Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    I'm going to modify my prediction: Republicans will take 65+ house seats and will fall short in the senate, with either a 50/50 or 49/51 split in favor of the Democrats, which will still be an epic shellacking for the Dems.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Democrats 167 Toss Ups 44 Republicans 224

I sure hope we put AZ-7 and AZ-8 into the R column tomorrow night. I don't care a whit for Giffords, but like what Kelly has to say, and I've got to stand with my fellow Devil Dog, so in that race I'd be voting for Kelly if I lived in that district. In AZ-8 I don't know much about McClung, but I know plenty about Grijalva and I'd love to see his America last, reconsquistador ass packing up and moving out. In that race I'd be voting against Grijalva. I'm also pretty sure Kirkpatrick's stupid rubber stamp of an ass is getting kicked out of AZ1, and Mitchell's going down in AZ5.

If all goes well after tomorrow AZ will be sending 7 R's and only 1 D to Washington. I can live with that.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I'm going to modify my prediction: Republicans will take 65+ house seats and will fall short in the senate, with either a 50/50 or 49/51 split in favor of the Democrats, which will still be an epic shellacking for the Dems.
    I'm thinking the Senate will be around 46 or 47 seats, but the House is solid mid-60's.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

I know this was way back in 1980. However, some of the things that Reagan said in his speech at the 1980 RNC are the very same things we agree with right now.

Transcript of speech: http://www.americanrhetoric.com/spee...gan1980rnc.htm

...Never before in our history have Americans been called upon to face three grave threats to our very existence, any one of which could destroy us. We face a disintegrating economy, a weakened defense, and an energy policy based on the sharing of scarcity.

The major issue of this campaign is the direct political, personal, and moral responsibility of Democratic Party leadership, in the White House and in the Congress, for this unprecedented calamity which has befallen us. They tell us they've done the most that could humanly be done. They say that the United States has had it’s day in the sun, that our nation has passed its zenith. They expect you to tell your children that the American people no longer have the will to cope with their problems, that the future will be one of sacrifice and few opportunities.

My fellow citizens, I utterly reject that view.

I will not stand by and watch this great country destroy itself under mediocre leadership that drifts from one crisis to the next, eroding our national will and purpose. We have come together here because the American people deserve better from those to whom they entrust our nation's highest offices, and we stand united -- we stand united in our resolve to do something about it.

We need a rebirth of the American tradition of leadership at every level of government and in private life as well.
    ...Isn't it once again time to renew our compact of freedom; to pledge to each other -- to pledge to each other all that is best in our lives; all that gives meaning to them -- for the sake of this, our beloved and blessed land?

Together, let us make this a new beginning. Let us make a commitment to care for the needy; to teach our children the virtues handed down to us by our families; to have the courage to defend those values and virtues, and the the willingness to sacrifice for them.
    Amazing how this one is dejavu.
    ...First, we must overcome something the present Administration has cooked up -- a new and altogether indigestible economic stew: one part inflation, one part high unemployment, one part recession, one part runaway taxes, one part deficit spending, seasoned with an energy crisis. It's an economic stew that has turned the national stomach.
    "Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives." Ronald Reagan