Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1 Brown Supports Whore Comment Describing Whitman 

    On politics in the Golden State

    An associate of Jerry Brown calls Meg Whitman a "whore" over pension reform (AUDIO)
    October 7, 2010 | 6:22 pm

    In a private conversation that was inadvertently taped by a voicemail machine, an associate of Democratic gubernatorial candidate Jerry Brown can be heard referring to his Republican opponent Meg Whitman as a “whore” for cutting a deal protecting law enforcement pensions as the two candidates competed for police endorsements.

    The comment came after Brown called the Los Angeles Police Protective League in early September to ask for its endorsement. He left a voicemail message for Scott Rate, a union official. Brown apparently believed he had hung up the phone, but the connection remained intact and the voice mail machine captured an ensuing conversation between Brown and his aides.

    With evident frustration, Brown discussed the pressure he was under to refuse to reduce public safety pensions or lose law enforcement endorsements to Whitman. Months earlier, Whitman had agreed to exempt public safety officials from key parts of her pension reform plan.

    “Do we want to put an ad out? … That I have been warned if I crack down on pensions, I will be – that they’ll go to Whitman, and that’s where they’ll go because they know Whitman will give ‘em, will cut them a deal, but I won’t,” Brown said.

    At that point, what appears to be a second voice interjects: “What about saying she’s a whore?”

    “Well, I’m going to use that,” Brown responds. “It proves you’ve cut a secret deal to protect the pensions.”


    The tape was released to The Times by the Los Angeles police union.
    More, as always, at the link.

    LA Times Blog
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pierce County
    Posts
    2,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    More, as always, at the link.

    LA Times Blog
    If those tapes gets released out to the general public, Brown will loose this election by 7-10% points.
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pierce County
    Posts
    2,081
    Audio is at link...This has legs.....Brown is toast. :D
     

  4. #4  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Mau10man View Post
    Audio is at link...This has legs.....Brown is toast. :D


    I'm not a big fan of either candidate, but they are using the term in the political sense, meaning selling out one's political favors for money, not the world's oldest profession sense. It's only a problem because the candidate in question is a woman. If it had been said about a man in the same context, it would not be a big deal. Or, if the speaker had been a woman talking about a woman, no one would have really paid attention.


    I'm not saying it's right to speak about people that way, unless they are literally whores or lawyers.
     

  5. #5  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,301
    All politicians are whores...

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pierce County
    Posts
    2,081
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I'm not a big fan of either candidate, but they are using the term in the political sense, meaning selling out one's political favors for money, not the world's oldest profession sense. It's only a problem because the candidate in question is a woman. If it had been said about a man in the same context, it would not be a big deal. Or, if the speaker had been a woman talking about a woman, no one would have really paid attention.


    I'm not saying it's right to speak about people that way, unless they are literally whores or lawyers.
    Wrong. Reverse the parties. You know damn well if Brown were a republican and Whitman a democrat the uproar would be deafening.
     

  7. #7  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,464
    Brown comes across as a bitter, nasty old man. He should look in the mirror, don't think he's all that clean.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"


     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member Arroyo_Doble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ft Worth
    Posts
    3,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Mau10man View Post
    Wrong. Reverse the parties. You know damn well if Brown were a republican and Whitman a democrat the uproar would be deafening.
    And it would be just bloggity blog "outrage." More fodder for the eyeball selling douchebags who profit off the marketing of political disagreement. Tribalist garbage.
     

  9. #9  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    And it would be just bloggity blog "outrage." More fodder for the eyeball selling douchebags who profit off the marketing of political disagreement. Tribalist garbage.
    I'm glad you think people like Olbermann and Matthews are tribalist garbage.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member Arroyo_Doble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ft Worth
    Posts
    3,788
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I'm glad you think people like Olbermann and Matthews are tribalist garbage.
    I do.

    Edit: Thought you said Maddow. Matthews is generic left-center porn. Used to be a guilty pleasure but even now, I don't even watch that any longer.
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •