Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    I am closer to Obama on economic and social policy... I am concerned about Iraq...The road to war is wide...The exit is narrow...I was ambivalent about going in...But we are where we are...We just can't leave Iraq without stabilizing it... Firemen don't let a building burn just because it's dangerous...

I don't want to see a repeat of Saigon circa 1975 in my lifetime...If we weren't involved in a war I would be more enthusiastic about Obama... We can't walk away from Iraq...

That's what make this election so difficult for me...

Hillary would have ran to the left of McCain on social and economic policy and would have run in the center on foreign policy. I would have been more comfortable with that...

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    McCain is likely to suffer Nixon's problem with Kennedy. Next to Obama, McCain looks uncomfortable. Obama nauseates me but he gives a better oration than McCain. McCain also looks downright stupid when he puts on that smile meant to engage. It looks more like a T-shirt I have that reads;" I smile because I have no Idea what is going on."

Unfortunately the media will enable the election of this Great Pretender. Obama and the nation are going to wake up and say "Oh S***! What have we done?" Especially when he starts his confiscatory taxing agenda.
    Hitler was also a good speaker.

If the nation is so dumb as to think that Obama's promises will be good for this country then the people deserve what they get. Besides, having Liberals win an election every once in awhile is just God's way of reminding everybody from time to time to vote Conservative.

Did you hear his bullshit today about giving everybody a free college education? Maybe he didn't really mean everybody. Maybe he only meant those that speak Ebonics as a first language. Who in the hell is going to pay for all of that? What is going to happen to the economy when that money is taken out? There won't be a fracking job available for anybody regardless of their education.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    Don't ask me, I happen to think Biden's okay for a democrat. Ask your party members, or buddies on the other site that totally ignored his experience and credentials. I happen to prefer a "democracy" that picks its leaders based on political philosophy, positions they take on issues and their proposed solutions to pending problems. Not on how well they can hold the fleeting attention of a public who's limit is about 30 seconds. Republicans are painfully aware that the media picked their candidate, your side hasn't woken up to the fact that the media not only picked yours too, but also narrowed your choices for you.
    AMEN, Lager. Biden would have been a really experienced person to have running. Why we have this empty suit running is just beyond me.

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    Hitler was also a good speaker.

If the nation is so dumb as to think that Obama's promises will be good for this country then the people deserve what they get. Besides, having Liberals win an election every once in awhile is just God's way of reminding everybody from time to time to vote Conservative.

Did you hear his bullshit today about giving everybody a free college education? Maybe he didn't really mean everybody. Maybe he only meant those that speak Ebonics as a first language. Who in the hell is going to pay for all of that? What is going to happen to the economy when that money is taken out? There won't be a fracking job available for anybody regardless of their education.
    Its called controlling the rich poor gap. Ever think that may be a contributing factor to our current recession?

The slow down in the economy can be attributed to the spike in oil prices and the meltdown in the housing sector...When people have to pay a lot more for gas and everything that is transported while their homes are worth a lot less they will have less money to spend on everything else...

Eyelids
    Thanks random guy on the internet (much less a Republican LOL) for a completely worthless 2 line explanation of our economic problems!

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    Thanks random guy on the internet (much less a Republican LOL) for a completely worthless 2 line explanation of our economic problems!
    Who are you referring to?

My reasons for what what is causing the slow down are the same reasons that one hundred out of one hundred classically trained economists will give you, ergo:

"The double whammy of rising oil prices and plunging home prices could turn a mild recession into something more threatening ."

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...pStories_ssi_5

Rising gas prices and declining home values are leaving people with less discretionary income consequently they have less money to spend to buy things. When people stop buying things in the quantity they used to it results in a recession.

There are many nations, especially Third World ones where the disparity between the rich and poor is greater than the United States...It sucks to be poor but they are not in recession...Their economies are growing, i.e. India...That renders your monocausal suggestion that inequality in income causes recessions as just wrong

I am a Democrat and have voted so my entire life...What I am not is an effete liberal elitist who condescends to everbody who disagrees with me... And since this thread is about the 08 election, if Obama loses it will because he was seen or successfully portrayed as an "effete liberal elititist"; an African American John Kerry or Mike Dukakis...
    Last edited by everyman68; 06-08-2008 at 08:41 AM.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Its called controlling the rich poor gap. Ever think that may be a contributing factor to our current recession?

Trying to control the rich poor gap is one of the main CONTRIBUTORS to our problems today. We reward sloth and punish achievement. It is a time tested truth, you get more of what you reward and less of what you punish.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by everyman68 View Post
    Who are you referring to?

My reasons for what what is causing the slow down are the same reasons that one hundred out of one hundred classically trained economists will give you, ergo:

"The double whammy of rising oil prices and plunging home prices could turn a mild recession into something more threatening ."

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...pStories_ssi_5

As an economist, I concur - with the explanation that rising fuel costs is one of the main reasons for the housing crisis also.

I think the DNC's decision to deny money from PAC's and Lobbies is the first manifestation of Barack Obama's "change" idea on a big scale(McCain declined to follow suit, HELLO KEATING 5). Hes already making good on his campaign promises and hes not even in office yet.

How is he a pretender?
    The lion's share of the evidence will be seen in the future. He pretends to be qualified for leading this country for one. He pretends to be a Christian. He pretends he didn't know he was a member of a bigoted, race-bating, victim-mentality philosopy church, FOR 20 YEARS! He is a junior Senator from Illinois trying to pretend that change and hope are all that is required to govern a country. Hope won't change anything, effort and hard work do.

Change for the sake of change is wasted and careless.
    Change is only positive if it is: 1. Necessary and 2. for the better.

Obama wants change simply because it makes points with simplistic voters.