1. #1 HUD Dismisses Complaint Against Woman for Ad Seeking 'Christian Roommate' 
    HUD Dismisses Complaint Against Woman for Ad Seeking 'Christian Roommate'

Published November 04, 2010

| FoxNews.com

The U.S. Housing and Urban Development Department has dismissed a civil rights complaint against against a woman in Grand Rapids, Mich., who posted an advertisement at her church last July seeking a Christian roommate.

The complaint filed by the Fair Housing Center of West Michigan.had accused the unidentified 31-year-old woman of posting an ad that "expresses an illegal preference for a Christian roommate, thus excluding people of other faiths."

HUD acknowledged that statements suggesting a preference for one religion are prohibited, but it concluded that the woman in this case didn't violate the law.

"In light of the facts provided and after assessing the unique context of the advertisement and the roommate relationship involved in this particular situation potentially involving the sharing of personal religious beliefs, the Department defers to Constitutional considerations in reaching its conclusion. Accordingly, the Department finds that there is no reasonable cause to believe that the Act was violated in this matter," HUD said.
    Frankly, I'm almost shocked to see a government agency act in a rational manner. :eek:

Fox

A good outcome.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

I sure hope this was a HUD house because if it is not, the gubment needs to mind their own business.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Frankly, I'm almost shocked to see a government agency act in a rational manner. :eek:

Fox
    Rational,Christians...Heads will roll at HUD !

There was a post about this case a few days ago. This is my hometown, so I am somewhat surprised that someone in Grand Rapids, which has "City of Churches" as one of it's nicknames, would be offended that someone else is seeking a christian roommate. This is not a landlord who is saying he will only rent to chrisitans, which would be a violation of equal opportunity laws. This is someone seeking a roommate to share a housing unit.

Then again, I'm wondering if my mom is the one who saw the ad and filed the complaint.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    There was a post about this case a few days ago. This is my hometown, so I am somewhat surprised that someone in Grand Rapids, which has "City of Churches" as one of it's nicknames, would be offended that someone else is seeking a christian roommate. This is not a landlord who is saying he will only rent to chrisitans, which would be a violation of equal opportunity laws. This is someone seeking a roommate to share a housing unit.

Then again, I'm wondering if my mom is the one who saw the ad and filed the complaint.
    What, your mother is a heathen ?

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    What, your mother is a heathen ?

My mother is a liberal christian, who loathes the CRC/RCA people that dominate the population of Grand Rapids, where she lives. She would always accuse the schools of allowing improper religious activities by either the CRC or an affiliated ministry (like Young Life, which is interdenominational, but sponsored by local churches).

I was joking, this isn't really her type of battle. She likes to argue with school personnel.