Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    I can't believe how people have gotten so worked up over China's anorexic, growth hormone deficient midgets beating our anorexic, growth hormone deficient midgets.
    LMAO!

Good way of putting it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4jacks View Post
    I really do hope they disqualify all the chinese gymnist.

I don't understand something, someone please educate me.

Why is being younger (14) an advantage in gymnastics? I don't know anything about gymnastics, but I would assume that a 16yo has had more time training, and is physically stronger and a better athlete. Honestly women hit thier peak physical prime at around 18. So why isn't an 18 year old gymnist assumed to be better?

A they judge for being flat chested and pre-puberty? I really don't understand.
    Bela Karolyi explained it. Younger kids don't feel the stress and pressure like older kids or adults. Less pressure or stress = better able to focus on routine.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck58 View Post
    Bela Karolyi explained it. Younger kids don't feel the stress and pressure like older kids or adults. Less pressure or stress = better able to focus on routine.
    Plus, they're more flexible and less likely to have a history of injury. I soooo hope they disqualify her for being too young - Nastia should have won anyway.
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    It's ironic that the Chinese talk about honor and then act so dishonorably. Remember, it's the land of the lead-paint toys exported all over the world.
    Why are you suprised ?Those critters would steal the pennys from a dead mans eyes !They lifted our warhead Mirv design data and had partial plans to our AWAC'S !

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebug68 View Post
    Plus, they're more flexible and less likely to have a history of injury.
    :D

They don't have a history to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck58 View Post
    That's part of it. Another is the physics of gymnastics. Having a lower center of gravity is an advantage. The taller you are, the harder it is to do the routines, which is why most gymnasts at that level are much shorter than average, Nastia Lukin being the exception. Younger gymnasts tend to be smaller, and have a higher percentage of muscle on their frames than older ones. Also, as stated above, they are more flexible, have fewer injuries and recover from them faster.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    That's part of it. Another is the physics of gymnastics. Having a lower center of gravity is an advantage. The taller you are, the harder it is to do the routines, which is why most gymnasts at that level are much shorter than average, Nastia Lukin being the exception. Younger gymnasts tend to be smaller, and have a higher percentage of muscle on their frames than older ones. Also, as stated above, they are more flexible, have fewer injuries and recover from them faster.
    Karolyi mentioned all that, too, if I remember. We were too busy laughing to really hear it all. The guy ought to have his own show. Talk about getting worked up.

I do like the way he didn't pull any punches, calling them as he saw them. It's refreshing to find somebody who doesn't try to make excuses when a routine is done poorly, or lays it on the line in regards his thoughts on the Chinese female gymnasts.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    I believe my friend Jinx meant that the athletes themselves should not be able to compete in future Olympics, not the entire country.
    Oh, no. If it's found, as it is suspected, that the Chinese government helped with this deception, the country should be banned, at least for a while.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    Stripped of their medals is reasonable, banning China from future Olympics is not.
    It is reasonable if the government helped with the deception, which is very, very likely.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

I saw on the TV news that at least one of those alleged 16 year olds had just lost a baby tooth during the Olympics. 16 year olds don't have baby teeth. Heck - neither do 12 year olds. Those little girls have GOT to be 10-12 years old.