Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Tea Partiers ‘Comfortable With White Privilege,’ Liberal Analyst Claims 
    Tea Partiers ‘Comfortable With White Privilege,’ Liberal Analyst Claims
    Thursday, October 07, 2010
    By Penny Starr

Susan Brooks Thistlewaite

Susan Brooks Thistlethwaite, an ordained minister, religion professor and senior fellow at the Center for American Progress, says supporters of the tea party movement are afraid of the white race becoming a minority in the United States. Thistlewaite spoke at the Brookings Institution on Tuesday, Oct. 6, 2010 in Washington. (CNSNews.com/Penny Starr)

Washington (CNSNews.com) – A new survey on the tea party movement says tea party supporters are “more comfortable with white privilege,” according to a panel member who helped analyze the data.

The survey, which analyzes the movement and its ties to the “religious right,” was conducted between Sept. 1 and Sept. 15, 2010 from among 3,013 randomly selected people contacted by telephone. The survey shows that 80 percent of respondents who said they considered themselves supporters of the tea party are non-Hispanic or white.

Susan Brooks Thistlethwaite, an ordained minister, theology professor and senior fellow at the liberal Center for American Progress, said the data indicates anxiety about the changing racial landscape in America, where white people are projected to be a minority by 2050. She said that is part of the appeal of TV and radio personality Glenn Beck, who is trying to “redefine whiteness” by making this group victims of discrimination.

“I can generalize and say those attracted to the tea party are more comfortable with white privilege as a value and believe that leveling the playing field for minorities is not the business of government,” Thistlethwaite said Tuesday at the Brookings Institution.
    Read the whole thing. I can say with certainty that white academics and white liberal think tank members sure seem to be fearful and obsessed with race. Every Tea party event I've attended has been about political corruption, waste in government, and pending legislation. Certainly these are issues that should concern all Americans regardless of their skin tone or ethnicity.

CNS

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Read the whole thing. I can say with certainty that white academics and white liberal think tank members sure seem to be fearful and obsessed with race
    That's the point, one group seems content with ignoring it and pretending it's not an issue because they happen to be in a place of privilege as a result so it's really easy to do that.

Still though, it's a stretch to pretend the tea party doesn't have people who are terrified of the prospect of whites not being the majority anymore.

And yes there is plenty of a white victimization complex present there too...

Look I'm sure the vast majority of people in the Tea Party are respectable people, not overtly racist or anything like that, but to totally ignore it as if there are no people like that or there isn't some slight element of race anxiety is just trying to not see the obvious.

If there weren't limits to how many pictures I could fit in a post this would be much longer.

Look I'm sure the vast majority of people in the Tea Party are respectable people, not overtly racist or anything like that, but to totally ignore it as if there are no people like that or there isn't some slight element of race anxiety is just trying to not see the obvious.
    Its kind of hard not to have anxiety when you have more and more stories like Beat Whitey Night, or Polar Bear Hunting (http://m.news-gazette.com/news/court...stigation.html).

See, the Left has its own "race anxiety", that is a collective guilt over things other white people have done in the past. Its the secular version of Original Sin.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    So, since a tiny minority of people (of all backgrounds) dislike people outside their own race, we should make that the centerpiece of any collective political effort?

Should we disparage all black political efforts because some blacks beat up whites and Hispanics recreationally and selectively steal from Koreans? Should we dismiss all Hispanic political groups because the largest one is admittedly racist and would like to see both blacks and whites excluded from the Southwest? That would be nuts and it is equally crazy to inflate charges of racism and have them overshadow a group committed to ending political corruption and government waste.

I'm sure thousands of women in my own bloodline have been beaten, raped, and oppressed by men for thousands of years but I don't walk around accusing every man of harboring those desires.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    So, since a tiny minority of people (of all backgrounds) dislike people outside their own race, we should make that the centerpiece of any collective political effort?

Should we disparage all black political efforts because some blacks beat up whites and Hispanics recreationally and selectively steal from Koreans? Should we dismiss all Hispanic political groups because the largest one is admittedly racist and would like to see both blacks and whites excluded from the Southwest?
    Not at all, but if hundreds of thousands of blacks or hispanics showed up to protest things, including race issues, it would be silly to ignore that race plays a role in the social reality we live in.

That would be nuts and it is equally crazy to inflate charges of racism and have them overshadow a group committed to ending political corruption and government waste.
    Some people may try, but I am not, to paint a single brushstroke of "racist" across the tea party. It's just that there has been racism detected and the Tea Party has been so adamant about denying any of it, pretending that they don't even see race, it just sounds like denial from the outside.

It's like...a guy with a confederate flag on his truck. He may not a racist, he may just like history or that design, but when people see this guy driving in his truck talking about some issue that has to do with race....it just rings some bells. I think the Tea Party can stand beyond it's reputation gained from a few nutjobs, but you guys can't be so determined to deny that race exists as an issue.

I'm sure thousands of women in my own bloodline have been beaten, raped, and oppressed by men for thousands of years but I don't walk around accusing every man of harboring those desires.
    Right, but if you were speaking out against women oppression you wouldn't be stirring up gender conflict, you'd be right!

How about providing links to where these pics came from?
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    People are angry. And there are always some people who take that first amendment thingy seriously. Addiitionally, these people are no more racist than blacks who belong to NoI or the NBP party. Thirdly, who knows what is a plant.

I don't like him. I think he's a racist. I think he contemplates a race war or at the very least, antagonism between the races for his own ends. If someone gets hurt along the way, it won't be him so he's not concerned.
    I think it is unconscionable that there is NO responsible person(s)/party to make sure that their candidate meets the eligibility requirements. THat HAS to stop. There should be NO QUESTIONS at all in this area.

I doubt his Christianity and sincerity and question his muslim support, and suspect his muslim status. He is a jackass as far as Economics and government are concerned and his knowledge and appreciation of the Constitution or anything innately American. I don't think he understands that last part and doesn't have the capacity for EVER understanding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    but to totally ignore it as if there are no people like that or there isn't some slight element of race anxiety is just trying to not see the obvious.
    Who is "totally ignoring it"? Do you just make shit up so you can see yourself post?

Comrade...there are racists all around us. In every party, race, creed, sex, religion, etc. Yes, there are racists in the Tea Party. Just as there are racists in the Democrat party. Wow. What an epiphany.

The guy standing next to you at the deep fryer might be a racist.

Some people may try, but I am not, to paint a single brushstroke of "racist" across the tea party.
    Yes you are. You highlight in a way you wouldn't dare do with other ethnic/political groups.