Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Steakhouse Black Bread 
    I made this today and just tried it - it's excellent!

From Allrecipes:

Steakhouse Black Bread
    By: MAGGIE MCGUIRE

This Kitchen Approved Recipe has an average star rating of 4.3 Rate/Review | Read Reviews (59)

5,408 people have saved this.

Prep Time: 10 Min
    Cook Time: 3 Hrs
    Ready In: 3 Hrs 10 Min

Original Recipe Yield 12 servings

Ingredients

* 1 1/3 cups strong brewed coffee, room temperature
    * 1/4 cup vegetable oil
    * 1/4 cup dark molasses
    * 2 tablespoons brown sugar
    * 1 cup whole wheat flour
    * 1 cup rye flour
    * 2 cups bread flour
    * 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    * 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast or bread machine yeast

Directions

1. Place all ingredients in bread machine pan in order suggested by manufacturer. Select Dough cycle. When the machine indicates the end of the final rise, remove the dough.

2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Shape the dough into 12 dinner rolls, or one 9x5 inch loaf. Let rise until doubled in size while the oven preheats, they should rise quickly.

3. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven for rolls, or 35 minutes for a loaf, or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
    I followed the recipe exactly except that I shaped my loaf into a round and let it rise and bake in a glass pie dish. I also lightly scored the top of the risen loaf.

This is very good. Good enough to eat on its own or with just butter or cheese but not so "authentic" as to compete with or overpower ordinary sandwich stuff.

This is not the bread for you if you are trying to recreate a black bread from Germany or Finland but it might be for you if you want a hearty, flavorful black bread for daily eating. :)

All Recipes

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I made this today and just tried it - it's excellent!

From Allrecipes:

I followed the recipe exactly except that I shaped my loaf into a round and let it rise and bake in a glass pie dish. I also lightly scored the top of the risen loaf.

This is very good. Good enough to eat on its own or with just butter or cheese but not so "authentic" as to compete with or overpower ordinary sandwich stuff.

This is not the bread for you if you are trying to recreate a black bread from Germany or Finland but it might be for you if you want a hearty, flavorful black bread for daily eating. :)

All Recipes
    Now all you need is a pile of thin sliced Corned Beef and thin sliced red onions,sauerkraut and soda pickles...I need to learn how to smoke German style beef brisket and beef tongue .

Right now I am apple wood smoking a cut up sixteen pound turkey in the Weber and making stock from the turkey carcass .

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Now all you need is a pile of thin sliced Corned Beef and thin sliced red onions,sauerkraut and soda pickles...I need to learn how to smoke German style beef brisket and beef tongue .

Right now I am apple wood smoking a cut up sixteen pound turkey in the Weber and making stock from the turkey carcass .
    We smoke turkeys on apple wood all the time. It's the best wood for slow smoking birds. Cherry is a close second! Char a stick, knife off the carbon and drop it your stock. :)

We smoke turkeys on apple wood all the time. It's the best wood for slow smoking birds. Cherry is a close second! Char a stick, knife off the carbon and drop it your stock. :)
    What does that do clarify it or flavor it ?

One of these days I'm going to try smoking some peppers and make smoked paprika .As I understand it there are three different types and basic mild paprika can be made from ripe bell peppers.Eventually I'll have to come up with a food dryer if I keep this smoking craze up !

What the hell is "Bread flour"? That's like saying "meat steak".
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    What does that do clarify it or flavor it ?
    Just flavor. Yank it out and throw it away when you clarify your stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    What the hell is "Bread flour"? That's like saying "meat steak".
    No, this is like saying, "sirloin steak", "rib-eye steak" or "fillet". What are you - a cooking moron?

There are many kinds of flour for many kinds of ends. Bread flour rises better than ordinary wheat all purpose flour. Since this recipe also calls for whole wheat and rye, you want the best rising white flour possible. Both whole wheat and rye lack gluten. Bread flour makes up for this.

If you didn't have bread flour, you could add powdered wheat gluten to the recipe at one tablespoon per cup of regular white flour.

You could do that if you weren't some kind of cooking zombie.

No, this is like saying, "sirloin steak", "rib-eye steak" or "fillet". What are you - a cooking moron?

There are many kinds of flour for many kinds of ends. Bread flour rises better than ordinary wheat all purpose flour. Since this recipe also calls for whole wheat and rye, you want the best rising white flour possible. Both whole wheat and rye lack gluten. Bread flour makes up for this.

If you didn't have bread flour, you could add powdered wheat gluten to the recipe at one tablespoon per cup of regular white flour.

You could do that if you weren't some kind of cooking zombie.
    Forgive me for not baking my bread on hot flat rocks while chanting, but most folks that come out of the woods now and then refer to it simply as "white flour". And it's not 'cause we're racist either. :p
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Forgive me for not baking my bread on hot flat rocks while chanting, but most folks that come out of the woods now and then refer to it simply as "white flour". And it's not 'cause we're racist either. :p
    Bread flour is a high-gluten flour that has very small amounts of malted barley flour and vitamin C or potassium bromate added. The barley flour helps the yeast work, and the other additive increases the elasticity of the gluten and its ability to retain gas as the dough rises and bakes. Bread flour is called for in many bread and pizza crust recipes where you want the loftiness or chewiness that the extra gluten provides. It is especially useful as a component in rye, barley and other mixed-grain breads, where the added lift of the bread flour is necessary to boost the other grains.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.