Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 DC to AC inverters.. 
    I use a 400 watt constant to 800 peak inverter in my pick up truck. This is more then senficent for my Laptop but I hear a humming and clicking in the power adapter (tried it on regular outlets and do no hear either noise). I read up on the topic and they are saying I should use a pure sine wave inverter, does anyone know if that will cure the problem? I have problems with a priior laptop and dont want to go through that again.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Bailey; 10-26-2010 at 07:44 AM.

what make and model is your laptop.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    I use a 400 watt constant to 800 peak inverter in my pick up truck. This is more then senficent for my Laptop but I hear a humming and clicking in the power adapter (tried it on regular outlets and do no hear either noise). I read up on the topic and they are saying I should use a pure sine wave inverter, does anyone know if that will cure the problem? I have problems with a priior laptop and dont want to go through that again.

Thanks.
    Radio Shack makes a small sine wave inverter that runs from a twelve volt dc source like a car or small truck cigarette lighter or direct to the battery .They run about twenty nine bucks and work just fine.Power your laptop from one of those and your problems will be gone.

The battery chargers in the laptops use a switching regulator to change the batteries .Most pure switchers don't take kindly to the distorted power waveform of some high powered inverters.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    what make and model is your laptop.
    Alienware, I guess they are made by dell?

The Lone Star State, Next to the Red River
    The problem with most inverters is that they produce either a square wave output or a sawtooth wave output.A lot of electronics are fairly sensitive to this. What one needs is like megimoo suggested, a true sine wave inverter.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    The problem with most inverters is that they produce either a square wave output or a sawtooth wave output.A lot of electronics are fairly sensitive to this. What one needs is like megimoo suggested, a true sine wave inverter.
    Good advice.

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    buy a more expensive inverter.

Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    buy a more expensive inverter.
    Converting from DC 12 volts to ac and then back to DC 19 volts is very inefficient, you can get adapters that convert from 12 volt to 19 volt. I have 4 laptops and have one for each, I have had real good luck with the low cost ones you get at ebay. I use a laptop in my pickup all day every day.

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    I was just kidding around. I know very little about them other than how to hook them up when i need one.