Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1 Hip Muslim Moms group undone by D.C. Metro bomb plot 
    Hip Muslim Moms group undone by D.C. Metro bomb plot


    By Tara Bahrampour
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, October 29, 2010; 2:13 PM

    When Esraa Bani's phone started ringing Wednesday with news reporters on the line, she had no idea that an Ashburn man named Farooque Ahmed had been arrested for plotting to blow up Northern Virginia Metrorail stations, or that such a story could have anything to do with her.

    But Ahmed's wife, Sahar Mirza-Ahmed, was a member of Hip Muslim Moms, a freewheeling group of 50 or so young mothers Bani had started. Suddenly, the coupon-clipping, playdate-arranging suburban mothers were thrust into the national spotlight, associated with a horrifying plot that, as they noted, could have harmed their own families.

    "We all have family members who ride the Metro; we ourselves ride the Metro," said one Northern Virginia member who joined this year and did not want her name associated with terrorism. "So we're as scared as anybody else would be."

    Bani, 26, who works for a nonprofit organization and was dressed Thursday evening in a stylish geometric-patterned tunic, started the group two years ago using a Meetup Web page as an alternative to the stodgier, older mom groups across Loudoun County.

    "This area has tons of young Muslim professionals and their families," she said, sitting in her family room as her 2-year-old daughter played nearby. "They're really a new generation of Muslim Americans. We don't fit into the traditional groups."

    Now Hip Muslim Moms is being disbanded - a victim of the relentless attention generated by Ahmed's arrest.
    More at the link.

    Wa Po
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Ape Articulate_Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NJ, Exit Only
    Posts
    8,006
    Muslims have a serious PR problem globally. One would think that if they were really at odds with the Jihadists, they would make a more concerted effort to point that out. So far their approach has ranged from ambivalence to playing the victim. I am pretty sure that Jews, Christians, Hindus, etc. would have spoken with a singular voice and often in condemning what Muslims seem to shrug at.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    More at the link.

    Wa Po
    The group is called HMM...? Hmmmm.... :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    Posts
    1,165
    more likely theyre a money raising front group and they're feeling the heat.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    more likely theyre a money raising front group and they're feeling the heat.
    More likely they're just hipster Moms trying to fit in with hipster friends and failing. I doubt they know what their husbands do or care. If they are observant enough to eat halal and cover, they may not have much interaction with their husbands' "friends".

    This is not the case with orthodox Jewish women I have known (who seem to run the roost) but may apply to radical Muslim husbands.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    More likely they're just hipster Moms trying to fit in with hipster friends and failing. I doubt they know what their husbands do or care. If they are observant enough to eat halal and cover, they may not have much interaction with their husbands' "friends".

    This is not the case with orthodox Jewish women I have known (who seem to run the roost) but may apply to radical Muslim husbands.
    Halal hipsters? I don't know about that. I mean, yeah, they wear black, and all, but there's more to being a hipster than just that. They lack the critical douchebag attitude of hipsters, and while I'm sure that a lot of them sport soul patches or other facial hair (and their husbands might, also), it's just not the same.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,997
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Halal hipsters? I don't know about that. I mean, yeah, they wear black, and all, but there's more to being a hipster than just that. They lack the critical douchebag attitude of hipsters, and while I'm sure that a lot of them sport soul patches or other facial hair (and their husbands might, also), it's just not the same.

    LOL., especially the comments about hipsters.


    I suspect one of the things that makes these moms "hip" (compared to other muslim moms) is that they probably don't dress in all black.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    LOL., especially the comments about hipsters.

    I suspect one of the things that makes these moms "hip" (compared to other muslim moms) is that they probably don't dress in all black.
    Au contrair. Black is to hipsters as plaid is to Scotsmen, pinstripes are to Yankees or polka dots are to clowns. The head to toe black look (and in the case of the Halal hotties, that's literally head to toe, with just the eyes showing) is de rigeur. Maybe when they're alone with their husbands and modeling the latest infidel wear in the privacy of Purdah, it's a different story, but I suspect that the harem hipsters are strictly (and I do mean strictly) confined (and I do mean confined) to basic black.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,997
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Au contrair. Black is to hipsters as plaid is to Scotsmen, pinstripes are to Yankees or polka dots are to clowns. The head to toe black look (and in the case of the Halal hotties, that's literally head to toe, with just the eyes showing) is de rigeur. Maybe when they're alone with their husbands and modeling the latest infidel wear in the privacy of Purdah, it's a different story, but I suspect that the harem hipsters are strictly (and I do mean strictly) confined (and I do mean confined) to basic black.


    The hip muslim women here wear clothes from Macys and maybe a hijab. The older ones wear black dresses and hijabs, like a muslim version of old greek women who wear black dresses and black headscarves.

    A few in this area do the totaly burka thing, but they are mostly Somalians and other african muslims.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    The hip muslim women here wear clothes from Macys and maybe a hijab. The older ones wear black dresses and hijabs, like a muslim version of old greek women who wear black dresses and black headscarves.

    A few in this area do the totaly burka thing, but they are mostly Somalians and other african muslims.
    See, the really hip Muslims would wear a burkini, which, unfortunately, doesn't look like this:



    But is actually this:

    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •