1. #1 Blood cells created from embryonic stem cells 
    Banned
    Scientists have used embryonic stem cells to generate blood -- a feat that could eventually lead to endless supplies of type O-negative blood, a rare blood type prized by doctors for its versatility.

"We literally generated whole tubes in the lab, from scratch," said Robert Lanza, chief science officer at Advanced Cell Technologies.

People usually require blood transfusions that match their own blood type: A mismatch can be fatal. Type O-negative can be safely transferred into anyone, but is only possessed by about 7 percent of the population, leaving supplies perpetually short.

<snip>

But because blood cells are short-lived and cannot divide, there's reason to believe that stem cell-derived blood cells could pose fewer complications than other therapeutic stem cells, which can divide unpredictably.

<snip>

But Lanza said his technique could also work with stem cells produced by de-differentiation, a new and ethically trouble-free process during which adult cells regress into an embryonic state.

De-differentiated cells have a tendency to go cancerous -- but because blood cells are DNA-free, said Lanza, they could be safe in this particular application.
    http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2...sal-blood.html

Cool stuff... maybe I won't have to donate blood anymore... someday.

I saw this article too and was fascinated. I gave blood for years until my diagnosis and then wasn't allowed to anymore.

I feel cord blood has tremendous potential.

Goldwater
    Ah, the miracles of science.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2...sal-blood.html

Cool stuff... maybe I won't have to donate blood anymore... someday.
    Yeah, all we have to do is slaughter scores of human beings at the earliest stages of development. Better to do that than actually sacrifice something yourself.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxmchue View Post
    Yeah, all we have to do is slaughter scores of human beings at the earliest stages of development. Better to do that than actually sacrifice something yourself.
    There are other ways to get stem cells besides the foetus. I'd hope you'd know.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    Although it is the easiest way, AFIAK

Power CUer
    It's nowhere NEAR being a fetus at the stem-cell stage; it's still a blastocyst.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxmchue View Post
    Call me crazy.. but... destroying one of these doesnt count as murder.

Originally Posted by jinxmchue
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    Scientists have used embryonic stem cells to generate blood -- a feat that could eventually lead to endless supplies of type O-negative blood, a rare blood type prized by doctors for its versatility.
    This procedure seems, at this point, to be focused on embryonic stem cells.
    “When the doctor is out, I’m in.”