Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New 1st amendment fight over M-Rated Video Games 
    Townhall column

In an odd move, Cali got something right. I absolutely support the freedom of speech, and was a burgeoning metalhead in the days of the PMRC and their congressional hearings over evil heavy metal needing to be banned, Walmart refusing to carry albums with the parental advisory sticker, so I'm well versed in fighting for the right to sell your expressions. But putting an age limit on M-rated games ain't censorship. 1. The parent can still buy the game for the kid. 2. I'll wager that there will be many download/mailorder places that will happily be able to go around the California law. 3. Censorship means that your speech is made unavailable for anyone, or at least very large chunks of the population. When Walmart was refusing to carry stickered albums, that meant the record companies were losing huge markets, and many of us who relied on Wallyworld for our tunes because there were no other options around were cut off. In the internet age, such actions mean squat. And 4. It's a state law, not set by Congress, and as noted above, doesn't in reality limit anyone's freedom of speech or expression. The games are still out there, available to the masses. Kids just have to get their parents to put the money on the counter.

What say you, folks?
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

Good it pisses me off when I try playing a game online and there's a bunch of annoying children playing. These games are violent they are too young stop ruining my chill time and maybe do some homework.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Walmart refusing to carry albums with the parental advisory sticker
    Walmart is a private company and can carry or not carry any product they wish. This isn't censorship. However, you were right about the PMRC, which was led by whom? Yep, Tipper Gore. Funny how a lot of leftist think this was a conservative/Republican initiative.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Walmart is a private company and can carry or not carry any product they wish. This isn't censorship. However, you were right about the PMRC, which was led by whom? Yep, Tipper Gore. Funny how a lot of leftist think this was a conservative/Republican initiative.
    From White America by Eminem....

spoken words...

America
    Ha ha ha
    We love you

How many people are proud to be
    Citizens of this beautiful country of ours?
    The stripes and the stars for the rights of men
    Who have died for the protect?
    The women and men who have broke their necks
    For the freedom of speech
    The United States Government has sworn to uphold
    Or so we're told
    So to the parents of America
    I am the damager aimed at little Erica
    To attack her character
    The ring leader of the circus of worthless pawns
    Sent to lead the march right up to the steps of Congress
    And piss on the lawns of the White House
    To burn the casket and replace it
    With a parental advisory sticker
    To spit liquor in the faces of this democracy of hypocrisy
    Fuck you Ms Cheney
    Fuck you Tipper Gore
    Fuck you with the free-est of speech
    This divided states of embarrassment will allow me to have
    Fuck you

Ha ha ha
    I'm just playin' America, you know I love you
    Last edited by Rebel Yell; 11-04-2010 at 12:26 PM.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

That was a big part of the argument at the time. Yes, they are a private company, but Walmart had an unfair market share in many parts of the country (including mine). If they said they would not carry an album, it was a serious shot in the sales report, which could have (did? not sure offhand anymore) lead to record labels not signing bands or releasing albums that Wallyworld wouldn't carry. In the climate of the time, Walmart had the power of censorship. Now of course, that climate has shifted significantly, and nobody gives a rat's rear end if Walmart will stock your CD or not. Imagine though, if iTunes set down such rules? Granted, it wouldn't be as significant, because there are many other online options, but would record labels adjust their output to make sure their product was in the biggest music marketplace? The Walmart situation was a perfect storm of market share and corporate influence, one that we see rising again in things like the need for net neutrality, not letting ISP's offer preferential treatment to content.

And yes it was Tipper Gore, and her good friend Hillary Clinton behind the PMRC, who pulled up Dee Snider in front of Congress, but we right wingers are the evil thought police.
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

Tipper always said she wanted parents to be aware of what their kids were listening to, and that she left the PMRC when they started advocating for actual censorship. I don't know or care how much truth is in that statement, except to say that parents should have been paying attention regardless of whether some Senators' wives tell them to or not. Mine never did, but I wasn't a headbanger in high school, nor did I listen to anything really objectionable. My mom complained about my brother's Foghat records being too loud and "not very melodic", and my dad loathed Van Halen.

My mom did the worst thing about most of our music-she liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post
    That was a big part of the argument at the time. Yes, they are a private company, but Walmart had an unfair market share in many parts of the country (including mine). If they said they would not carry an album, it was a serious shot in the sales report, which could have (did? not sure offhand anymore) lead to record labels not signing bands or releasing albums that Wallyworld wouldn't carry. In the climate of the time, Walmart had the power of censorship. Now of course, that climate has shifted significantly, and nobody gives a rat's rear end if Walmart will stock your CD or not. Imagine though, if iTunes set down such rules? Granted, it wouldn't be as significant, because there are many other online options, but would record labels adjust their output to make sure their product was in the biggest music marketplace? The Walmart situation was a perfect storm of market share and corporate influence, one that we see rising again in things like the need for net neutrality, not letting ISP's offer preferential treatment to content.

And yes it was Tipper Gore, and her good friend Hillary Clinton behind the PMRC, who pulled up Dee Snider in front of Congress, but we right wingers are the evil thought police.
    Again, they're a private company who has the right to carry or not carry any item they choose. That's like complaining that they did't carry the brand of lawn mower you liked. Also, when these types of decisions were being made, the computer age was already upon us. Ordering online is always an option.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Banned
    I was actually semi-pro in Starcraft Brood War in college and there were occasionally like 12 year old kids showing up to tournaments. That's terrible parenting right.

Again, they're a private company who has the right to carry or not carry any item they choose. That's like complaining that they did't carry the brand of lawn mower you liked. Also, when these types of decisions were being made, the computer age was already upon us. Ordering online is always an option.
    They are a private company, and have the right to carry what they want. And when they are the only game in town, the people have the right to pitch a fit about what they are not carrying (or better yet start their own record store). What it came down to at the time though, was that record labels were making decisions about lyrics, album covers, ect, based on what Walmart would accept, giving them, Walmart, an overreaching power over what was being said. Obviously, that power is long gone now. I don't think the lawn mower comparison is accurate, because at least in my experience, the Walmarts haven't quite been able to push the ACE Hardware stores out, even in the small towns, which leaves room for competition and someone else carrying that other brand. I have lived in and been through towns where there are no other music stores in town besides Wallyworld, because they weren't able to keep afloat.

And at the time, some of you advanced folks might have had a 300baud modem to put your phone receiver on and get on the college BBS's, but us poor midwestern hicks were still in awe of the rows of Apple IIc's the school just bought. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan;331933[B
    ]Again, they're a private company who has the right to carry or not carry any item they choose.[/B] That's like complaining that they did't carry the brand of lawn mower you liked. Also, when these types of decisions were being made, the computer age was already upon us. Ordering online is always an option.
    Well, I agree with you unless they were using their monopoly to create other monopolies (if Walmart had a monopoly on retail stores, and they only sold video games they published to create a video game monopoly). But until that happens you are absolutely correct.