Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 OSU President: TCU, Boise State don't deserve to play for national title 
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Even if TCU and Boise State run the table, they still don't deserve to be in the Bowl Championship Series title game, Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee said Wednesday.

In an interview with The Associated Press, the president at the university with the largest athletic program in the country said that TCU and Boise State do not face a difficult enough schedule to play in the national championship game.

Gee, long an admirer of the BCS and the current bowl system, said he was against a playoff in the Football Bowl Subdivision because it was "a slippery slope to professionalism."

A former president at West Virginia, Colorado, Brown and Vanderbilt universities, Gee said he favoured the "mixed-up mystery" of the current system.

LINK

Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    fuck him...this is why the NCAA Div 1 needs a Playoff system, to shut these dipshits up. He's a moron ever other level of the NCAA has a playoff system that works just fine.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    More from the pointy-headed academic:

"Well, I don't know enough about the Xs and Os of college football," said Gee, formerly the president at West Virginia, Colorado, Brown and Vanderbilt universities. "I do know, having been both a Southeastern Conference president and a Big Ten president, that it's like murderer's row every week for these schools. We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor. We play very fine schools on any given day. So I think until a university runs through that gauntlet that there's some reason to believe that they not be the best teams to [be] in the big ballgame."

Gee, long an admirer of the BCS and the current bowl system, said he was against a playoff in the Football Bowl Subdivision.

"If you put a gun to my head and said, 'What are you going to do about a playoff system [if] the BCS system as it now exists goes away?' I would vote immediately to go back to the bowl system," he said.

He said the current system is better for the student-athletes.

- SNIP -

"You know, it's a mystery," Gee said. "We were No. 1 then No. 11 then No. 7 and we ended up playing for the national championship. I think I kind of like that mixed-up mystery."
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5845736
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

I notice that he put "student" ahead of "athlete"...
    He said the current system is better for the student-athletes.
    Good for him!

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post

Gee, long an admirer of the BCS and the current bowl system, said he was against a playoff in the Football Bowl Subdivision because it was "a slippery slope to professionalism."

I suppose the playoff systems in the other collegiate sports isn't a "slippery slope to professionalism." The NCAA basketball tournament is one of the biggest things going and a huge moneymaker for the NCAA yet this moron doesn't speak out against it.

We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor. We play very fine schools on any given day.
    Ohio State
    Ohio
    Eastern Michigan

Michigan
    UConn
    UMass
    Bowling Green

Penn St.
    Youngstown St.
    Kent St.
    Temple

Wisconsin
    Austin Peay
    San Jose St. (Boise St. opponent)
    UNLV

Michigan St.
    Western Michigan
    Florida Atlantic
    Northern Colorado

Nooooo, Big 10 schools don't play weak sisters. Even the SEC the powerhouse teams(Florida, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Auburn) play weak teams like Appalachian St., Louisiana-Lafayette, Idaho St., Georgia St., San Jose St., Duke, Tennessee Tech, Louisiana-Monroe, UTEP so this guy getting all high and mighty is disingenuous.
    Last edited by NJCardFan; 11-24-2010 at 11:29 AM.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

but it would be funny as hell if they did play for the title. It'd break up the BCS bull real quick.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    but it would be funny as hell if they did play for the title. It'd break up the BCS bull real quick.
    I'm no Boise St. fan but yeah, the best way to shut them up is to play them and beat them. Also, it's to my understanding that Boise St. offered to play some of the bigger schools but they've all pretty much said no so who knows who's right.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I'm no Boise St. fan but yeah, the best way to shut them up is to play them and beat them. Also, it's to my understanding that Boise St. offered to play some of the bigger schools but they've all pretty much said no so who knows who's right.
    Boise State wants everyone to come to Boise, though. Until you become a real powerhouse, you play anybody, anywhere. You are not in a position to negotiate. Miami and FSU built their reps by playing anybody, anywhere, not by pretending they have clout by beating up on a division 1 1/2 conference.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Boise State wants everyone to come to Boise, though. Until you become a real powerhouse, you play anybody, anywhere. You are not in a position to negotiate. Miami and FSU built their reps by playing anybody, anywhere, not by pretending they have clout by beating up on a division 1 1/2 conference.
    Bullshit.....Miami and FSU built up there schools the old fashion way, they bought it and now they don't want to share. That is why the SEC, Big Ten and the BIG 12 refuse to go to Boise. They can't stand the fact that they would probably get their ass handed to them on the Smurf turf.

For four years, both TCU and Boise State have been cleaning the clocks of all they have played.....and now we are on the verge of either TCU or Boise State breaking up the monopoly of the BCS, the crooked Big Ten and SEC start crying foul...

You are going to see all hell break loose when Alabama beats Auburn and their bought and paid for quarterback this weekend and Auburn drops to 5th or lower in the standings.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I suppose the playoff systems in the other collegiate sports isn't a "slippery slope to professionalism." The NCAA basketball tournament is one of the biggest things going and a huge moneymaker for the NCAA yet this moron doesn't speak out against it.

Ohio State
    Ohio
    Eastern Michigan

Michigan
    UConn
    UMass
    Bowling Green

Penn St.
    Youngstown St.
    Kent St.
    Temple

Wisconsin
    Austin Peay
    San Jose St. (Boise St. opponent)
    UNLV

Michigan St.
    Western Michigan
    Florida Atlantic
    Northern Colorado

Nooooo, Big 10 schools don't play weak sisters. Even the SEC the powerhouse teams(Florida, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Auburn) play weak teams like Appalachian St., Louisiana-Lafayette, Idaho St., Georgia St., San Jose St., Duke, Tennessee Tech, Louisiana-Monroe, UTEP so this guy getting all high and mighty is disingenuous.

What you say is true, but they DON'T play them every week.

Where the teams you mention in the bigger conferences play 2-4 patsies a year, Boise State and TCU play 2-3 decent teams a year and the rest of their schedule is filled with patsies.

This is not meant to disrespect Boise State or TCU, I think they deserve a chance to play in a PLAYOFF system. That would eliminate the issue.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.