Hybrid View

1. #1 Overseas DUers... This American wants to get OUT!!! 
    Sonnabend
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x3835731

skypuddle (884 posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Fri Aug-22-08 12:14 AM

Original message

Overseas DUers... This American wants to get OUT!!!
    Edited on Fri Aug-22-08 12:25 AM by skypuddle
    I'm a 26 year-old graduate student who is currently finishing up her graduate work and wants to go obtain a doctorate.
    In what? Womyns studies?

I wish to continue my studies overseas, as I utterly loathe living in the current pale imitation of the former United States of America.
    GREAT. When do you leave?

I would like any and all advice that anyone has to offer with respect to accomplishing this goal.
    Sure.

For informational purposes, I have a conviction for misdemeanor battery, and a misdemeanor possession of marijuana charge some years in my past.
    Uh, sorry, Australia doesn't take convicted druggies. Clean record needed for entry.

I know that these events will present a major stumbling block in my pursuit of leaving this uber-corrupt nation once and for all, but I feel that offering more available information is always a desirable tactic.
    You'd have had a much better chance if you had not gotten involved with drugs.That conviction will follow you. We don't take convicted druggies.

Sorry. :D:D

rt_from_Ark (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Fri Aug-22-08 12:33 AM
    Response to Original message
    6. The three best ways of becoming a resident of another country:
    1) Marry someone from that country
    Fake relationship applications result in 1. deportation or 2. jail or 3. both.

2) Have relatives in that country
    Wont matter.

Have you ever been convicted of a drug offence?
    Yes.
    Bye.

In your case, maybe 3) would be the best way. You could check out schools in Canada, for example, and if you were lucky you could find one that would give you a teaching assistantship that would pay for your tuition and give you a little stipend to boot.
    What makes you think Canada will take you? They dont like druggies either. :D

"I would like any and all advice that anyone has to offer with respect to accomplishing this goal."

I have a little bit of advice for her: Try not to let the door hit you on your way out.

Working on a doctorate and asking for advice on DU? What a flippin looser.

Move to Iran, where you can be free to express and exercise your political and social positions, or maybe to Cuba, where you can have access to the best health care in the world, or maybe Venezuela, where you will be beloved by Hugo the Most Kind. There are so many better places to be.