Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Olbermann fair? O'Reilly balanced? What we found 
    Stu Bykofsky: Olbermann fair? O'Reilly balanced? What we found

By Stu Bykofsky
    Philadelphia Daily News

Daily News Columnist

BEFORE THE Democrats got battered in Tuesday's election, I decided to check out one of their favorite pincushions - the Fox News Channel's "fair and balanced" motto.

"Fair" can be subjective. "Balanced," less so. Airing contrary points of view is one element of being fair.

Last week, Monday through Friday, I recorded the flagship shows that lead Fox's and MSNBC's prime-time lineups: "The O'Reilly Factor" on right-leaning Fox, and "Countdown with Keith Olbermann" on left-leaning MSNBC. Rush Limbaugh calls it PMSNBC, while Olbermann refers to his competition as "Fix News" or "Faux News." These star-driven vehicles represent their networks.

To some extent, each outlet is a partisan noise machine with a narrow view of the landscape. The other cable news outlets are either not nakedly partisan or too small to be considered.

It is total war between MSNBC and Fox.

A week after MSNBC launched promotional commercials for itself, ending in the slogan, "Lean forward," Fox responded with a promo saying it, and America, "Moves forward."

The methodology: I scored each guest politically as either "left" or "right." Those defying classification were "neutral."

(snip)

Here are the totals for the week:

"The O'Reilly Factor" welcomed 20 guests from the right, 11 from the left and seven who were neutral. Left and neutral voices combined almost equaled those from the right.

"Countdown with Keith Olbermann" had 20 guests from the left, two neutral and not a single voice from the right. Zero voices of dissent.

So, if you never want to hear anyone challenge liberal views, lock in on Olbermann. While progressives disdain Fox's claim of being "fair and balanced," "The O'Reilly Factor" does present opposing views. O'Reilly will cut them off in midsentence, true, but he even does that to people who agree with him. (Shock therapy might help.) Olbermann seems unable to even listen to anything other than progressive orthodoxy.

If the tea party wants a "theocracy for white males," as he said, Olbermann could be an imam. He offered a paltry four women among his 22 talking heads, 18 percent. (Wasn't Joy Behar available?) Only two African Americans got face time.

O'Reilly had three African Americans and scattered 18 women among his 38 guests, for 47 percent. (Don't expect NOW to give him an award.) O'Reilly had three Hispanic-surnamed guests; Olbermann had two.

When it comes to their sources of news, too many Americans live in "silos," protected from contrary views. We'd do better, learn a bit more, by listening to some opposing ideas.

You get that from Fox's O'Reilly, not MSNBC's Olbermann.
    :eek:

Read more: http://www.philly.com/dailynews/loca...#ixzz14Ykgtmfg
    Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Very interesting. I didn't expect the paper to actually be fair. Maybe there is hope.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Very interesting. I didn't expect the paper to actually be fair. Maybe there is hope.
    Common sense is breaking out all over the place. :eek:

(Women and minorities most affected, as always.)

Well, their not gettin nothing from Olbermann anymore. :D
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

I've often said this about Bill O. He has more progressives and liberals on his show in one night than his competition has conservatives in a month. O'Reilly even brings in Code Pink's Medea Benjamin regularly.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Well, their not gettin nothing from Olbermann anymore. :D
    NPR will snatch up this little gem!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    NPR will snatch up this little gem!
    Naaaah... MSDNC can afford to screw with Olbermann because NPR can't afford him. Besides, if you suddenly went from the hushed, whispered tone of most of NPR's talk shows to Olbermann's lunatic rants, you'd blow out the synapses and eardrums of every leftist within earshot of the speakers at Whole Foods Market.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Naaaah... MSDNC can afford to screw with Olbermann because NPR can't afford him. Besides, if you suddenly went from the hushed, whispered tone of most of NPR's talk shows to Olbermann's lunatic rants, you'd blow out the synapses and eardrums of every leftist within earshot of the speakers at Whole Foods Market.
    Very funny. It's amazing how it looks like the same shoppers at Whole Foods, whether St Louis or Sarasota. My problem is I like their food. I get a kick out of laughing at some of the libs. They are so very earnest. :D
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

I've never really watched any shows on MSNBC. I've watched Rachel Maddow at my sister's house, because my sister likes her. That's about it. I'm shocked that MSNBC is still in business, I don't know anyone who watches it regularly, including my sister (she has two kids).

I watch O'Reilly if there is nothing else on. I think he's pretty fair-not just about letting the "other side" have a voice, but he is pretty clear about differentiating his opinion from the facts. He does need to lighten up about Steven Colbert's act-1. Colbert is mocking Hannity and Tucker Carlson far more than he is mocking O'Reilly and 2. There is an element of respect in Colbert's jokes about Bill, that is lacking in his treatment of other FOX news people. He calls him "Papa Bear".

From what this article points out about Olberman's show, Jon Stewart/TDS is more balanced in it's guest list. It is a comedy show, and they only have one guest per show, but the line-up is usually pretty diverse.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Very funny. It's amazing how it looks like the same shoppers at Whole Foods, whether St Louis or Sarasota. My problem is I like their food. I get a kick out of laughing at some of the libs. They are so very earnest. :D
    That they are. Did you ever watch The Goode Family when it was on? That show skewered them, and I was amazed that ABC had the guts to air it at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hp-BB7R2qo
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!