holding their fire until withdraw begins? If everyoneís being fed, the lights are on for a couple of hours every day, and your crap doesnít crawl back up out the toilet - wouldnít you just bury your weapons and wait until the White folk leave?

At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Sonnabend
    And LP gets the brass razoo for not understanding a single thing. I'm not going to waste time educating you....you just dont get it.

Liberals....waste of space.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    I'm not going to waste time educating you....you just dont get it.
    I that a promise?
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Sonnabend
    I that a promise?
    Sadly in your case, yes. You are beyond help.

Sadly in your case, yes. You are beyond help.
    And yet you didnít bother to address the points about the bad guys saving their ammo - guess that means Iím right.:p

Sonnabend
    And yet you didnít bother to address the points about the bad guys saving their ammo - guess that means Iím right
    ..no, it means I have given up trying to drive facts through that slab of concrete you laughingly call a brain.

You and Eyelids are the same..neither one of you will listen.

You and Eyelids are the same..neither one of you will listen.
    You know what I think? You just donít know and are embarrassed to say so. :D

And there you have it, folks: Nada! :D:D:D

Say hello to my little friend.
    Hello, welcome to the United States of America.
    Please press 1 for English. If you can't please press 2 to disconnect until you learn how to speak English. Thank you.