1. #1 Whale of an offer: Buy SeaWorld, free animals 
    Whale of an offer: Buy SeaWorld, free animals

Forget about freeing just Willy. An animal-rights group says a supporter wants to buy one or more SeaWorlds from the theme parks' soon-to-be new owner so it can free all the animals, even killer whales.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals says an undisclosed donor wants to buy at least one SeaWorld park, then free the animals and replace them with virtual-reality or animatronic displays.

"We are very interested in this offer because the intelligent, social animals imprisoned at SeaWorld are . . . denied everything that is natural and important to them -- all in the name of 'entertainment,' " PETA wrote Aug. 14 to Carlos Brito, CEO of InBev NV/SA. Belgium-based InBev, one of the world's largest brewers, is to acquire the SeaWorld parks as part of its $52 billion acquisition of Anheuser-Busch Cos.

PETA spokeswoman Lisa Wathne said the Norfolk, Va., group's donor wants to remain anonymous and doesn't want to disclose how much he could pony up. "We don't know how high this donor will go, but he is serious. Whales, dolphins and other marine life are very important to him," she said.

Link
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Anheuser Busch the beer company? Why are they buying amusement parks.

I don't get it. I went to Sea World in Miami a while back, it was great. The trainers seem to take awesome care of the animals.

It's like if they were to see me have my dog do a trick. I should set my dog free to the wild. crazy. I am all for treating animals kindly, but that's crazy.

______
    Patrick
    4jacks
    4jacks@gmail.com

I'm sorry. Nobody smart enough to make 5 billion bucks is going to use it to buy a few thousand dollars worth of fish.

This is another one of PETA's stupid stunts. I guess the naked-chick-painted-like-a-tiger thing isn't working anymore.

Great.

It's bad enough when PETA was operating the rolling death wagon and dumping dead dogs and cats in dumpsters.

Can you imagine the stink from them dumping Orcas and Manatees after they can't pay to feed them?

Patent Member
    This is all well and good, until PETR comes along and tries to buy the PETA SeaWorld to set all the robots free.

Sonnabend
    If they pay by cheque, and the cheque bounces...who gets to blubber first?

You'd think they orca know better by now, anyway. Oh well, I guess they did it for the halibut....