Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    From a lawyer's standpoint, maybe. From the rest of us no f....g way it is gender neutral.
    Most of the whores I know are doctors...and most of them are male.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Really. If you think that doctors and lawyers are whores, the low life's you associate with must be wearing off on you.

You need to interact with people engaged in generic commerce more.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    You need to interact with people engaged in generic commerce more.
    I do. My experience is the more education one has, the more financially lucrative whoredom can be.

How so? A whore, used in that context, has nothing to do with a woman's sexual virtue, and it's gender neutral.
    Philly, what planet are you from? Whore isn't gender neutral. That the term has expanded from a woman who solicits money, kicks, or favors for illicit sex to include promiscuous men under 25 or men and women who sell out their stated ideals for power doesn't mean that the first usage isn't still the much stronger usage.

The term is effective precisely because it describes a specifically female sexual contrast: virtuous woman against licentious whore. This is a contrast that simply doesn't exist as effectively for male roles or mixed sex groups.
    Last edited by Gingersnap; 10-13-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Philly, what planet are you from? Whore isn't gender neutral. That the term has expanded from a woman who solicits money, kicks, or favors for illicit sex to include promiscuous men under 25 or men and women who sell out their stated ideals for power doesn't mean that the first usage isn't still the much stronger usage.

The term is effective precisely because it describes a specifically female sexual contrast: virtuous woman against licentious whore. This is a contrast that simply doesn't exist as effectively for male roles or mixed sex groups.
    I have used the shower metaphor often (wash the "whore" off). Gender made no difference. But I understand the objection when directed at a female.

In politics, it seems everyone is looking for "Macaca."
    Last edited by Gingersnap; 10-13-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I have used the shower metaphor often (wash the "whore" off). Gender made no difference. But I understand the objection when directed at a female.

In politics, it seems everyone is looking for "Macaca."
    I have never heard your usage. I have no idea how long Macaca has been used pejoratively toward whoever it refers to but I'm pretty sure men have been calling women and girls whores for several thousand years.

If we want to open up this kind of thing as a society, we certainly could but the only way to do it is do it for all groups regardless of our current PC standards. If a man can agree to label a woman opponent as a whore, then she ought to be able to label him as a retarded fag, if she wants to go there.

The same would be true of any currently banned labeling whether it ranges from the humorous to the explosively insulting.

I live on a planet where a pejorative is a pejorative and that particular one encompasses men and women when it comes to selling their ideals for a six pence.

Medical experts in cases are frequently referred to as "whores" and they are more than likely men.

I live on a planet where a pejorative is a pejorative and that particular one encompasses men and women when it comes to selling their ideals for a six pence.

Medical experts in cases are frequently referred to as "whores" and they are more than likely men.
    Sounds more like a 'term of art' in your usage. That doesn't really change things for the rest of us. ;)

I have never heard your usage.
    Akin to "Out, damn'd spot."

I have no idea how long Macaca has been used pejoratively toward whoever it refers to but I'm pretty sure men have been calling women and girls whores for several thousand years.
    I was refering to the Virginia Senate race in 2006 where the wheels came off the Republican candidate's campaign when he was recorded saying "Macaca." I was using it as a metaphor.

If you like, I can also say everyone is looking for their Zoe (the California race has both!).

If we want to open up this kind of thing as a society, we certainly could but the only way to do it is do it for all groups regardless of our current PC standards. If a man can agree to label a woman opponent as a whore, then she ought to be able to label him as a retarded fag, if she wants to go there.
    There is polite company and there is you and your friends. I don't think it is OK to call a candidate for Senate a "whore" but to be honest, I have heard much much worse. This indignation is, as I said, a search for Macaca.