Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Is bigger better? Large women gaining acceptance 
    Is bigger better? Large women gaining acceptance

By Chris Jordan, (East Brunswick, N.J.) Home News Tribune
    Big is beautiful.

Just ask Gayle Stallings of Linden, a big gal and proud of it.

"I used to be the one who would hold the pocketbooks for the skinny girls at the club," said Stallings, a size 20. "That pretty much motivated me to change the way I look at size. You have to be more accepting of who you are, and you have to accept your body."

There may be a gradual shift in American culture to greater size acceptance. Celebrities such as Queen Latifah, Mo'Nique and Wendy Williams have helped make plus-sized women glamorous on TV, movies and in music. TV programs such as the FOX dating reality show More to Love and the CBS sitcom Mike & Molly portray big women in a non-judgmental way. On Broadway, the plus-sized Tracy Turnblad is the protagonist everyone roots for in Hairspray.

Williams' big shoe size (one foot is a size 11, the other a 12), has been a topic of discussion on The Wendy Williams Show.

"Growing up in Ocean Township, I didn't even know they made size 11 shoes," the statuesque entertainer said on her TV program recently. "I was always balling up my toes to fit in a size 10."

Now, Williams said, she accepts her big feet (post-bunion surgery) and her large size in general. "(Big-footed) women, unite!" she said.

In magazines, Glamour made headlines when it ran a picture of 5-foot-11, 180-pound model Lizzie Miller exposing her midsection last year. The naked, round belly caused such a sensation that the model was interviewed on NBC's Today.

On a more intimate level, Gayle and her husband, Tyrone Stallings, operate the Babs BBW (Big Beautiful Women) social club, which holds mixers and nightclub events for plus-sized women and their admirers monthly in the New Jersey-New York City area.

Tyrone Stallings founded the group in 1993.

"When I first started, people were laughing at me," he said. "How can I be the only guy who really adores plus-sized women? I couldn't see that. ... Guys who liked plus-sized women were in the closet — ashamed and were embarrassed about it."

The club was the first successful African-American BBW social group in the New Jersey-New York City area, Stallings said. Babs BBW parties now drawing several hundred people to each event.

"When I formed this (club), I showed guys they didn't have to be ashamed," he said. "We said, guys who are in the closet (about liking big women), you can come, and girls, you can come to Babs and wear your sexy clothes. The bigger the better."

As America becomes more diverse, the standards of beauty are broadening and have become more diverse, too.

"For so many years, there was a certain look white men preferred and a look black men preferred, and it still goes on to this day, but with hip-hop (music) breaking down the wall between white and black and with the intermingling, your perceptions change, too," said Jeremy Miller of Metuchen, former editor of the Source magazine and owner of Down magazine, which follows Southern hip-hop culture.

Hip-hop star Sir Mix-a-lot celebrated full-figured women way back in 1992 with his hit single "Baby Got Back," and the emergence of Latin music stars like Jennifer Lopez and Shakira over the last 15 years has given the look a new dimension.

"Big girls are being more exposed through hip-hop," Miller said. "The people who put the women in the videos are not using true models, but real-life women who might be your sexy neighbor."
    I think overweight women and men are becoming more accepted but not because of hip hop videos. Those women are professional, biracial dancers, not your next door neighbor and they aren't usually overweight although they tend to have bigger chests and rear ends.

Overweight women are becoming more accepted because there are so many of them. Heck, our Surgeon General is an obese woman.

USA Today

The big Cheese
    Im sorry but this is not hot.

that is just fucking gross.
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafod View Post
    Im sorry but this is not hot.

that is just fucking gross.
    In the immortal words of quagmire "fat girls need love too but they have to pay"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Overweight women are becoming more accepted because there are so many of them. Heck, our Surgeon General is an obese woman.
    Yep - all the overweight people are accepting each other, but I don't see any skinny good looking people moving up a weight bracket in their dating game or anything like that. If a person can get a skinny attractive mate, they still tend to prefer it.

As I get older its taking more and more work to maintain myself and I've had some periods where I lapsed a little into the slightly overweight category.. but even having a slight taste of what its like to be a little overweight, I have to say.. damn it is just uncomfortable as hell. Sitting down, walking, everything is just kind of miserable when you're carrying a little too much extra weight. That was a powerful motivator to shape up... maybe its different for other people, but I don't understand how one can let themselves become grossly obese - it makes life hell.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Yep - all the overweight people are accepting each other, but I don't see any skinny good looking people moving up a weight bracket in their dating game or anything like that. If a person can get a skinny attractive mate, they still tend to prefer it.

As I get older its taking more and more work to maintain myself and I've had some periods where I lapsed a little into the slightly overweight category.. but even having a slight taste of what its like to be a little overweight, I have to say.. damn it is just uncomfortable as hell. Sitting down, walking, everything is just kind of miserable when you're carrying a little too much extra weight. That was a powerful motivator to shape up... maybe its different for other people, but I don't understand how one can let themselves become grossly obese - it makes life hell.
    I'm with you. It just feels bad to be a little overweight. I can only imagine what that feels like x100. Every little thing must be just torturous. Still, a lot of people don't mind it enough to do anything about it. It's a complicated problem.

I don't know-some men find heavy women attractive. In my case, part of the reason I have some extra weight is that I'm a great cook who likes to eat what I prepare. If a man is looking for a wife or girlfriend who can cook for him, picking an aneroxic/bulemic is not really the way to go.

But I am not Monique-sized, and never have been that huge. I'm still losing weight, although it's slowing down the closer I get to my goal. I've got about a size and a half to go, and a lot of what seems to be happening now is muscle-building. But I'm not trying to be a 6. I'm 5'10". I'll be happy in a 14. I went up a cup size since I started swimming, so I doubt my shirt size will ever be smaller than a 14:).

The big Cheese
    thing is Im rocking 280 now and the last time I was 280 felt like crap.

I dont now but thats because I lift and workout.

I know plenty of guys that are really big but dont have issue because they are strong.
    Last edited by Zafod; 11-09-2010 at 12:41 PM.

The big Cheese
    I am cutting right now to shed 30 lbs before my wedding in march

Quote Originally Posted by Zafod View Post
    thing is Im rocking 280 now and the last time I was 280 felt like crap.

I dont know but thats because I lift and workout.

I know plenty of guys that are really big but dont have issue because they are strong.
    I am 320 and I have no problems. I work out but I still have a gut, over all I am in good condition and most young guns have difficulty keeping up with me. You are absolutely correct just because someone is "Over Weight" don't make them in poor condition.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    My girlfriend has a sister that is quite heavy. Not Monique-sized but a weight bracket or two below her. She is a big girl. The thing is, she very beautiful facially and her body rocks. The weight is distibuted so perfectly. There are very few women who can carry extra weight this well and the ones that do always look good. She is much sexier with her ample and voluptuous curves than most skinny women.