Thread: Fish Cakes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Fish Cakes! 
    Salmon patties, croquettes - whatever you call them, I like them. I just made up a bunch for the freezer. These patties don't seem very popular at the moment but they are a great budget meal component and if you make them ahead of time, they solve some dinnertime dilemmas. I like to bake mine.

Do you like salmon patties? Have any good recipes?

Cat food!:eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Cat food!:eek:
    What is the difference between a fish cake and a meat ball or meat loaf aside from the protein? Nothing, that's what. Besides, canned fish (salmon, mackerel, etc.) has a lot of calcium and yummy fish oil stuff in it.

You don't want Ginger to get brittle bones and dry, patchy hair, do you? :eek:

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Old Fashioned Cod Fish Cakes

1 Lb. Fresh Cod Fish or a 1 lb.Box Dried Salt Cod Fish
    4 Medium white potatoes
    1 Medium onion
    2 eggs
    salt and pepper to taste

Remove the fish from it's package. Rinse it under cool running water to remove the outer layer of salt.
    Look at it carefully and pluck out any stray bones you may see.
    If using salt cod:
    Place the fish in a bowl and fill the bowl with tap water. Soak for about an hour, changing the water once or twice during the soaking period.

Boil codfish until tender and flaky. Crumble in medium bowl; let cool. Boil potatoes and mash. Chop onion finely and add to cod fish. Add all other ingredients; mix thoroughly.
    Form into cakes and fry in hot oil until golden brown or brush with oil and bake .

Serve immediately. Makes about eight

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    What is the difference between a fish cake and a meat ball or meat loaf aside from the protein? Nothing, that's what. Besides, canned fish (salmon, mackerel, etc.) has a lot of calcium and yummy fish oil stuff in it.

You don't want Ginger to get brittle bones and dry, patchy hair, do you? :eek:
    Drink more gin !

Salmon patties and crab cakes are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Drink more gin !
    Does that help? Sadly, outside of martinis, I don't drink gin in the winter. :p

Here's how I made mine today:

2 cans salmon
    4 eggs, lightly beaten
    1 red onion, grated
    1 1/2 cup mashed potatoes
    1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
    3 stalks of celery, finely diced
    2 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 tsp. dill
    1 tsp. celery salt
    Red pepper flakes (as much as you like)
    Old Bay seasoning (as much as you like)

Pick over the salmon to remove skin (feed to dogs) and big bones (eat yourself). Flake the salmon with your fingers - don't chop or dump in a food processor.

Add the beaten eggs, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, and celery and mix thoroughly.

Add the mashed potato a little at a time to get the texture you like. The mixture shouldn't be dry but it should hold its shape. Add the spices and seasoning.

Form patties (they should shape well, otherwise add more potato or even potato flakes).

Bake on a lightly greased sheet at 350 or 375 degrees for about 10 - 15 minutes per side. Or dip in panko crumbs and fry in oil.

To freeze, shape the patties on a foil baking sheet, freeze, and individually wrap before storing in a freezer bag. Mark the bag - I say this from bitter experience. Thaw in the fridge. They work best this way when they are not entirely thawed - just extend the cooking time by a few minutes per side.

You can top with a little cheese toward the end of baking or serve with a dill or lemon sauce. :)

Does that help? Sadly, outside of martinis, I don't drink gin in the winter. :p

Here's how I made mine today:

2 cans salmon
    4 eggs, lightly beaten
    1 red onion, grated
    1 1/2 cup mashed potatoes
    1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
    3 stalks of celery, finely diced
    2 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 tsp. dill
    1 tsp. celery salt
    Red pepper flakes (as much as you like)
    Old Bay seasoning (as much as you like)

Pick over the salmon to remove skin (feed to dogs) and big bones (eat yourself). Flake the salmon with your fingers - don't chop or dump in a food processor.

Add the beaten eggs, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, and celery and mix thoroughly.

Add the mashed potato a little at a time to get the texture you like. The mixture shouldn't be dry but it should hold its shape. Add the spices and seasoning.

Form patties (they should shape well, otherwise add more potato or even potato flakes).

Bake on a lightly greased sheet at 350 or 375 degrees for about 10 - 15 minutes per side. Or dip in panko crumbs and fry in oil.

To freeze, shape the patties on a foil baking sheet, freeze, and individually wrap before storing in a freezer bag. Mark the bag - I say this from bitter experience. Thaw in the fridge. They work best this way when they are not entirely thawed - just extend the cooking time by a few minutes per side.

You can top with a little cheese toward the end of baking or serve with a dill or lemon sauce. :)
    When I was a kid typical Friday nights dinners,when we didn't have mackerel, was salt cod fish cakes, home made beans with steamed brown bread..Saturdays were always franks and beans .

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    When I was a kid typical Friday nights dinners,when we didn't have mackerel, was salt cod fish cakes, home made beans with steamed brown bread..Saturdays were always franks and beans .
    I dealt with salt cod as a kid. Sometimes heritage just isn't worth it. :D

I dealt with salt cod as a kid. Sometimes heritage just isn't worth it. :D
    Liver bacon and fried onions was another hated dinner but these days I rather enjoy fried liver if it's calves liver .

Something else that escaped my mind was kidneys .My aunt had a dish she would make thankfully not very often.She would buy a bunch of calves kidneys because they were one of the only meats available at the time. she would boil them to flush out the calf urine .The smell of boiling calf's urine would fill the kitchen and drive the kids out into the snow .

After they cooled she then peel the outer membrane and sliced them up and made a brown gravy and pour this brown crap over toast.I just about gagged every time I ate that stuff but foods food and either I ate that or went hungry .Now days I would enjoy an English Steak and Kidney pie.