1. #1 Rant and a question 
    You'd think all most people care about is that their doctor is a good doctor but nooooooo....

MountainLaurel (1000+ posts) Thu Jun-05-08 10:57 AM
    Original message
    Rant and a question
    So, we've moved recently and I am trying to find a new doctor, as I'm due for some routine checks and need to update an ongoing prescription. (One that my insurance probably won't pay for, but that's another story.) I firmly want to find a pro-choice physician, to ensure that dogma isn't going to get in the way of my medical care, whether it be gastrointestinal or gynecological. But because physicians, justifiably so, have to be concerned about some Operation Rescue idiot shooting them in their kitchen, it's almost impossible to determine whether a particular doctor is pro-choice or not. Even Physicians for Reproductive Choice does not provide a listing of members for the public. Planned Parenthood will sometimes tell you which docs they work with, but because my insurance plan requires I use docs in the hospital where I work, that likely won't do me much good. And I doubt the departmental receptionist who schedules appointments will have any idea about that sort of information. (And it's not like I can afford, even with insurance, to make 10 office visits to figure out who is pro-choice.) My strategy in the past has been one of eliminating docs from the "possible" list based on what I can find on the Internet. It's not pretty, but it's about the only option: Membership in the Christian Physicians and Dentists Association, out. Receive kudos or awards from a pro-forced-birth organization, out. Attend a Catholic church, out. Get quoted talking about how wonderful abstinence education is, out.

So, what are the strategies you use to find pro-choice doctors?
    This is where dogmatism goes too far. No replies yet, but interesting OP.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ddress=396x800
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace

Power CUer
    You would think so, but we've certainly had people post here in the past that they interview their physician to make sure he/she is pro-life.

Is that dogmatism too, or only if you don't agree with it?

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    You would think so, but we've certainly had people post here in the past that they interview their physician to make sure he/she is pro-life.

When I put my life in a doctor's hands, I want to be sure he is Pro-Life.

Power CUer
    So you want someone whose views match yours. Junebug says it is dogmatism if others do the same.

It's an interesting discussion. I think that most pro-life people simply view it differently. I have never bothered to find out the pro-life views of any doctor because I am pro-life and I do have a choice and no physician is in a position to either force me to have an abortion or force me to take my own life (yet). Men would have little reason to discuss the issue with their own personal docs.

I don't really have much of a problem with people who prefer to spend their money among the like-minded. My electrician is a deeply Catholic traditionalist who never fails to ask God to bless both his work and me in general. My chiropractor really believes in Spirit-led laying on of the hands in difficult cases among fellow-believers. This is all fine with me.

I'm sure there are wiccans who seek out wiccan landscapers and Buddhists who prefer Buddhist investment advisors.

Of course, I also believe that everybody has the right tell nosy people to STFU. :)

To me, this is like only wanting a white doctor, or only wanting a liberal doctor, or a this or that doctor. Maybe it's because I work in the medical field, but all I want is a damn good doctor. I knew this heart surgeon and he was one of the nastiest human beings I've ever met. Would I want to have a beer with him and discuss our common interests? No. Would I want him to do open heart on me? Hell yeah!

Just my POV.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebug68 View Post
    To me, this is like only wanting a white doctor, or only wanting a liberal doctor, or a this or that doctor. Maybe it's because I work in the medical field, but all I want is a damn good doctor. I knew this heart surgeon and he was one of the nastiest human beings I've ever met. Would I want to have a beer with him and discuss our common interests? No. Would I want him to do open heart on me? Hell yeah!

Just my POV.
    I actually agree with you - I don't want to know what teams my doctor roots for, etc. I also had a very good surgeon a few years ago who had an appalling bedside manner, but a very talented pair of hands when it counted.

I was just saying that the "dogmatism" wasn't unique to DU! :)

I actually agree with you - I don't want to know what teams my doctor roots for, etc. I also had a very good surgeon a few years ago who had an appalling bedside manner, but a very talented pair of hands when it counted.

I was just saying that the "dogmatism" wasn't unique to DU! :)
    Point taken then :)