Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Not your Momma's meatloaf 
    gator
    I decided to do a meatloaf on the Big Green Egg.

I used Alton Brown's recipe, which I kinda like.

Prep:

I cooked it for 1.5 hrs at 350 degrees on the Big Green Egg.

It turned out excellent. It was very moist and had a good background hickory flavor. Even a litle smoke ring. Probably the best meatloaf I ever had.

Meatloaf for supper tonight and grilled meatloaf sandwiches later in the week.

Disclaimer: I'm a Yankee

What's a smoke ring?

/me bites his tongue
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post

What's a smoke ring?
    Definition: In the world of barbecue the smoke ring is one of the most sought after properties of smoked meats. It is believed to show that you have done a good job and properly low and slow smoked the meat in question. Is particularly prized in smoked brisket. So what is it?

A smoke ring is a pink discoloration of meat just under the surface crust (called bark). It can be just a thin line of pink or a rather thick layer. A good smoke ring is around 1/4 inch in thickness. The smoke rings is caused by nitric acid building up in the surface of meat, absorbed from the surface. This nitric acid is formed when nitrogen dioxide from wood combustion in smoke mixes with water in the meat. Basically it is a chemical reaction between the smoke and the meat.

So how to do you get the best smoke ring? Opinions vary. Generally water soaked wood produces more nitrogen dioxide loaded smoke. If you really want to make sure you get a smoke ring then cheat. Coating meat with a salt tenderizer link Morton's Tender Quick, will load up the surface of the meat with nitrogen dioxide and give you a great smoke ring. Because of the prevalence of this kind of cheating, smoke rings are no longer taken into consideration in barbecue competitions.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    It's a meatloaf. :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Nice.

I saw a cooking show where they used crushed soda crackers (saltines to all the yankees out there) mixed with milk as a binder. Supposed to be really good for moist meatloaf. I plan to try it.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    Definition: In the world of barbecue the smoke ring is one of the most sought after properties of smoked meats. It is believed to show that you have done a good job and properly low and slow smoked the meat in question. Is particularly prized in smoked brisket. So what is it?

A smoke ring is a pink discoloration of meat just under the surface crust (called bark). It can be just a thin line of pink or a rather thick layer. A good smoke ring is around 1/4 inch in thickness. The smoke rings is caused by nitric acid building up in the surface of meat, absorbed from the surface. This nitric acid is formed when nitrogen dioxide from wood combustion in smoke mixes with water in the meat. Basically it is a chemical reaction between the smoke and the meat.

So how to do you get the best smoke ring? Opinions vary. Generally water soaked wood produces more nitrogen dioxide loaded smoke. If you really want to make sure you get a smoke ring then cheat. Coating meat with a salt tenderizer link Morton's Tender Quick, will load up the surface of the meat with nitrogen dioxide and give you a great smoke ring. Because of the prevalence of this kind of cheating, smoke rings are no longer taken into consideration in barbecue competitions.
    Thank you kind sir for such a detailed explanation.

I have a charcoal grill, a small one that I only used a few times to grill some thick cut rib steaks....Nothing beats charcoal flavored bar b q in my opinion. I won't buy a gas grill. I like to smoke artichokes at the end of grilling. I place the artichokes right into the coals, close the lid, and let it smoke in the smoldering flames for an hour. Best artichokes you will ever eat!
    Now that the summer is close to be over, I will start grilling again...I hibernate in the summer down her in Floriduh!

What else do you use in meatloaf besides saltines and milk? I guess I use breadcrumbs sometimes, but I was raised on the saltines and milk.

BTW, the best meatloaf is KPauls.

Cajun Meatloaf
    My favorite K-Paul recipe. Makes great meatballs too!

SEASONING MIX

2 bay leaves

1 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tsp black pepper

tsp white pepper

tsp cumin

tsp ground nutmeg

4 tbs butter

c finely chopped onions

c finely chopped celery

c finely chopped green pepper

c finely chopped green onions

2 tsp minced garlic

1 tbs Tabasco sauce

1 tbs Worcestershire sauce

c evaporated milk

c ketchup

1 lb ground beef

lb ground pork

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1 c fine bread crumbs

Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in s amall bowl. Set aside.

Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, green pepper, green onions, garlic, Tabasco, Worcestershire and seasoning mix. Saute until mixture start sticking excessively, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping the pan bottom well. Stir in milk and ketchup. Continue cooking for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool for 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place the ground beef and pork in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs, the cooked cooled vegetable mixture, removing the bay leaves, and the bread crumbs. Mix by hand until thoroughly combined. Put into a greased loaf pan. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes.

Raise the oven temperature to 400 degrees and continue cooking for an additional 40 minutes.

gator
    Thank you kind sir for such a detailed explanation.

I have a charcoal grill, a small one that I only used a few times to grill some thick cut rib steaks....Nothing beats charcoal flavored bar b q in my opinion. I won't buy a gas grill. I like to smoke artichokes at the end of grilling. I place the artichokes right into the coals, close the lid, and let it smoke in the smoldering flames for an hour. Best artichokes you will ever eat!
    Now that the summer is close to be over, I will start grilling again...I hibernate in the summer down her in Floriduh!
    Usually it takes four to six hours to properly get a smoke flavor to a meat.

Throwing a few woods chips in gas grill or even a charcoal grill will not do it.

Some people like to pretend that they are smoking by buying a smoker box to put into their gas grill but they are only fooling themselves. The smoker box or sometimes foil with a few soaked chips in it will give off a smoke smell to the person operating the grill but it does not permeate the food. Not by a long shot.

What's a smoke ring?
    Something from a Cheech & Chong movie? :D