Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 NPR commentator loses job over Muslim remark 
    NPR commentator loses job over Muslim remark

Juan Williams, speaking on Fox's 'The O'Reilly Factor,' says people in Muslim garb on planes make him 'worried' and 'nervous.' NPR says the remarks 'were inconsistent with our editorial standards.'

By Steve Padilla

October 21, 2010

National Public Radio terminated the contract of commentator Juan Williams after he said on Fox's "The O'Reilly Factor" that people wearing Muslim garb on airplanes made him "worried" and "nervous."

The move was first reported Wednesday on Twitter by NPR's media correspondent David Folkenflik, who said Williams' remarks "were inconsistent with our editorial standards."

Williams was discussing political correctness Monday with host Bill O'Reilly and said that it could "lead to some kind of paralysis, where you don't address reality."

"I mean, look, Bill, I'm not a bigot," said Williams, who is African American and has written extensively on the civil rights movement and race in America. "You know the kind of books I've written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on a plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous."
    LA Times

There's more at Legal Insurrection...

http://legalinsurrection.blogspot.co...owledging.html

...an excellent look at this situation...

...and more from Huckabee...

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...t-npr-funding/
    Last edited by marv; 10-21-2010 at 10:43 AM.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

It was cumulative. Not a one off.

Like it or not, right or wrong, free speech has consequences.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

This is one of the reasons why NPR needs taxpayer funding to keep afloat. They usually fire or marginalize the handful of people who actually have anything interesting to say.

Imagine if Dancing With The Stars only showcased fat, ugly people. Sure, a few people would tune in for that but most people would rather watch paint dry. NPR is the news/opinion-equivalent of watching Rosie O'Donnell and Whoopi Goldberg dance.

Fox News is going to totally embrace Williams, he already fills in for O'Reilly I can easily see him becoming a full time Fox News Contributor and possibly being O'Reilly's replacement when he retires
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Also woopty shit Juan is an idiot at times guess what so is everyone.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

I always do a scan of the people at the gate to see if there are an obvious Muslims. Now we all know I'm a very vocal advocate of treating the every day Muslim as an every day person, but this is just plain common sense. When there is a risk from a certain group of people, you keep an eye out for those people. Call it racial profiling if you want. I call it anti-terrorism, and it's what I'm trained to do.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

hahaha if you get scared of someone because they are dressed in traditional muslim clothing you need to turn off the fucking television

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    This is one of the reasons why NPR needs taxpayer funding to keep afloat. They usually fire or marginalize the handful of people who actually have anything interesting to say.

Imagine if Dancing With The Stars only showcased fat, ugly people. Sure, a few people would tune in for that but most people would rather watch paint dry. NPR is the news/opinion-equivalent of watching Rosie O'Donnell and Whoopi Goldberg dance.
    Yea. We want our factish infotainment to be truthiness filled fun for the whole family!