Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Researchers: Doctors must work on trust with Muslim patients 
    Researchers: Doctors must work on trust with Muslim patients

November 10, 2010, 8:35 a.m.

Mon, 08 Nov 2010 17:55:05

By Rita Rubin, USA TODAY
    U.S. doctors must become more attuned to Islamic beliefs and values that could affect the physician-patient relationship with Muslim Americans, researchers found in a recently released study. This will become even more important as the U.S. Muslim population of nearly 7 million continues to grow, they found.

In focus groups of Muslim Americans, "women would say, 'I delay care because I can't find a provider that's of the same gender. They want me to put this gown on, but I'm uncomfortable,' " says the study's lead author Aasim Padela, a Muslim emergency medicine doctor at the University of Michigan who is a visiting fellow at the Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies in London.

Assessing how a preference for doctors of the same sex and anxiety about a revealing hospital gown might contribute to health care disparities between Muslims and other religious groups is tricky, Padela says, because patient databases identify individuals by ethnic group and race but not by religion.

Pockets of Pakistani Americans, whose native country is 97% Muslim, provide some clues, Padela says. For example, he says, an analysis of New York City residents found that Pakistanis were less likely to have had a screening colonoscopy — shown to reduce the risk of colon cancer — than Caucasians.

In the Journal of Medical Ethics, Padela and co-author Pablo Rodriguez del Pozo, a medical ethicist at Cornell University's Weil Medical College in Doha, Qatar, describe a scenario in which a woman wearing a hijab, a Muslim religious head covering, comes to the emergency department complaining of leg pain after a fall. She asks to see a female doctor.

According to Islamic bioethics, a Muslim patient's first choice of a doctor would be one who is also Muslim and of the same sex. Second choice would be a non-Muslim of the same sex, followed by a Muslim of the opposite sex and a non-Muslim of the opposite sex, Padela and his co-author write.
    I find this astonishing. Most women, regardless of faith, prefer a female doctor for female issues. As someone who practices Christian modesty, I continually have to request drapes so that I'm not left sitting around half naked as people come and go. This is an issue of patient accommodation, not an issue of Islamic outreach.

USA Today

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I find this astonishing. Most women, regardless of faith, prefer a female doctor for female issues. As someone who practices Christian modesty, I continually have to request drapes so that I'm not left sitting around half naked as people come and go. This is an issue of patient accommodation, not an issue of Islamic outreach.

USA Today

I agree. Muslim women aren't the only modest ones.

As far as the draping goes, it's not just an issue of modesty-it's cold in the doctor's office! They always have the a/c going strong.

Researchers: Doctors must work on trust with Muslim patients
    Why?

If somebody doesn't trust me, they can move on down the road. The fact that I have my bonifides on the wall should be trust enough.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Sonnabend
    U.S. Muslims must become more attuned to American beliefs and values that could affect the physician-patient relationship with other Americans, researchers found in a recently released study. This will become even more important as the U.S. Muslim population of nearly 7 million continues to grow, they found.
    Better.

Banned
    I hope my doctors(s) are not sensitive to their wants/needs. There is always an airplane or camel they can take to see the doctor of their choice.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

USA Today
    Most woman of modesty would request adequate coverings for themselves while waiting in an examination room.

Islamics seem to demand to be accommodated in all things to satisfy their primitive desert tribal sixth century female restrictions.

They demand special considerations over the rest of us.That being the case they should go exclusive to their own Muslim doctors and if non are available they either use our doctors, without special considerations or return to their homelands.

The Muslims politicians in Indonesia refuse to touch FLOTUS when she offered her hand because of the Muslim restrictions concerning a woman's menses being unclean and by default a woman's whole body.

About Menses (Haiz)
    http://www.islamicinformation.net/20...-in-islam.html

While having their period under Islamic law a woman is more like a leper than a normal human being.They may not even pray or fast until they are free from bleeding .

This goes back to biblical days when Jacob/Israel,Leah and Rebeca were fleeing his father in law Laban .
    When Laban caught up with them he demanded his stolen household idols and he entered their tents to search for them.

33 And Laban went into Jacob's tent, and into Leah's tent, and into the two maidservants' tents; but he found them not. Then went he out of Leah's tent, and entered into Rachel's tent

34 Now Rachel had taken the images, and put them in the camel's furniture (saddle), and sat upon them. And Laban searched all the tent, but found them not.

35 And she said to her father, Let it not displease my lord that I cannot rise up before thee; for the custom of women is upon me. And he searched, but found not the images.The taboo of a woman in her Menses was very strong even in the early tribal days.

There seems to have been a strong restriction,even a definite taboo of blood ,shed or otherwise
    during the desert tribe days .

"Islam is still strongly living in her sixth century desert tribal traditions while Israel has largely retreated from hers except for Sukkoth,The Feast of Tabernacles (Booths) !"

Again when the Angel of death was about to kill Moses for disobeying GODS commandments his wife saved him by castrating their son to fulfill the decrees of GODS law.

Zipporah at the inn is the name given to an episode alluded to in three verses of Exodus. It is one of the more unusual, curious, and much-debated, passages of the Pentateuch. The verses in question are Exodus 4:24–26, the context is Moses and his wife Zipporah reaching an inn on their way from Midian to Egypt to announce the plagues to the Pharaoh:

On the way, at a place where they spent the night, the LORD met him and tried to kill him. But Zipporah took a flint and cut off her son Gershom's foreskin, and touched his feet with it, and said, "Truly you are a bridegroom of blood to me!

"The Angel in the form of a snake recoiled at the sight of the blood and backed away regurgitating Moses whom he had swallowed up to the thighs.." It was then she said, "A bridegroom of blood by circumcision."

7 Once again Jacob’s descendants wrestle for their survival while this angel is stirring up huge “dust” clouds by the nations insisting that Israel bow to their demands, thereby “clouding” the Jews’ vision of themselves as being G-d’s chosen nation.

The big Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I hope my doctors(s) are not sensitive to their wants/needs. There is always an airplane or camel they can take to see the doctor of their choice.
    they have doctors?
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafod View Post
    they have doctors?

They are talking about American muslim women, and building good doctor/patient relationships.

This is about encouraging muslim women to seek medical care and routine screenings for early detection of cancer, among other things. It's not about giving any kind of advantage to muslims over everyone else, it's more about reaching out to women who are afraid to get a pap smear and helping them overcome the religious and cultural restrictions that make them question the need for that care. It's what doctors do.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    They are talking about American muslim women, and building good doctor/patient relationships.

This is about encouraging muslim women to seek medical care and routine screenings for early detection of cancer, among other things. It's not about giving any kind of advantage to muslims over everyone else, it's more about reaching out to women who are afraid to get a pap smear and helping them overcome the religious and cultural restrictions that make them question the need for that care. It's what doctors do.
    No, it's about being concerned for Muslim women in a way that they are not for Christian or Orthodox Jewish women. I've been treated sarcastically for modesty issues or for not needing advice on the more exotic sexual opportunities out there. It's demeaning. They would not do that to a woman who looked "foreign".

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

We could always tell them "pap smear or die?" I can't stand this pandering crap (PC). They are in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA> If they demand to be treated like nomadic goat herders from the 7th century, go back to Arabia.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand