Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Food Police Dis Phelps' Cereal Deal 
    Breakfast of a champion? Frosted Flakes! Phelps signs with cereal
    BY RICH SCHAPIRO
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Updated Wednesday, August 20th 2008, 9:16 AM
    Clary/Getty

Olympic legend Michael Phelps will appear on boxes of the Kellogg's brand sugar cereal, drawing sharp criticism from health experts worried about the message he'll be sending to children across America.

"I would not consider Frosted Flakes the food of an Olympian," said nutritionist Rebecca Solomon of Mount Sinai Medical Center. "I would rather see him promoting Fiber One. I would rather see him promoting oatmeal. I would even rather see him promoting Cheerios."

The announcement yesterday that Phelps, 23, winner of a record eight gold medals at the Beijing Olympics, would grace Frosted Flakes and Corn Flakes boxes instead of the traditional athlete's choice of Wheaties left many perplexed.

Frosted Flakes has three times the amount of sugar as Wheaties and 1/3rd the fiber.

This doesn't matter much to a virtuoso swimmer who consumes 12,000 calories a day.

Still, in a country where childhood obesity is an alarming issue, Phelps' iconic image sharing space with Tony the Tiger sends the wrong message, experts say.

"For a guy like Michael Phelps who isn't worried about obesity because he's burning thousands of calories as an athlete...eating Corn Flakes and Frosted Flakes every so often is not an issue," Solomon said.
    I hate these hand-wringing nannies! No kid is going to eat Fiber One no matter who is on the box. Maybe some porker child will see the Frosted Flakes box and decide to hit the community pool instead of playing WoW for 5 hours that day.

They're Grrrreat!

I guess chocolate chip pancakes aren't the breakfast of an olympic athlete, either.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    I guess chocolate chip pancakes aren't the breakfast of an olympic athlete, either.

Old SNL skit with Belushi and the little chocolate donuts!

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    Old SNL skit with Belushi and the little chocolate donuts!
    Belushi was smoking a cigarette in the skit too. :D

How about the kids eat the Frosted Flakes, use the energy from the sugar, and get their fat asses outside and play?
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Belushi was smoking a cigarette in the skit too. :D
    Yep!
    http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Li...e-donuts/2389/

His breakfast: a large bowl of porridge, three doorstep-sized sandwiches of white bread, butter, fried egg, fried onion, lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise; a five-egg omelette tastefully garnished with parsley; three slices of French toast liberally sprinkled with sugar; three pancakes topped with chocolate chips; and two large cups of coffee. That's breakfast.

Fuck Wheaties. Real athletes eat fried food, white bread (not wheat), lots of sugar and chocolate chip pancakes. IMO, if you exercise, you can eat whatever you damned well want.

noonwitch
    I don't think a bowl of cereal in the morning is what is causing kids to be overweight. If you read the label, there really aren't that many calories in a single serving of any cereal, sugared or otherwise. 200-400, somewhere in that range.

It's too much fast food and a lack of exercise that is making them fat. If they all got out and exercised like Michael Phelps, they wouldn't be fat no matter what they ate, even if they ate Whoppers and fries for dinner every day.

I we could still embed YouTube Videos I would put up the John Beloushi "Little Chocolate Donuts" video. :(

Quote Originally Posted by asdf2231 View Post
    I we could still embed YouTube Videos I would put up the John Beloushi "Little Chocolate Donuts" video. :(
    DO you have me on ignore? It's in #6!:D