Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 DUmmies rage about Slobbermann. 
    I try to keep myself above using petty names like that... but I just can't help it with this douche drinker.

onehandle (1000+ posts) Fri Nov-05-10 01:50 PM
    Original message
    Keith Olbermann SUSPENDED From MSNBC Indefinitely Without Pay
    Edited on Fri Nov-05-10 02:26 PM by onehandle
    Source: Huffington Post

MSNBC has suspended star anchor Keith Olbermann following the news that he had donated to three Democratic candidates this election cycle. "I became aware of Keith's political contributions late last night. Mindful of NBC News policy and standards, I have suspended him indefinitely without pay," MSNBC president Phil Griffin said in a statement.

Politico reported Friday that Olbermann had donated $2,400 each to Reps. Raul Grijalva and Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona, and to Kentucky Senate contender Jack Conway. While NBC News policy does not prohibit employees from donating to political candidates, it requires them to obtain prior approval from NBC News executives before doing so.

In a statement earlier Friday, Olbermann defended his donation, saying, "I did not privately or publicly encourage anyone else to donate to these campaigns nor to any others in this election or any previous ones, nor have I previously donated to any political campaign at any level."

Griffin's statement underscores that it was Olbermann's failure to obtain approval, and not the actual political donations, that prompted the suspension. The move is doubly significant in that it represents a major development in the relationship between Griffin and Olbermann, who once told the New Yorker, "Phil thinks he's my boss."

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/05/keith-olberman...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Fox News gives millions directly to Republcans, and Billions to them in free publicity.
    Ahem... your proof? Oh wait... your a DUmmie. Proof isn't needed.

But lets say for shits and giggles that what you say is true. This is an MSNBC policy. Not a FOXNews policy. I'm sure if Olbermann wanted to come over to FOXNews so he can continue to donate, you guys wouldn't care. Right?

curiousdemo (509 posts) Fri Nov-05-10 02:36 PM
    Response to Reply #1
    107. This is Bull Shit!!!
    I nominally don't use that kind of language, but this man constitutional right are being violated by this bozo. I'm sending email right now.
    Really? The Constitution says that we have a right to breach a contract that we legally signed?

Dinger (1000+ posts) Fri Nov-05-10 01:53 PM
    Response to Original message
    3. What About joe scar???
    or (even though it's another network), faux?
    Read above. Or below.

Roma (9 posts) Fri Nov-05-10 02:28 PM
    Response to Reply #3
    69. It seems to be an NBC policy,
    It seems that Fox doesn't follow NBC's rules.
    Expect your stay to be short.

Kookaburra (1000+ posts) Fri Nov-05-10 01:55 PM
    5. They'll change their minds
    He brings in way too many viewers for them to let him go.
    Suuuuure he does.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=102x4602301

130+ posts in this thread. It's on fire.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

And here is the brightest gem in the bunch....Im not sure whether to laugh or throw up.
    Turborama Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Fri Nov-05-10 02:37 PM
    Response to Reply #62
    109. If he went on Al Jazeera English he'd get a global audience Updated at 5:07 AM

I'd love that as I can't get MSNBC where I live and it would encourage more people in the US to watch AJ English.

Kookaburra (1000+ posts) Fri Nov-05-10 01:55 PM
    5. They'll change their minds
    He brings in way too many viewers for them to let him go.
    Tuesday November 2, 2010 Cable News Ratings, Primetime:

Fox News-6,975
    BSNBC-1,957
    All others combined, including BSNBC-5,005
    Cable News Ratings

11/3/10

O'Reilly Factor-4,802
    Olbermann-1,390

Yeah, he brings 'em in alright. O'Reilly's re-broadcast numbers at 11pm are better than all of the other's prime time numbers.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

There are a few voices of reason.
    mudderfudder77 (181 posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Fri Nov-05-10 02:46 PM
    137. People Don't Bother to Read Anymore?

Keith was suspended because he didn't inform his employer - a news agency at least attempting to show objectivity - that he had donated to a political party/candidate.

This rule is in place to protect MSNBC, and give them a chance to make whatever decisions need to be made to notify the audience of Keith's impartiality or lack thereof.

For all we know - Joe Scar did inform MSNBC that he was making contributions.

Keith's problem is that not only did he fail to tell MSNBC, he also made a contribution on the day that candidate was appearing on his show. Thats creepy.
    Most though are ranting about it and are simply failing to show that they have any capacity to be fair or think in a logical manner.
    Moostache (447 posts) Fri Nov-05-10 02:19 PM
    60. I call on Maddow and O'Donnell to refuse to do a show until this is undone.

Just go on camera and sit there for an hour with tape over your mouths and a blindfold over your eyes.

If either of them do not make comment on this issue tonight and in full throat, I won't watch them any more either.

Looks like its on to internet outlets and Democracy Now! as my chief sources for news...
    Deep13 Donating Member (1000+ posts) Fri Nov-05-10 02:38 PM
    110. And the fix is in.

So how much control do bosses have over our non-work lives? It's one thing to do something unprofessional on TV. It's quite another do to ordinary citizen things like privately contribute to a Congressional campaign. Do MSNBC news readers have to get approval from the bosses before voting too?

Obviously, this is a pretext for corporate media to end a very loud progressive voice. When your side suffers damage in a war, it's a good bet the enemy did it.

MSNBC FUonecent Donating Member (1000+ posts) Fri Nov-05-10 02:33 PM
    Response to Reply #80
    84. And anchors on FAUX do not contribute to their political

parties????????????? WTF????
    BR_Parkway (1000+ posts) Fri Nov-05-10 02:33 PM
    Response to Reply #8490. Everything on FAUX is a political donation

otohara Donating Member (1000+ posts) Fri Nov-05-10 02:33 PM
    Response to Reply #80
    85. Meanwhile FOX Donates Millions

and those assholes are always saying shit that should get them suspended.

MSNBC FU

rainlillie (434 posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Fri Nov-05-10 03:30 PM
    Response to Reply #230
    232. Keith carried MSNBC on his shoulders during the horrible Bush years

and made them what they are today and this is the thanks he gets.
    And that's why they're getting rid of him.

Oh, this should be a delicious night of 'splody heads! I just now heard this and I just KNEW that the DUmp would be in full-on meltdown.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Tuesday November 2, 2010 Cable News Ratings, Primetime:

Fox News-6,975
    BSNBC-1,957
    All others combined, including BSNBC-5,005
    Cable News Ratings

11/3/10

O'Reilly Factor-4,802
    Olbermann-1,390

Yeah, he brings 'em in alright. O'Reilly's re-broadcast numbers at 11pm are better than all of the other's prime time numbers.
    Hell, half of that Moonbatmann audience was probably folks like me who just tuned in to watch him melt down the day after the elections.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Maybe Keith should come and post at DU!!! I mean, look how well that worked for Grayson. ;):D
    May the FORCE be with you!

First the election and now this, oh dears!:eek:

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Maybe Keith should come and post at DU!!! I mean, look how well that worked for Grayson. ;):D
    Better yet, wasn't there word Gibbs was leaving the WH, Keith could take his place.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.