Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Other than the last bag of weed in Illinois...what exactly would you be willing to die for?
    Really, in the interest of self-preservation and skipping any unreasonable situations ("if it was either you die or everyone else in the world dies") I wouldn't give my life for anything. I'm not so easily manipulated as to throw my body in front of bus due to happenstance of birth.

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    We have no choice, economically, but to intervene in every little shit-pot in the world - as long as there’s a buck to be made. The French military exporters are the biggest whores on the planet - and always have been. A colonial history does that to you.

We will follow the same, exact path and hire mercenaries from other countries - if need be - to ‘project our power forward.’ Reference the amount of armed contractors in Iraq at the very moment for an education on that reality.

Here's how you differentiate between American security and an unnecessary intervention. Butler figured it out 70 years ago.

If you want to wage interventionist war and conscript soldiers...then you conscript all the ones that have gain in the venture.

The only way to smash this racket is to conscript capital and industry and labor before the nations manhood can be conscripted. One month before the Government can conscript the young men of the nation -- it must conscript capital and industry and labor. Let the officers and the directors and the high-powered executives of our armament factories and our munitions makers and our shipbuilders and our airplane builders and the manufacturers of all the other things that provide profit in war time as well as the bankers and the speculators, be conscripted -- to get $30 a month, the same wage as the lads in the trenches get.

Let the workers in these plants get the same wages -- all the workers, all presidents, all executives, all directors, all managers, all bankers -- yes, and all generals and all admirals and all officers and all politicians and all government office holders -- everyone in the nation be restricted to a total monthly income not to exceed that paid to the soldier in the trenches!

Let all these kings and tycoons and masters of business and all those workers in industry and all our senators and governors and majors pay half of their monthly $30 wage to their families and pay war risk insurance and buy Liberty Bonds.

Why shouldn't they?

They aren't running any risk of being killed or of having their bodies mangled or their minds shattered. They aren't sleeping in muddy trenches. They aren't hungry. The soldiers are! - Major General Butler

I think it's only right that the private who's life is on the line day in and out at the hands of the "threat" to American security should be paid roughly the same amount as the guys who send them there.

Watch how long a foreign war that has little to do with real security lasts.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    Really, in the interest of self-preservation and skipping any unreasonable situations ("if it was either you die or everyone else in the world dies") I wouldn't give my life for anything. I'm not so easily manipulated as to throw my body in front of bus due to happenstance of birth.
    That's what I thought. Some day you'll discover that your personal existence is really not all that important.

Eyelids
    It is to me.

It is to me.
    That's because you're not very bright.

Eyelids
    I think it's a pretty natural inclination to not want to die.

I think it's a pretty natural inclination to not want to die.
    Then you better get the heck out of Chicago

Murder Rate in Chicago is up 18 percent over last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    I think it's only right that the private who's life is on the line day in and out at the hands of the "threat" to American security should be paid roughly the same amount as the guys who send them there.
    How wide is the reality gap between that scenario and mold (still) dripping from the ceiling vent in a veteran’s recovery room - here in the States?
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    Then you better get the heck out of Chicago

Murder Rate in Chicago is up 18 percent over last year.
    Oh no, MURDER RATES! BE AFRAID!

Patent Member
    Oh no, MURDER RATES! BE AFRAID!

If you don't want to die, why would you choose to live in one of the cities with the highest murder rate?