Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 "Nelle Harper Lee:Pulitzer Prize winning, Racist." 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    " P.C At Work in America ,What is the matter with these people ?Don't they know the difference between past history and today's life ?"

Racial Slur Prompts School To Cancel Play

PALM COAST, Fla. -- A Florida school committee has canceled a high school production of "To Kill a Mockingbird" because of offensive language in the play.

The theater director at Flagler Palm Coast High School, Ed Koczergo, says the problem is the N-word. Koczergo says the word can't be removed from the script because of copyright laws.

Principal Jacob Oliva says parents, students and community members began complaining about it during the third week of rehearsals. The production was scheduled to open Nov. 12.

Most Flagler County ninth-graders read the novel dealing with racism in a fictional Depression-era Alabama town as part of their course work.

Oliva says the guidance teachers give in the classroom about controversial material isn't available to community members coming to the play.

http://www.wftv.com/news/25642921/detail.html

Nelle Harper Lee (born April 28, 1926) is an American author best known for her 1960 Pulitzer Prize winning novel To Kill a Mockingbird, which deals with the issues of racism that were observed by the author as a child in her hometown of Monroeville, Alabama. Despite being Lee's only published book, it led to Lee being awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom of the United States for her contribution to literature in 2007.[1] Lee has also been the recipient of numerous honorary degrees, but has always declined to make a speech.

I'm dumbfounded that the kids aren't doing the play "Billy has 2 daddy's".

This should come as no great surprise, public, or government schools, are pathetic. I'm surprised that Mockingbird is on their read list.

We can teach 5th graders how to use condoms pretty good though.

Harper Lee joins Mark Twain on the list of allegedly racist american authors, whose only mistake was to portray racist characters using racist language.

And just last night The 'Walking Dead' used the n-word (I hate software-imposed euphemisim) in context and to make a point - on TV.

People have to stop this hyper-sequemish behavior. Being traumatized or outraged by the correct usage of words within a well understood context makes people look like ignorant little morons. It's no different from the genuine prudery of the Edwardian era.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    And just last night The 'Walking Dead' used the n-word (I hate software-imposed euphemisim) in context and to make a point - on TV.

People have to stop this hyper-sequemish behavior. Being traumatized or outraged by the correct usage of words within a well understood context makes people look like ignorant little morons. It's no different from the genuine prudery of the Edwardian era.

I know what you mean, but I will never use the n word in speech. I don't have any reason to use it, and it offends most of the people I work with and live around.

But it is so ignorant for people to go off about a book that decries racism. Do they read the one word and forget about all context? It's like Huckelberry Finn using that term to describe Jim-he is repeating what all the ignorant folk like his crazy father say about Jim. Yet Jim is a far better father to Huck than his own loser dad.

Some words are just intolerable, like the word ni..........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV2m3Vb0Qog
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    it's ironic. It's understandable the kids are ignorant but the teachers/admin are stupid. I suspect they've never read the book or even seen the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    it's ironic. It's understandable the kids are ignorant but the teachers/admin are stupid. I suspect they've never read the book or even seen the movie.
    They might have but they suffer from the usual "elite" mindset: I can take it but God forbid the little people get exposed. Others are rightly worried about an ignorant racial backlash (from non-white racists). Others just don't want to deal with any potential problems. Equality through subtraction wins again.

Remember, Newspeak is the only language that contracts as it becomes more widespread.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    They might have but they suffer from the usual "elite" mindset: I can take it but God forbid the little people get exposed. Others are rightly worried about an ignorant racial backlash (from non-white racists). Others just don't want to deal with any potential problems. Equality through subtraction wins again.

Remember, Newspeak is the only language that contracts as it becomes more widespread.
    So, this would be a double-plus bad situation?

What is amazing about this is that the book is a denunciation of racism, not an endorsement of it. The characters who use the objectionable terms are the obvious villains, and the message is that their behavior is evil and wrong. By removing any negative behavior by the bad guys, the moral lessons are completely lost and the PC crowd defeats itself.

Well, maybe the kids can put on a production of "Hair" instead. Public nudity is okay, right?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    or they could put on The Rocky Horror Picture Show.