http://www.democraticunderground.com...ess=433x482357

Edited on Tue Oct-19-10 07:51 PM by ProSense
Stupid in Delaware (How on earth did Chris Coons keep a straight face?)

Flashback: Stupid in Arizona

They are making total asses of themselves.

anybody want to bet how long it will take before someone on DU realizes that the phrase separation of church and state is not in the constitution..... i put $2,000 bucks on never

The concept of separation of church and state refers to the distance in the relationship between organized religion on the one hand and the nation state on the other. The term is an offshoot of the original phrase, "wall of separation between church and state," as written in Thomas Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptists Association in 1802. Jefferson was responding to a letter that the Association had written him. In that letter, they expressed their concerns about the Constitution not reaching the State level. The Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution did not yet exist, thus leaving the States vulnerable to federal legislation. In Jefferson's letter, he was reassuring the Baptists of Danbury that their religious freedom would remain protected - a promise that no possible religious majority would be able to force out a state's official church. The original text reads: "...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."[1] The phrase was quoted by the United States Supreme Court first in 1878, and then in a series of cases starting in 1947. The phrase itself does not appear in the U.S. Constitution, although the First Amendment of the Bill of Rights states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separat...urch_and_state

Yahoo had to admit O'donnell was right by rightfully saying this in thier updated article "The words "separation of church and state" appear nowhere in the Constitution. That's true, and O'Donnell's camp now says that's what she really meant. " but yahoo had to preface thier admission by saying "This was not just some poetic flourish. This was one of the nation's founders and author of the Declaration of Independence explaining exactly what the First Amendment means.". all of a sudden they are treating jefferson like he the only founding fathers not noting that that is one founding fathers opinion out of many. Also Yahoo played thier usual political game by headlining thier updated article "Church, State and the First Amendment: What O’Donnell needs to know" seems to me O'donnell knows all about the constitution and Yahoo should be calling out the audience at Weidner law school and Chris Coon for lack of knowledge about the constitution. (wishful thinking i know that will never happen)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_exclus...-needs-to-know

Also seems to me Chris Coons should drop out the race because by his admission he does not know anything about the constitution and today he made the statement that a candidate for the U.S senate should know what the first admendement says and those people that do not know what the first admendment says are not qualified to be a U.S. Senator..... honor your own words Coons and quit because your not qualified to be a U.S. sentator