Thread: Is McCain open to reenacting the draft?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Resident Grump
    That doesn't mean that I think that those that volunteer are unsuitable, simply that, in the scheme of percentages, women are less capable of serving than men
    Women and men serve equally in Israel, and they do well.I often wonder why those women who want to be in combat..aren't allowed to be. There is certainly precedent..and no one can say women have no courage.

So why not let them?

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    That's a tough one. Honestly, no, I don't think so. Part of it has to do with we need to still have people of that age here at home to keep our country running. Part of it has to do with my general disinclination to draft women into military service. I don't think, in general, they are suited for it. That doesn't mean that I think that those that volunteer are unsuitable, simply that, in the scheme of percentages, women are less capable of serving than men. There are certainly some women that are more capable. But to take a random group, who do not volunteer, I think you will have a higher percentage of those that are male than those that are female that are capable of serving.
    Interesting. I think the idea behind conscription is to create more bodies to throw at the enemy, and it was proven in Vietnam and subsequent military conflicts that such style of warfare doesn't work. But I think that if there was a draft, and the idea was more than fodder, then women should also be subject to it. Women don't have to serve in combat roles, they could serve in support or auxiliary, if women in combat remains a compelling concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    If the US restarts a draft it would be a mistake of catastrophic proportion, not to mention the shattering effect it would have on the military as it is now.

McCain was being diplomatic..and before LP wades in with his "foreigner" shit again (I am here to fucking stay, so siddown, and shut the fuck up...) it was the only proper response.
    I donít disagree with what youíre saying, Sonnabend. I just think John was tired and the draft comment didnít even register. I donít think itís any more complicated than that. What bothers me is why his people didnít immediately come out afterward and clarify their guyís statement.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    Interesting. I think the idea behind conscription is to create more bodies to throw at the enemy, and it was proven in Vietnam and subsequent military conflicts that such style of warfare doesn't work.
    I'm not a military history expert, and I really don't have links and such to back me up, but I don't believe that the style of warfare being draft related failed to work. I think the politics of how the war was executed was what caused failure. I also think that if there is to be a draft, college shouldn't be a deferment. There is nothing like putting socio-economic distinctions in place to cause issues with regards to such a thing.

But I think that if there was a draft, and the idea was more than fodder, then women should also be subject to it. Women don't have to serve in combat roles, they could serve in support or auxiliary, if women in combat remains a compelling concern.
    I can't say I disagree completely with you here. As I said, it's a difficult question for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Women and men serve equally in Israel, and they do well.I often wonder why those women who want to be in combat..aren't allowed to be. There is certainly precedent..and no one can say women have no courage.
    I understand that they do well, although I don't know the full extent of their participation.

So why not let them?
    I think my concern lies more in the cohesiveness of the unit and the possibility of their use in a POW situation. I do tend to view women as the fairer sex and subject to special protection. Yeah, I know...throw away my feminist card.

But it's not an easy question for me. All the answers I have I'm not completely comfortable with.

Understand that the participants of the Viet Nam conflict, both military personnel and protesting street scum are still quite with us and still retain very strong emotions about that SEA incursion. If McCain were to reinstate the draft this country would go into revolution mode in about a week. Even hinting that such an eventuality is possible, especially prior to being elected, will equate to the gold standard of political suicide.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

I have no problem with a draft, as long as there are no college deferments this time.
    Draft my ass!

As a conservative...I'll take my que from Reagan.

it rests on the assumption that your kids belong to the state. If we buy that assumption then it is for the state – not for parents, the community, the religious institutions or teachers – to decide who shall have what values and who shall do what work, when, where and how in our society. That assumption isn't a new one. The Nazis thought it was a great idea."
    or Daniel Webster..

Where is it written in the Constitution, in what article or section is it contained, that you may take children from their parents, and parents from their children, and compel them to fight the battles of any war, in which the folly or the wickedness of Government may engage it?
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Power CUer
    I do tend to view women as the fairer sex and subject to special protection.
    You obviously spent no time at a girls' prep school :p

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    You obviously spent no time at a girls' prep school :p
    Ha!! Very true!

Eyelids
    I'll run to Canada if they have a draft and come back once it's over. Screw fighting these asshole's wars.